My buddy, heavily into metal, wants to learn to play guitar after playing piano for 11 years. He wants an RG350DXZ. Just wondering if there are any major faults with the guitar. I know the trem is probably meh and the pickups are meh, anything else he should be aware of? He's gonna get a Fener Mustang as an amp.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Heavily into metal and wants a fender amp? I've never heard a fender amp with decent distortion...
The RG350DXZ is very good for it's price range - as Ibanez guitars often are - and it's good for metal... but, I wouldn't recommend getting a guitar with a double locking tremolo system as your first. Then again, I wouldn't recommend getting one at any point of your life, as I've found that I can achieve good enough stability with non-locking systems as well. Also, with metal music, players often change tunings, and for that, locking trems are kind of a bitch.

Also, @ henrihell: I've read lots of reviews on the new Mustang amps, and they are said to have decent enough distortion, even for metal music.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by henrihell
Heavily into metal and wants a fender amp? I've never heard a fender amp with decent distortion...

From what i've read and heard, the Mustang is Fender's big step into the modeling amp arena. Kind of like a response to the vypyr and spider iv.
Quote by henrihell

supersonic says hai.

RG350 nah. I wouldnt bother tell him to get a rg321 (or any of the other hard tail models) instead locking trems are too much of a hindrance for a first guitar.
Plus thats the one with the edge zero 2? nobody knows if they are even built to last so i wouldnt risk it.
Quote by henrihell

That's probably because you've never heard of Fender MH 500 Metalhead.
Quote by rv_phoenix
That's probably because you've never heard of Fender MH 500 Metalhead.

I have, and I was disappointed.

OP, I'd advise you have your friend go to his nearest music store and try a few ibanez's. The one you mentioned has an edge zero 2 tremolo bridge. ZR = great tremolo. Edge = tag Ibanez puts on anything they make out of poo disguised to look like metal. You've got a one in ten chance of that edge zero bridge being worth squat. Tuning stability doesn't exist with my experience with edge's.

Get your buddy to try a couple ibanez S- series, for example if he's dead set on whammy bar, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-s420-electric-guitar <- This has the ZR I mentioned earlier.

but if he can deal with fixed bridge (MUCH easier, HIGHLY recommended for a beginner seeing as tremolos are LOADS more work to set up and re string) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg3exfm1-electric-guitar <- Buddy had one of these. Reliable axe.

Amp wise; theres 80% of your tone. TRY. BEFORE. YOU BUY.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
The RG350DXZ is very good for it's price range - as Ibanez guitars often are - and it's good for metal... but, I wouldn't recommend getting a guitar with a double locking tremolo system as your first. Then again, I wouldn't recommend getting one at any point of your life, as I've found that I can achieve good enough stability with non-locking systems as well. Also, with metal music, players often change tunings, and for that, locking trems are kind of a bitch.

This.

I made this mistake for my first guitar. I had to pay a guy to change my strings for the first year. I would recommend something like the RG3EX1, good guitar, far less hastle.
Sorry, forgot to mention he will buy a Virtual Sounds Chainsaw distortion pedal. He also is considering the Godin Session. He want to be into metal but wants to learn scales, etc., first. Choices are limited as he must go to a Long and McQuade.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
This is my friends first guitar and amp. Yes he wants a metal-y sound but would like some cleans as he wants to learn the theory part of it first, and IMO it would be easier on cleans than distortion.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 16, 2011,
Some fender amps don't have distortion. Wel uh, after trying to tune my rg270, I'll never buy a floyd rose guitar never again. Go for a fixed bridge guitar. Like ICT700
Personally I wouldn't bother a Floyd for someone's first guitar. Plenty of nice Ibby's with a hardtail.

Mustang's a great for a beginner. Very versatile.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by cemges
Some fender amps don't have distortion. Wel uh, after trying to tune my rg270, I'll never buy a floyd rose guitar never again. Go for a fixed bridge guitar. Like ICT700

2 negatives= a positive.

Buy the guitar. If he cant figure it out block the trem. Easy as that.
I told him about the Floyd, he's now heavily leaning towards the Godin Session.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 16, 2011,
Blocking trem would screw the guitar, may be replace trem witt floyd rose fixed
Quote by cemges
Blocking trem would screw the guitar, may be replace trem witt floyd rose fixed

How would it screw the guitar? Do you know anything about trem systems?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Yeah, I'd recommend something like the RG2EX1. You definitely want a fixed bridge for your first guitar.

Also for an amp, get a Peavey Vypyr.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Recommendations are awesome guys, but there is no gurantee that an RG2EX1 or the Vypyr would be in stock. The closest L&M is 5 hours away, so its not an short trip to try these things out.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
dont need whammy unless your going to use it. if you friend is really looking to get into guitar he wouldnt be bad since 11 years of piano has done alot for his fingers so it would probably be a good start with. i got my first guitar with a trem and i didnt use as much as i thought i would. tell him to go to guitar center or local music store to try out some guitars. also craigslist list might have some good deals.