Hey guys, I guess you know about Ibanez RGD series, http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=199&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=478 ,

They are made for drop tunings. I readed that pickups are also made for drop tunings, so my question is, if i use standard tuning, would i have a bad tone or other difficulties? And if there are such problems, how to solve them?
You're overthinking. What tuning you play in is very far down on the list of things that affect tone. Yes, some pickups do sound bad when you downtune to a certain point, but usually the higher you tune, the better you're going to sound.

And, honestly, I'm not even sure it's about what you're tuned to as much as it's about how much tension you have with your strings.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I mean uh, this guitar is a drop tune guitar, factory tuning is D, and I want to take it to E, then while tuning into E, what can i do about string tension?
First off, Ibanez pickups typically aren't that great, so don't expect them to be amazing for drop tuning. Secondly, the scale is only 1" longer than normal. You should be able to use regular strings for E standard, but if you're concerned, stick with smaller gauges, like 9s.
Quote by Offworld92
What tuning you play in is very far down on the list of things that affect tone.

... what is this... I don't even...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Only Thİng I Ask Is Tuning A Factory Drop Tuning Into Standard! Tone Is Not The Main Discussion
Quote by cemges
Only Thİng I Ask Is Tuning A Factory Drop Tuning Into Standard! Tone Is Not The Main Discussion

You can tune a guitar however the hell you want, mate. The longer scale gives more tension so you can use thinner strings than usual. As long as the guitar is set up properly, it will be fine.
You see... you tune the guitar... UP! Thus raising the pitch of all the strings! It's that simple!
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
... what is this... I don't even...

this.

I'm not going to start another where tone comes from, hopefully it's obvious to everyone now.

But really. Tuning has a rather large affect on tone. Tune to standard, set your amp to your liking. Now drop everything to Drop Bb. You're tone will change, not to mention probably add mudd and buzz if you have thin strings.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Really?

The tuning you're in doesn't change tone. Yes, it sounds different, because you're playing lower frequency notes, but that's not the same as your tone changing. If I play an open note in standard, and then play a second fret in D standard, it sounds pretty much exactly the same. You're going to get a slight difference because the strings aren't as tense.

But if you use thicker strings to compensate tension, playing a E in C standard (4th fret) and playing an E in E standard (0th fret) is going to sound the same. Playing notes that are lower than standard is not the same thing as altering tone. That doesn't even make sense. Basically saying that means that you're saying that your tone is altered every time you play a different note.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Really?

The tuning you're in doesn't change tone. Yes, it sounds different, because you're playing lower frequency notes, but that's not the same as your tone changing. If I play an open note in standard, and then play a second fret in D standard, it sounds pretty much exactly the same. You're going to get a slight difference because the strings aren't as tense.

WAT. The sound you produce from playing guitar = your tone
So it doesn't change your tone....but it sounds different....because of the frequencies....which sounds the same.....since it doesn't change....got it.

Metal bands tune down low, know why? I'll tell you. They do it because......it gives them a darker sound and tone

No, tuning low doesn't always make you heavy, but it can certainly help get a darker tone and sound.

If you read what I said, if you had loose strings too. You cannot tell me you can just go on an amp, set your tone, play in standard. Get some super thick ass strings, tune it down to like, F like an 8 string, and say "the tone is the same."
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 15, 2011,
Some pickups respond differently to the tuning. Like the BKP Painkiller, it really starts to open up once the tuning is dropped to at least C, because it was designed to open up at dropped tunings, but to low and it gets muddy.

Its all in the design of the pickup, you can't really counter the problem other than just replacing the pickup with something that reacts differently.