So this is actually a good couple of years old but I just remembered it randomly and looked it up again. Some of you may have seen it before (particularly Aussies who watch the New Inventors ) but if you haven't it's pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHruV7TRtjw

It's a collapsible strat that fits in a backpack. Probably not an altogether amazing guitar but hell, I want one, and I don't even really like strats.

Please ignore the dullness of the Aussies on the show
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
It's in interesting idea... not something I would need, and probably not something that will catch on anytime soon. That would be a pretty heavy backpack, though.

Also on a random note, that guy is freaking huge! He makes that guitar case near the beginning look like a little toy.
meh i can imagine it'll feel horrible.

besides, what's up with a normal gig bag that has shoulder straps or a hardshell case in the back of a car if your guitar needs to be transported...

i can't see gibson, fender, ibanez, schecter, jackson etc taking this up idea in the near future... or even the distant future... or in fact ever.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Well yeah if you watched the vid he said it loses about a semi tone to a tone but I mean I would tune a guitar before I played it anyway. Granted most of my guitars have locking trems (and by extension locking nuts) and I haven't needed to tune them in weeks, but if they didn't have them, then I would.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
^ Yeah hit post like 20 seconds before it got to that bit. Couldn't be bothered editing at the time. I figured somebody would correct me.
I think it will catch on eventually as more and more people are flying. I know that if I went traveling that would be my first choice to take with me. And for those of you saying it sounded like crap remember this, he played it through a weak little amp without a mic and without tuning it before he played it.
I'm fairly sure it's just a set of parts that you could add to the production of most guitars so you could (not that anyone would) take a proper American Strat or something and build it with that I guess. But I imagine he probably used a bunch of cheapo Squire-like parts or something, just for a prototype.

Still, if the hello kitty strat with the EMG is any indication, you could probably chuck some awesome pickups in there and have a surprisingly decent guitar.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