Page 1 of 2
If you like to meditate, want to start meditating, or are just interested in the subject then this is the thread for you.

I have dabbled with meditation for a little under a year now, on and off never really fully getting into it, but I have recently started meditating more and more.

The first step is to actually start meditating. I always say I'll do it later and then blow it off. But I have realized that when I end up doing it, I love it. However, trying to calm all my thoughts and the hardest part of trying to sit still is a challenge, but it gets easier each time.

Any of you pit monkeys want to try and start meditating daily with me? If a bunch of us try and put aside even 20 minutes a day to do it, I'm sure it would benefit us all.
Quote by genghisgandhi
People in Connecticut have nothing to be stressed about. Why would you meditate?

Two of the stupidest things I've seen you say. But I'm sure you're just BSing, or at least hope so.
Quote by genghisgandhi
People in Connecticut have nothing to be stressed about. Why would you meditate?

because we're so close to your state, obviously.

but what part of the state are you from, TS?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I have no interest in meditation. I rarely ever like to sit still without being occupied in some way, it feels like a waste of time I could be using to play guitar, read a book, etc.
Quote by genghisgandhi

People from New Jersey don't have the right to judge other people's stress levels. If I was from Jersey i'd be stressed all the ****ing time because just being from/in Jersey would so deeply and horribly affect my conscience at all times. To be from Jersey is to have a terrible weight bear down upon you because you feel the need to show people that not all people from Jersey are spray tanned, horrible drivers.

But yes, I've wanted to start meditating for a while. Sounds intriguing.
Quote by High&Mighty
Southern CT, near Bridgeport. You live in CT too?

i'm about 15 minutes from Danbury.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I try to meditate a few times a week, plus every Friday when I actually have a meditation class at my acupuncture school. If practiced regularly meditation has great effects in many areas of life.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I have no interest in meditation. I rarely ever like to sit still without being occupied in some way, it feels like a waste of time I could be using to play guitar, read a book, etc.

That is what I thought, and I have barely only begun to meditate. Honestly, the first couple of times kind of sucks. Sitting still is a challenge for me cus i twitch a lot, but you get used to it. And you are doing something, meditating. It might not seem like it from an outside perspective, but you should try it. It is quite refreshing and from what I've read you can go pretty "deep."
Quote by genghisgandhi
What, did your wicker furniture get sun bleached?

Lil B would dissapointed in your antics.
I'll do it with you. I always try on and off and I never can seem to make a habit of it. The thing is that when I am meditating I feel so much better, and I generally start eating healthy and exercising as well. It really serves to make me more disciplined, mostly.

I usually try to just watch my breath and focus on the in and out, taking note of when I get distracted. After a week or so you get better and better. The problem is that if I sit for more than 15 minutes or so my back and legs start to hurt unbearably.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Sitting still in silent meditation for an extended period of time is one of the most challenging things you can do in life.
Yeah, i cant sit still at all. I would love to try and start meditating, but i cant keep my leg or my head still i always feel a twitch or something, and I can never clear my head there is always shit running through it.
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Quote by Ganoosh
I'll do it with you. I always try on and off and I never can seem to make a habit of it. The thing is that when I am meditating I feel so much better, and I generally start eating healthy and exercising as well. It really serves to make me more disciplined, mostly.

I usually try to just watch my breath and focus on the in and out, taking note of when I get distracted. After a week or so you get better and better. The problem is that if I sit for more than 15 minutes or so my back and legs start to hurt unbearably.

Sweet maybe we can finally discipline ourselves to do it more and more. I've got the same thing with my legs. Past 20 minutes and it just gets uncomforable. I try and just focus on the breathing like you said, and then if I find myself thinking of my legs or even other thoughts racing in my head, I turn back to my breath. It usually helps.
What do you do when you meditate? Do you clear your mind and sit, cross-legged, in a blank state, breathing in and out, or... what?
Quote by Rising
What do you do when you meditate? Do you clear your mind and sit, cross-legged, in a blank state, breathing in and out, or... what?

