Page 1 of 2
i have 10 pedals on my board and im planning on 6 to 8 more since i love experimenting with crazy sounds i think if i had everything i wanted it would be too many pedals but i also think thats what makes guitar playing fun, for me at least.

so how many pedals do you think is too many?
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
Quote by niejel
Get a Multi. :3

no way
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
For some reason when I glanced at the thread title I instantly thought of bike pedals, so with that erm...... any more than two and your going to get confused and fall over.
Look in my eyes what do you see?
I think the only essential pedal these days is a delay pedal. If you need more then well, good on you but you should buy an amp for its sounds, the rest is more of a gimmick/ unecessary
Quote by NakedInTheRain
there is no such thing as too many pedals.

bingo
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by Bloodavian
I think the only essential pedal these days is a delay pedal. If you need more then well, good on you but you should buy an amp for its sounds, the rest is more of a gimmick/ unecessary

not gonna help you if you want to play some clash. or some paul gilbert. or some slayer. or some g'n'r. or some police. or some.....well, you get the picture.
Pedals usually only add dirt to your sound, so one is too many. You might need some of them if you play Prog, hoewever. Not the number of pedals is the issue, but their quality. Common pedals, like Boss, add a considerable ammount of hum and unwanted dirt to your basic sound. Collecting 5-6 of such pedals (and I don't dare to think you have Danelectro FABs or Behringers!) means your tone suffers from uneven signal, due to the mish-mash of impdances in your pedalboard. If you have quality pedals - anything from HardWire to WayHuge, Vox, Fulltone or Mad Professor - , and also a clever way of placing them along the signal path (it means with a valve pre-amp first), you won't add so much hum and your sound could be interesting.
Just don't buy multis or digital stuff: these are toys. If you want a real pedalboard, with no negative influence on your sound, be prepared to pay from 1500 to 3000 GBP (that's 2500 to 5000 USD)... and get yourself a Pete Cornish!
Quote by rv_phoenix
Pedals usually only add dirt to your sound, so one is too many. You might need some of them if you play Prog, hoewever. Not the number of pedals is the issue, but their quality. Common pedals, like Boss, add a considerable ammount of hum and unwanted dirt to your basic sound. Collecting 5-6 of such pedals (and I don't dare to think you have Danelectro FABs or Behringers!) means your tone suffers from uneven signal, due to the mish-mash of impdances in your pedalboard. If you have quality pedals - anything from HardWire to WayHuge, Vox, Fulltone or Mad Professor - , and also a clever way of placing them along the signal path (it means with a valve pre-amp first), you won't add so much hum and your sound could be interesting.
Just don't buy multis or digital stuff: these are toys. If you want a real pedalboard, with no negative influence on your sound, be prepared to pay from 1500 to 3000 GBP (that's 2500 to 5000 USD)... and get yourself a Pete Cornish!

uh dude, i think you're posting on the wrong forum...this is ultimate guitar, not the gear page.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Oct 15, 2011,
Ignore everyone else on this thread except for me. Have as many pedals as you ****ing want, it's your sound and your board. If you think the sound starts to degrade then get rid of a few but as long as it sounds good to you then everyone else can get on a bike.
As many as you want, so long as you're not using them in a futile attempt to improve a terrible amp.
Quote by Butt Rayge
As many as you want, so long as you're not using them in a futile attempt to improve a terrible amp.

I hate you so.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Mike Einziger has attempted to collect as many pedals as there are sprinkles on a doughnut. His philosophy is excellent.

Mike Einziger and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez are why i got into pedals they are amazing musicians.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
When you stop being able to do the transitions and changes you want to do in your music because it takes too long to turn everything off, it's time to cut back/reorganize/replan.
Quote by triface
I hate you so.

So what?
Quote by Mack56
When you stop being able to do the transitions and changes you want to do in your music because it takes too long to turn everything off, it's time to cut back/reorganize/replan.

A Crybaby and my amp footswitch is enough to confuse me...
Quote by niejel
Get a Multi. :3

Multi's are good...but I still want more pedals!!! (I have three other stompboxes!)
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by Butt Rayge
So what?

I'll stalk you. Then replace your amp with a terrible one, and give you a distortion pedal.
Quote by triface
I'll stalk you. Then replace your amp with a terrible one, and give you a distortion pedal.

I turned away from that life years ago. You can't make me go back.
Quote by Zoot Allures
3 or more pedals is fine, 2 is pushing it ,1 pedal, you're into jazz.

Ever seen Kurt Rosenwinkel's pedalboard?

Or Les Paul's for that matter?

Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Well, I have four. I'm not a big pedal guy at all. I prefer going straight into the amp.

I have a wah, an LPB-1, a delay and a tuner pedal. I might get a reverb pedal cuz the reverb on my amp sucks. And maybe a chorus. But I won't get anything else.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by rockdude375

three whammys? thats just dumb
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Looks like there's two identical digitech whammy pedals in that pic.

Looks like there's copies of others, but they're different colours which I assume means they're the same brand but different effects.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Looks like there's two identical digitech whammy pedals in that pic.

Looks like there's copies of others, but they're different colours which I assume means they're the same brand but different effects.

Sounds to be like it's probably taken at a store.

OR IS IT?
Quote by laid-to-waste
6 wah pedals are enough

Somewhere, Kirk Hammett is reading this and weeping..........>.>
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by NakedInTheRain
is it possible he is being.........a crybaby?

Ba dum tss.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by rockdude375

Dat jazz churrus mmmhmmm.

I put a disto in front of that and proceed to have happy times.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
On your actual pedalboard I'd say 10 or so is the limit for convinience's sake. Otherwise, go mental.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by voltafan485
no way

Then stfu. If you can't get your sound you need, then obviously you would need an additional pedal or two for what you need. Your logic is flawed.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
not gonna help you if you want to play some clash. or some paul gilbert. or some slayer. or some g'n'r. or some police. or some.....well, you get the picture.

For GNR at least, I can easily get that sound with just my guitar straight into my amp. No pedals at all.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
there is no such thing as too many pedals.

Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Quote by NakedInTheRain
is it possible he is being.........a crybaby?

Oh I love you
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 2