Page 1 of 2
Okay, so not-so-recently my amp was stolen out of my car, but that's a story for another time.
Anyways, I gave up guitar because I was so irritated with losing the amp, and I really, really want to get back into playing.

So, here we go;
Budget: $400-$500
For the love of god, please don't recc and solid states.
I'd take used, but the used market in Idaho is... terribad.
I play a lot of deathcore, drop tuned heavy stuff.
It'll be home use, but I always have drummers that want to jam.
Uhhh... my current gear is just a Jackson DKMG.

I think I hit everything you guys ask, so... suggestions, more questions?
Man, your budget is pretty tight for a new Metal amp. I mean, look at Mesa Boogies and Randalls, they all command prices above 1000 when new. Even Peaveys reach to 6-700 bucks.
On the other hand, there are good amps below 500, but they are not suitable for Metal.
I guess you better try to save some more, then you can give a try to a Peavey 6505 at about 750 USD when new. That's the least you can pay for a good Metal amp.
Well, I said I'm down to do used, I mean, I actually want to go used. I'm more than willing to pay shipping on a really nice used amp.
I just want to know if there's anything great out there other than the generic 6505 combo that I could easily get for that price range used.
Like I said, I haven't been browsing things boards for awhile, and am really curious if anything nice came out, that could be bought relatively cheap used.

I think i rambled way too much in that, but you should get the point, haha.
Used 5150 2x12 combo you can get them for $400-$500 all day.
Used Peavey Ultra 2x12 combo is about the same $400ish.
You can find used Peavey Triumph 60 combos for <$200 and they are really underrated amps. They are the first generation of what became the Ultra/XXX/JSX line.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There's a reason why so many people use the 6505, it's damn good for metal! As heavy as the 2x12 is, it's worth it over the newer 1x12 combos. For that budget, you could also go with one of the tube power sectioned peavey vypyrs (the 60w 1x12 combo). Might be able to find one of those used with a sanpera 2 footswitch under $500.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Well, as of now I'm thinking the 5150 212, I just don't want to shell out the extra couple hundred to make the cleans usable.
I may or may not make a trip up to guitar center to play with the Vypyr tubes..

Are there really no other affordable metal amps other than Peavey?
For metal, at that price point? You could look at Bugera and Jet City as well. Might be able to find a Traynor YCV50, which is a very good amp, but not really metal unless you boost it.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I've always been interested in Jet City, but I heard you have to boost them? Which I'd have no problem spending money on a tubescreamer, if it was going to be worth it.
And what about Carvin?
yeah Jetcity has a 50watt 2x12 combo that is nice. but it will be a little over your budget.

Bugera amps arent bad, but with some of the reliability issues that have been talked about, I would only buy new and avoid a used Bugera like the plauge. And I own a Bugera 333. Never had an issue in almost 2 yrs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah Jetcity has a 50watt 2x12 combo that is nice. but it will be a little over your budget.

Bugera amps arent bad, but with some of the reliability issues that have been talked about, I would only buy new and avoid a used Bugera like the plauge. And I own a Bugera 333. Never had an issue in almost 2 yrs.

I actually owned the 333xl stack, and that's what got stolen from me.
I honestly just want to stray away from Bugera, and try something new.
There's Jet City, but when it comes to metal, Peavey really dominates the lower priced market. They're just really great amps for the prices you can get used. Their MIA stuff is built like a tank.

I'm selling a 5150 212, but it's really a pain in the ass to ship, so that adds a lot onto the price. Craigs List is your best bet with that.

I cannot recommend the Vypyr Tube highly enough. I have a Vypyr Tube half stack, and I've literally used my 5150 once since I got it. The distortion isn't as "kick you in the nuts", it sounds slightly more digital, but it still sounds really damn good, and the tons of other features and sounds in the amp (great cleans and good crunch) make it a thoughtless choice. When it comes to versatility & sound quality, nothing else compares that you can get for that price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by TheDefected
I've always been interested in Jet City, but I heard you have to boost them? Which I'd have no problem spending money on a tubescreamer, if it was going to be worth it.
And what about Carvin?

