Ive been into some more complicated bends lately, and when i try to bend a string with 3 fingers on it and vibrate it, i feel like suddenly i dont have nimble guitar fingers but three stone blocks hugging the guitar. They dont move! I can vibrate properly with one finger - but i can hardly move three fingers up and down the fretboard to produce a vibrato.
The fingers shouldn't move. The rotation should come from the wrist, so the hand moves as one unit.
Quote by mdc
The fingers shouldn't move. The rotation should come from the wrist, so the hand moves as one unit.

Indeed, do it from the wrist. Its sort of a round motion, like twisting a door knob.

Try taking 5 minutes every day for a week just bending strings, making sure your pitching is spot on, and vibratoing it very slowly, making it clean and comfortable. In time it will natural build and speed up by itself.
Yes, it's from the wrist and forearm, not the fingers. Start bending the B string a half step and seeing if you can get some even vibrato happening. Actually, you should use a metronome and rock the string in time with the tempo. This will give you a very even and wide vibrato, really nice sounding one.
Quote by LennyB
Actually, you should use a metronome and rock the string in time with the tempo. This will give you a very even and wide vibrato, really nice sounding one.

TS, this is good if you're playing modern rock, but not blues or classic rock. The type of vibrato varies between these styles of music.

In Blues and Classic Rock, the vibrato is shallower, but can still be aggressive (Angus Young).

For tone wide rock vibrato, the best person to listen to Yngwie, no doubt about it.
Quote by Standarduser
How can a i work with a metronome on my bending?

Set it at about 70bpm, then, from it's resting position, rock the string back and forth (up and down up respectively) in eighth notes. These directions apply to the top 2 strings, any lower string will be the opposite.

Remember that the motion comes from the wrist. Also, when returning the string to it's original position, don't push it back up (or down), but rather let your fingers run with the string at it's own accord.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 18, 2011,
where would you say the vibrato is coming from in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yUJBAX0B2k

I've been trying to clean up my vibrato to be more like Stevie Ray or Zakk Wylde but in this song I find it easier to just power it out with my fingers. I just don't have the speed by rotating my wrist. Is it something that will just come with time???
Quote by z28dylan
I just don't have the speed by rotating my wrist. Is it something that will just come with time???

Quite simply, yes. It get's to a point that when improvising or just noodling, every time you land on a note that you decide to hold for a while, you'll end up adding vibrato to it. Almost like some kinda habit you can't kick.

I actually see that as a good thing cuz it's not really direct, focussed practice, but instead you're just having fun making music and throwing it in randomly. And every time you do that, you're developing your vibrato all the time, although on a much less conscious level.
Quote by z28dylan
where would you say the vibrato is coming from in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yUJBAX0B2k

I've been trying to clean up my vibrato to be more like Stevie Ray or Zakk Wylde but in this song I find it easier to just power it out with my fingers. I just don't have the speed by rotating my wrist. Is it something that will just come with time???

thats all wrist.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Yes, it's from the wrist and forearm, not the fingers. Start bending the B string a half step and seeing if you can get some even vibrato happening. Actually, you should use a metronome and rock the string in time with the tempo. This will give you a very even and wide vibrato, really nice sounding one.
Quote by jkielq91
Indeed, do it from the wrist. Its sort of a round motion, like twisting a door knob.

Try taking 5 minutes every day for a week just bending strings, making sure your pitching is spot on, and vibratoing it very slowly, making it clean and comfortable. In time it will natural build and speed up by itself.

Very good advice. It is not a good thing to force things to happen. Practice daily and everything can be achieved in terms of guitar playing
I know everyone is saying practice, practice, practice, as everyone always says in these situations, but that is the only solution

for me vibrato wasnt that important, until i realised i wasted 3 years "shredding" (i sucked. possibly still suck, probably still suck ...), and finally spent about 3 months getting my vibrato to where i wanted it to be (friedman, skolnick, rocky george sort of thing)

my advice would be continue to 'imitate' the guitarists you already are, and possibly use lower guage strings
Some of my excessive vibratos sound like a whammy bar.

My vibratos:

1) standard left and right vibrato, very passive
2) standard 'door opening' vibrato, use this a lot in blues rock
3) whammy bar vibrato for the nastier stuff

Whac
this thread has me questioning my vibrato...... never specifically worked on it....

i think its ok lol......

unless im missing something
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0bZNwUi64

Ive been trying to bend and vibrate the strings like this guy, but only when i really try hard, i can bend the third string near the fifth string. And after i put all my strength, it doesnt really sound "blusey".

Quote by jkielq91

round? you mean just moving the rist, or making circles with it?
Last edited by Standarduser at Oct 20, 2011,
I practice bends on an acoustic...Its good finger exercise. You might want to try it yourself
Last edited by wammybarnut at Oct 20, 2011,