I'm trying to get the sort of tone you hear on lots of 'alternative' and indie music, with the lightly distorted power chords and leads that I can't describe, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bHNrLbpSE

That sound's more about the effects and amps and recording techniques but I just want to get the strings that'd be most suited to it. I usually stick to Ernie Balls and, all tone aside, I've narrowed my choice down to Super Slinky, Hybrid Slinky or Regular Slinky; Extra Slinky feels too thin and all the others are too thick and difficult to play on.

So, for that style, do I need thick or thin top strings and thick or thin bottom strings?
i think that you should get whatever you feel comfortable using.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
should i get a, b, or c. if you get a you might like this about them, same with b and c. just go with one and see how they are.
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Strings are about preference. Besides, why are you trying to get someone else's tone? What are you giving to the guitar world by imitating someone else? Shouldn't you be trying to discover your own sound? Maybe if you do that, someone will ask one day, "how do I get that sound" which of course will result in a never ending cycle...
Thicker strings means better tone, but it's all about feel too. You gotta be able to press and bend those big ol' strings.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
if you want a good gritty tone that isn't too wild and over the top distorted, I find Diaddario .10s are the best
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
For some reason EB strings always break on me. Since I've switched (anything other than EB) I really never break a string. I thought that strange. I used them for years thinking breaking strings was normal until one day I bought a pack of GHS strings and like them.

Anyway, you're thinking about it too much. You need what is comfortable for you.
Quote by AsOneIStand
Strings are about preference. Besides, why are you trying to get someone else's tone? What are you giving to the guitar world by imitating someone else? Shouldn't you be trying to discover your own sound? Maybe if you do that, someone will ask one day, "how do I get that sound" which of course will result in a never ending cycle...

^Ugh. This answer.

If someone has found a tone they like, and want to work towards it, what is wrong with that? If I hear a guitar voice that I like, yeah, I'll try to figure out what the person is using. Plunging into the world of gear with no idea what you're looking for is guaranteed to make you waste money. On the other hand, you can find sounds you want from your favorite CD, work your way towards them, and then find your own sound on the way.

Back on topic: Strings are cheap. Try one at a time, and if you hate it? Wait till they break. In my experience, even if you don't like how a set of strings play, it's never bad enough to just take the strings off and start over.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
To a certain extent. If the "tone" you're after requires....say the Zakk Wylde set with the 60 or 70 6th string and you don't have the finger strength to bend them and/or they are just too big for your little fingers (if you have little fingers). They aren't going to help you at all.