Like I said, I'm a novice so Idk if what I do is right. But yeah I sit indian style, straight back, head up, and open my mouth slightly and breath through there. The hardest part for me is not moving and getting that blank state. Clearing your mind is a serious challenge, but once you do it, the state that you get into is just awesome. From what I've read and experience focusing on breathing is what helps to clear your mind. You try to breath in for like 6 seconds then out for the same time. Eventually not counting (so that your just in a pure clear mind) and just being used to it.

There is other positions that you can do it in though. Also, your arms don't neccesarily need to be like what you would typically see in a movie or something. Basically any position that is comftorable. The back straight and head up is to create an aware mind and not be 'sloppy' I guess it the word though, I think.
I've meditated on and off ever since I learned about lucid dreaming. I've never really gotten into it too deeply, but it's interesting.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
have you heard of self hypnosis? It's a form of meditation and I used to practice it regularly but slowly got out of it. It was pretty amazing though.
I went through a faux Buddhist stage during the summer after ninth grade, and a little into tenth. I loved "meditating," but I could never do it correctly without the aid of hydrocodone, which I'm pretty sure defeats the purpose.
Quote by High&Mighty
You sure you weren't just getting a good nod on

You're going to tell me that Siddhārtha's enlightenment didn't have anything to do with the indigenous poppy plants of India?
I don't think I could meditate, because I fear it would always turn out like when I found the best spot to hide in hide-and-seek as a child, and had to go to the bathroom 10 seconds later.
I think everyday everyone in the pit should meditate twice a day for twenty minutes.

Just think, UG would get 40 minute reprive from pointless threads....
I've meditated a few times. They were no more than 10 minutes though.

What I do when I meditate is focus on my breathing like the TS said. That is, I focus on the air going in, the air in my lungs, and the air going out. And when the inevitable thought comes up, I try to merely label it as a "thought" and go back to trying to focus on my breathing. Eventually if I try hard enough, there's a very very small window where my mind is clear; I don't even focus on breathing and no wandering thoughts bombard my mind. But again, that's if I'm lucky and if I try really hard.
Quote by cornmancer
Lil B wouldn't be disappointed in him, because Genghis is Lil B. It's really the only logical explanation from where I sit.

Seems rational enough; they both say ridiculously stupid things to get other peoples' attention. I think you're onto something.

More on topic, I meditate every day. It's part of my training. It's very very beneficial, and there's a truly noticeable difference when I don't as far as mindset and focus go.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Oct 14, 2011,
this thread inspired me to try self hypnosis again. I just listened to a 10 minute audio track I have on my ipod from about 2 years ago and it was amazing. I feel great now, I highly recommend trying it out. I swear to God I'm not an adbot, but I'm gonna post a link to a free email lesson (im 95% sure it's the one that i did a few years ago) that explains how self hypnosis works.

http://www.selfhypnosisaudios.com/free_self_hypnosis_home_study_course.html
I have been meditating for seven years now, which a two or three month break after the first couple years. You can me some questions if you want, and I will try to be of help.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Both are successful at it, apparently.

Depends on your idea of success. I'm pretty sure none of us here are looking at either of you thinking "Man, that guy's got his shit together. I sure do respect him for his intelligent and well spoken views."
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Depends on your idea of success. I'm pretty sure none of us here are looking at either of you thinking "Man, that guy's got his shit together. I sure do respect him for his intelligent and well spoken views."

Not what I'm going for.

And this;

album is really good for meditating (or I assume it is.) I usually don't like electronic music, but this is so hypnotic and relaxing, it's great.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Oct 14, 2011,
Another forum I post on has some crazy people who believe they opened and aligned their chakras and control stuff around them with it. Astral projection and entering the dream world which they insist is dangerous and to never go there without training. One even admits to summoning a demon to align the chakra for him.

The mental illness is strong with them.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by genghisgandhi

album is really good for meditating (or I assume it is.)

It's not. Meditating to sound is unbelievably hard.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Page 1 of 2