Only the JCA 20 needs boosting, the JCA 50/100h are budget versions of a Soldano SLO, which is what the 5150/6505 amps are baised on.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheDefected
I actually owned the 333xl stack, and that's what got stolen from me.
I honestly just want to stray away from Bugera, and try something new.

I feal for you man, That sucks. I had a Gibson LP studio, Fender P-bass and Ibanez SR 300 bass all stolen from my old storage space.( at the same time )
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheDefected
Quick question, why do you choose the Vypyr over the 5150?

Well I got the 5150 because that's what all my favorite bands used, and I thought that would be my dream amp. After getting it, and playing it for a while, and learning a lot more about gear, I just realized that while it's a great amp, it's not the right amp for me. It worked for those bands, but I'm not those bands. I personally require a lot of flexibility in my tone. I will most likely never buy any amp again that has under 3 channels. The Vypyr just covers that flexibility like a blanket. There's honestly nothing, no style that I can't do with it. It's built kind of cheaply, it's MIC instead of my MIA 5150, but sonically, it just covers a ridiculously larger amount of ground.

And you may seem skeptical, but I assure you, this amp does not sacrifice high gain tone. I use the Dual Rectifier model as my main distortion sound, and while it doesn't sound like a true Dual Rec, it's just such a great metal sound that I have no complaints.

Also, I am an avid Vypyr user, I've also owned the 15W, and I also own the 75W as well. There is talk of there being software issues, freezing and such, and I will say that it does happen once in a blue moon on the SS models. I have not had any issues with my Tube yet though. I think a user here, 311 can also attest to that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They make a 50 watt 2x12 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheDefected
You DO NOT need a boost to get metal of any kind out of a Jet City 50h or 100h.PROOF. I had the gain at about 5 in that video, no boost, and even that was too much gain (the mids were also a bit too high). Oh, and it can do cleans too.

The 2x12 combo is not the same as the 100 or 50 watt heads. It's based on the Soldano Lucky 13, while the heads are based on the Hot Rods (vid of one of those doing metal (not mine)). They have a combo version of the JCA50h, but it's a 1x12: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76846000001000.

The Carvin V3 is great and should suit your needs, but it's out of your budget (head, micro head, and combo).
Quote by Robbgnarly
Only the JCA 20 needs boosting, the JCA 50/100h are budget versions of a Soldano SLO, which is what the 5150/6505 amps are baised on.

jc50/jca100 are actually based on 2 channel hot rods iirc. Not the slo. Still good amps though.
Quote by coolstoryangus
jc50/jca100 are actually based on 2 channel hot rods iirc. Not the slo. Still good amps though.

OK I did not know that., but the lead ch is baised on the SLO lead ch ( Like the HRA is) which is what I was trying to point out.

Reguardless they are very nice amps, I'm thinking about getting the JCA 50h my self.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Main thing with the slo is the deyoung transformers add a lot to the tone, Which is why you'll never get a slo clone for cheap since those are expensive. (to give you an idea the transformers themselves cost more than a jet city..)
when me and min spec'd one out the trannys were like $700.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Okay, okay. Touché.
I really think I have my mind set on the jet city combo, but in all honesty, do you think I'd be satisfied with it for high gain? I've never heard of the soldano it's designed after.
If you're talking about the JCA5212 its not really a metal amp its not the same as the heads. It might get there with a boost but if you're intention is to play metal i wouldnt go with it. My jca2112rc single channel 20 watt can get there with a boost but yeah..
AFAIK the higher gain channel on the 50 watt 2x12 combo is actually the same as the normal channel on the heads (or the same as the single channel 20 watters) with an extra clean channel. While the heads (and combos based from the heads) and the new 2 channel 20 watters come with an extra overdrive channel instead of clean.

