So UG recently did a column in the news section of their homepage showcasing their Top 10 Metal Covers. As anyone who read this saw, half the list didn't belong under metal, and the other half had been so overplayed it's ridiculous. Now I'm not one to criticize, so I'll stick with this; Some people love the Peavey 6505, others the Marshall JCM 800, and some are even crazy enough to drive an Orange Rockerverb 30 hard enough to get metal tones. Why, when there's a hundred amps out there that all do metal for cheaper? Opinion. It sounds better to their ears. So I thought about it and instead of whining about where I disagree with their list, I thought; Wonder how the rest of UG's intellectual (by my definition, not spitting uninformative bullshit at the first sign of a UG article) members think.

So I came up with my own top 10 list but I'm always excited to hear new covers I haven't heard before, and sometimes by recommendation listen to one I didn't previously like to find my tastes have changed enough to like it. So here goes.

My top 10 list.
1. Fear Factory - Cars
2. Iced Earth - Burnin For You
3. Firewind - Breaking The Law
4. In Flames - World Of Promises
5. Opeth - Remember Tomorrow
6. Decameron - 2 Minutes To Midnight
7. Nocturnal Rites - Wasted Years
8. Machine Head - Message In A Bottle
9. Disturbed - Livin After Midnight
10. Mushroomhead - Crazy

Feel free to criticize but keep it relative please, lol. Before I get jumped with "USE THE SEARCH BAR NEEEEEWB RAAAAAAAH." I did. Twice. I actually got 3 of those covers from an archived thread forever and a day (half a year ) ago, and it was google that led me to this, not the search bar. Why bring it up now then if it's been done before? This new article UG posted is bound to stir up the pot a bit. Before the article was posted, this thread would be irrelevant. But in light of that, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about it. As long as this thread's kept ON TOPIC CHILDREN, might turn into an interesting discussion and we might even be able to put together an extensive list for the less-informed I'm just asking for some opinions as to how you feel about the list and how you'd change it. There's some 3:30AM nothing-better-to-do madness for ya

Dear Moderators: If this belongs in a different forum, or simply in the pits of hell itself, by all means. Read the rules and helpful threads before I posted and spent the past half hour trying to make sure I put it in the right spot. Only thread I found had been closed and archived, I was hoping to get some informative feedback here seeing as the comments on the article itself had been flooded with craptalk and spam.

Should also add I find it highly ironic I stopped my playlist of Meshuggah to check out some covers for this list, and after it was compiled I shifted to Sugar Ray - Into Yesterday.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
1. Dancing Days- Stone Temple Pilots, originally by Led Zeppelin
2. Tuesdays Gone- Metallica, orginally by Lynyrnd Skynyrd
3. I Will Survive- Cake, originally by Gloria Gaynor
4. Andy Warhol- Stone Temple Pilots, orginally by David Bowie
5. Break on Through- Stone Temple Pilots, origianally by The Doors
6. Come Together- Aerosmith, originally by The Beatles
7. I Shot the Sheriff- Eric Clapton, originally by Bob Marley
8. Landslide- Smashing Pumpkins, originally by Fleetwood Mac
9. Love Song- 311, orignally by The Cure
10. Live and Let Die- Guns N' Roses, originally by Paul McCartney and the Wings

