Poll: Which would you choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you choose?
Reincarnation
50 63%
After life
29 37%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 2
If you could choose at birth weather you wanted to live your life knowing that when you died, you would go to Heaven/Hell or be reincarnated as a human again, which would you choose? For the sake of this thread, we'll use the Christian and Hindu model.

Afterlife - If you lived a good life, you go to Heaven, which is essentially Paradise, for all eternity. If you lived a bad life, you go to Hell for eternity.

Reincarnation - You are born into a caste where you live and work your whole life. If you live a good life, you move up a caste. So if you live a good life as a street cleaner, you come back as, lets say a merchant. If you lived a bad life as a merchant, you become a street cleaner. If you do this long enough, you can attain nirvana, a state where you are free of suffering.

So what would you want to live know would happen? I'd go with reincarnation. I would love to have another life waiting for me after this one, no matter what my situation is.
After life easily. What good is reincarnation if you don't remember your past life? You might as well just die.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Your on a rampage tonight.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by StewieSwan
After life easily. What good is reincarnation if you don't remember your past life? You might as well just die.

Some dudes claim to know who they were in previous lives, like the Buddha and Salman Rushdie.

I'd choose afterlife/lives.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
After life. I want to remain me.

Quote by bradulator
Some dudes claim to know who they were in previous lives, like the Buddha and Salman Rushdie.

yeah but nobody ever finds out they were some random person who did nothing and then died without leaving any impact
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Oct 14, 2011,
depends. I wouldn't want to basically exist for all eternity if my family, gf/wife, people I loved, etc. weren't there. I think that would be miserable. It would suck to get reincarnated and not remember your past life too. At that point why not just die. I'm satisfied just living my life and enjoying it while I can. If I just cease to exist when I die that's fine too. I'm happy, and not like I'll know if I just cease to exist haha
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Invalid img)

Would that mean that if you bought someone back from the brink of death, that you would be causing a stillbirth somewhere else in the world?
Quote by Swannie
yeah but nobody ever finds out they were some random person who did nothing and then died without leaving any impact

Yar, I don't care about the legitimacy of their claims, but if you're a Hindu/Buddhist and therefore believe in reincarnation, then there is a chance of remembering your past lives.
I'd come back as a butterfly....nobody ever expects the butterfly.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by genghisgandhi
Well I assume most of us grew up knowing what they were, so I didn't bother going into too much detail. Sorry if I offended you.

It's cool dude, my comment did seem asshole-ish
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Heaven would be nice, but i have no problem with nirvana either. I just want to be free from stress, pain and suffering.
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Quote by devourke
Would that mean that if you bought someone back from the brink of death, that you would be causing a stillbirth somewhere else in the world?

Oh shit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Reincarnation.

Although the afterlife model does sound appealing, living in the same body/state/mind for eternity would probably drive me crazy.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Reincarnation.

Although the afterlife model does sound appealing, living in the same body/state/mind for eternity would probably drive me crazy.

That's how I feel. I kinda feel like the only way I'd be happy in Heaven is if I could go back to Earth as a person and not some ghost or whatever, which is probably against some rule. Starting a new life would be so cool, even if I didn't remember my past one.
Fuk reincarnation. I lucked out being born a tall, white, wealthy American, but odds are I'll be a poor Indian/Chinese kid.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by zincabopataurio
Reincarnation.

This.

It's the contrast of life that makes it interesting. Eternal happiness or anguish would be horrible.
Given that both systems you've mentioned in the OP are inherently limited by the structural constraints of the religions they come from, neither.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by due 07
This.

It's the contrast of life that makes it interesting. Eternal happiness or anguish would be horrible.

Misunderstanding eternal happiness.

Its the best thing ever, all the time.
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by due 07
This.

You wouldn't be able to think it's horrible because an interesting life would be pointless cause everything would be perfect. That's what "eternal happiness" is assumed to be. Your state of mind would not be earthly, and therefore everything would be perfect.

I do agree that eternal happiness in the present imperfect state of being human would be boring and lame, though.
Last edited by bradulator at Oct 14, 2011,
Quote by XianXiuHong
Reincarnation. I don't think any being deserves eternal happiness just because they spent some 70-80 years being a nice guy.

You're taking reincarnation because you don't think you've suffered enough?
Quote by genghisgandhi
You couldn't have played along? I get that it's flawed, but come on.

I dunno. Maybe if I changed them to my preferences and what standards I think would have to be met, but that'd be a bit vain.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Fuk reincarnation. I lucked out being born a tall, white, wealthy American, but odds are I'll be a poor Indian/Chinese kid.

or even a women.... shit that would suck.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
or even a women.... shit that would suck.

I would love it.

brb life is easy
It would be cool to drift through universe with a bunch of other dead people for an eternity
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
reincarnation. afterlife seems like it would be a lot less fun.

and with afterlife, let's say it's 50/50 what happens, but with reincarnation it's only 8,791,894 in almost 7 billion that you'd end up in that place you don't want to end up.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Reincarnation. I already outlived those assholes that wanted to go to heaven why the hell would I want to join them?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Portuguese_boy

What if you're born by cesarean section? And that is one long and dry looking vagina.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Page 1 of 2