The 1x12 50 watt combo is based off the head so you could go with that...
I'd try and get a head and cab setup if possible tbh.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 16, 2011,
Yeah it can do metal, but it isnt a metal amp, people need to stop recommending them for metal.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, damn.
I guess I'll go back to the drawing board on this one again.
I honestly don't want a vypyr tube, or a 6505/5150. I want an amp I can play with, that really isn't generic sounding, and that right hundred billion guitarists use. That's why Carvin and Jet City attract me so much.
What if I were to rais my budget up to about $800 for a decent combo? I mean, I'll honestly never need a stack. It was a mistake for me to buy my last anyways, ha.
I'd look into going with the best of both worlds and get a head + 2x12. I mean if you're looking at 2x12 combos you may as well..

The jet city heads would do metal just not the 2x12 combo you where talking about earlier. One of the heads and a good 2x12 cab would be a solid setup..

If you go used as well for 800 you'll find a nice enough all tube head with a 2x12 no bother i'd think.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 16, 2011,
V3?

Epic amp by all accounts.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've actually always wanted to get a head and a 212 set up going.
Also, earlier I was told the v3 was a bit out of my price range.
Although, a local band did play a v3 for high gain stuff, and it sounded FANTASTIC.
Used you should be able to get a V3 combo.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by TheDefected
Well, now I', really interested in the JCA 5212, but I can't seem to find any videos on it doing high gain and what not.
The 5212 is not the same as the heads and has nowhere near the amount of gain that the heads have.

The 5012, however, is the same as the 50w head and has all the gain, but it only has 1 12" speaker instead of 2. It's also closed-back, which is perfect for metal playing.

Quote by TheDefected
I want an amp I can play with, that really isn't generic sounding, and that right hundred billion guitarists use.
This is the exact reason I own what I own now, and not a 5150/6505.
So, I actually found a tube amp on craigslist, two hours away.
It's a Carvin MTS3200, could that do high gain?

And how much are Dual Recs going for now? There's a dual rec head for $800 a few hours away.
Quote by TheDefected
that really isn't generic sounding, and that right hundred billion guitarists use.

There's a reason a "hundred billion" guitarists use them.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i owned a JCA2112RC for a month. i really didn't like it.

i owned a JCA50H and it was pure garbage. i tried it through at least four of my cabinets, i swapped in some different tubes, JJ's tung sols and tried to mix an 12AT7 in there and i still didn't like it. i tried to like it, but just couldn't, had it for a month, and got rid of it, thats just my opinion. most people on here are happy with them

as generic as the 5150/6505 is, there is a reason that they are one of the standard amps for metal (especially on a budget).

maybe Ultra/XXX/JSX?

or wait and save up more cash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by TheDefected
Well, damn.
I guess I'll go back to the drawing board on this one again.
I honestly don't want a vypyr tube, or a 6505/5150. I want an amp I can play with, that really isn't generic sounding, and that right hundred billion guitarists use. That's why .

Not sure how you can go wrong with a good solid modeling amp like the tube powered Vypyrs. Can't really call something with 12 different amp sims generic sounding. And when it comes down to it, the tone is what matters, not what other people are using. Buying an amp to be different is fine if you dig the tone, but kind of ridiculous if it's not going to be exactly what you want!

Not to mention, for $400-500, you're not going to get anything 'exotic'. If you were dropping $2000-4000, then sure, you'd have a lot of options for something different.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
the Ultra/XXX/JSX would be awesome i think. I really love the JSX, really smooth sounding leads IMHO. for absolute death metal, it could use a boost, but for the metal i play (see sig for fanboy!) it was plenty of gain. I've seen them go for $600 around guitar center and the like, $700 is prolly more reasonable but keep your eye out.

Carvin V3 used would be good methinks, only tinkered with one for about 20 seconds myself, but seems highly recomended.

Worse comes to worse, you can just buy another booger.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Page 1 of 2