EDIT: I now realize this was supposed to be metal cover... disregard this post
Last edited by chronic_stp at Oct 15, 2011,
My top 10 listwould probably be something like this
1. Skindred - Back In Black, Sounds Skindred, but still AC/DC, that's what I like in a cover!
2. Norther - Final Countdown, Old time classic with great growls, what could go wrong?
3. Kilgore - Walk Brutal song, brutal cover, and the "crappy" sounds make it even more brutal
4. Andy Rehfeldt - Halo (metal version) look for it on youtube, it's amazingly well made, andy rehfeldt is a genious!
5. Korpiklaani - Juodaan Viinaa Originally by the finnish "humppa" artist Hector, this is a nice version!
6. Trivium - Master Of Puppets I just like it, I kinda like Matt Heafys singing more maybe? Not sure.
7. Five Finger Death Punch - A New Level really great and agressive version of a great song.
8. Kingston Wall - Fire Don't know if you can call it metal, but KW are so proggy it's hard to call them anything except Kingston Wall
9. Iron Maiden - Doctor Doctor Well, it's Maiden, too bad it's with Blaze Bailey, but it's still really good.
10. Nightwish - Phantom Of The Opera Pure epicness in metal form! It's awesome!
Quote by henrihell
Originally by the finnish "humppa" artist Hector, this is a nice version!
Hector is not a humppa artist...
Don't know if you can call it metal, but KW are so proggy it's hard to call them anything except Kingston Wall
Yeah, man! They couldn't just be progressive rock, no way.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by henrihell
My top 10 listwould probably be something like this
1. Skindred - Back In Black, Sounds Skindred, but still AC/DC, that's what I like in a cover!
2. Norther - Final Countdown, Old time classic with great growls, what could go wrong?
3. Kilgore - Walk Brutal song, brutal cover, and the "crappy" sounds make it even more brutal
4. Andy Rehfeldt - Halo (metal version) look for it on youtube, it's amazingly well made, andy rehfeldt is a genious!
5. Korpiklaani - Juodaan Viinaa Originally by the finnish "humppa" artist Hector, this is a nice version!
6. Trivium - Master Of Puppets I just like it, I kinda like Matt Heafys singing more maybe? Not sure.
7. Five Finger Death Punch - A New Level really great and agressive version of a great song.
8. Kingston Wall - Fire Don't know if you can call it metal, but KW are so proggy it's hard to call them anything except Kingston Wall
9. Iron Maiden - Doctor Doctor Well, it's Maiden, too bad it's with Blaze Bailey, but it's still really good.
10. Nightwish - Phantom Of The Opera Pure epicness in metal form! It's awesome!

Listening to Halo now, lol. This takes me back 3 years to when I first met my gf Left the radio on the local r&b station (she was a fan of that stuff then) this song came on a crap ton during sexy time lol. Diggin' it so far :P

&Nightwish did a fantastic job of Phantom Of The Opera. Once Tarja was kicked out I stopped listening to em though, she made the band what it was. After she left I saw a vid of her doing a nightwish-vocals style cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit with a piano backing her up. Havent listened to anything Nightwish since.

KW never heard of but I do love prog so I'll have to check them out.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
1. Sentenced - White Wedding (Billy Idol cover)
2. Amon Amarth - Balls to The Wall (Accept cover)
3. Sentenced - The Trooper (Iron Maiden cover)
4. Arch Enemy - Aces High (Iron Maiden cover)
5. Children of Bodom - Mass Hypnosis (Sepultura cover)
6. Children of Bodom - Aces High (Iron Maiden cover)
7. Norther - Final Countdown (Europe cover)
8. Kalmah - Skin O' My Teeth (Megadeth cover)
9. Megadeth - Anarchy in The U.K (Sex Pistols cover)
10. Slayer - Dissident Aggressor (Judas Priest cover)
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Shatner's cover of 'Victim of Changes' does it for me.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Shatner's cover of Common People is hilarious to re-enact whilst drunk.

It's a toss-up between Edge of Sanity's 'Blood of my Enemies' or At the Gates' 'Captor of Sin'.

Or simply 'Ten Masked Men'. The perfect band to show to your 'normal' friends for shits and giggles.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
^ Boss have you checked out Necromantia's 'Each Dawn I Die' cover? Truly the king of Manowar covers!

Also, Shatner's cover of Iron Man is hilarious, in a Harold And Maude sort of way. There are more pinch harmonics in the song than there is dead bodies in Rambo IV.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
moonsorrow - for whom the bell tolls
agalloch - kneel to the cross
Last edited by diatom at Oct 15, 2011,
On a serious note, I'd say that Saint Vitus's cover of Thirsty and Miserable is great
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm