Page 1 of 2
Budget? - As cheap as possible while reaching the status of "great." Suggest all kinds of amps but maybe nothing over $500 for now?

Genres? - I want cleans, great cleans. If it was an all clean amp that'd be cool. Has to be accepting of pedals.

New or Used? - Used is great to get that price down.

Home or Gig? - Gigging for sure. I want something loud and durable. I have a tube amp but I'm tired of bringing it on the road and maintaining it.

Closest City? - Oregon USA

Current Gear? - I have a Traynor YCV50 and a Marshall G30R CD. The Traynor is my nice tube amp but it is just a hassle to keep replacing tubes and fixing things that break on it. I personally think the Marshall sounds awesome when I crank it (which I always do because it's so small) but I definitely need something louder. My cab is a 2x12 Legion which I'll replace the speakers in if necessary. Also, humbuckers.

TLDR: Suggest the best solid-state head you know of. (Great cleans, really loud, little/no else). I have a tube amp.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Oct 15, 2011,
Peavey XXL
Roland Jazz Chorus

What's wrong with having two tube amps? What do you mean by "maintaining" the tube amp you have?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
What do you mean by "maintaining" the tube amp you have?

"The Traynor is my nice tube amp but it is just a hassle to keep replacing tubes and fixing things that break on it"
Thanks for the suggestions, I've heard good things about the Jazz Chorus, I'll be keeping my eye out for a deal on one.
Quote by Eppicurt
What's wrong with having two tube amps? What do you mean by "maintaining" the tube amp you have?

They just aren't durable for throwing it in the back of the truck and taking it to the show. They're heavy, as well as more temperamental in my experience and can't take any bumps or falls or anything. Something is always wrong with my amp in particular and it's just extra work to make sure everything is nice and perfect. I know tube amps sound better but a lot of times live I don't really care and would rather forgo the extra maintenance. Plus it's like $70 for a new set of tubes every time.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Sorry, missed that.

Fair enough, if you just want a beater for gigs. Definitely look for an XXL, one of the most under rated SS amps around. Technically they're built for solid metal but cleans are quite nice.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
No brainer. If you want a good clean SS amp you buy a Roland JC120. All the Jazz Choruses are good but the JC120 is the clean SS amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd try one of the new fender mustang amps. I saw a fender showcase earlier this year with Greg Koch and his tone was pretty great using one of those. I'm pretty sure most of them come under $500.
^That'd be great if he said he wanted to utilize a whole bunch of effects on the amp, however he said he wanted to use it with pedals so clearly he wants to be able to use the effects he has and spend the money getting a better amp without bells and whistles.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
^That'd be great if he said he wanted to utilize a whole bunch of effects on the amp, however he said he wanted to use it with pedals so clearly he wants to be able to use the effects he has and spend the money getting a better amp without bells and whistles.

Apparently they take effects pretty awesome. It does have all the bells and whistles, but more importantly they have the best clean and distorted tone I've ever heard out of a SS amp

EDIT: though admittedly, my exposure to SS amps has not been huge.
Last edited by guy_tebache at Oct 15, 2011,
Then you haven't heard a Jazz Chorus or an XXL before.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Then you haven't heard a Jazz Chorus or an XXL before.

Just what I was thinking.
JC > XXL
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For cleans, Chorus kills it for sure. Just throwin' the XXL out there for a bit of choice
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Im going to go out on a limb here and say the Marshall VS-100. It's the same amp Chuck Schuldiner used. They're from the early 90s and I've seen them around.

Roland Jazz Chorus is phenominal, it's also LOUD.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
Im going to go out on a limb here and say the Marshall VS-100. It's the same amp Chuck Schuldiner used. They're from the early 90s and I've seen them around.

Roland Jazz Chorus is phenominal, it's also LOUD.

Loud is good in most cases.
Loud is the only case.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Used PRS Harmonic Generator? They are probably the best SS amps ever made, great cleans and it responds to your playing like a tube amp. Might not beable to find one though, and they can be quite expensive some times ($1000ish).

Peavey Bandit head might work for you and you can get them relitively cheap used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Randall Rh300+
Randall Rg100
oh and +1 to the Roland jc100
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
i think unless it has to be a head, the roland JC-120 is a no-brainer really.

you know an amp has good cleans when everyone raves about it despite it's dreadful onboard distortion - everyone just ignores it and pretends it doesn't have a distortion setting
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i think unless it has to be a head, the roland JC-120 is a no-brainer really.

you know an amp has good cleans when everyone raves about it despite it's dreadful onboard distortion - everyone just ignores it and pretends it doesn't have a distortion setting

Very true. The distortion on them is atrocious but people still say they are a great amp because of the clean channel. I often say the JC120 is a good amp for the same reason myself. Ever heard me say that about any other SS amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Is that legit? I didn't know they ever made a JC head. Interesting....
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i'd also suggest looking towards the vox hybrid amps. a friend has a 30 watt valvetronix, and the cleans are surprisingly amazing. i'd say they were just as good as my deville before i replaced the power tubes.
Quote by Offworld92
^Is that legit? I didn't know they ever made a JC head. Interesting....

sure they did. they made the 60 in headform too i believe.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
And anyway, how hard is it to make a headshell to slide the chassis into? It's just a box.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Very true. The distortion on them is atrocious but people still say they are a great amp because of the clean channel. I often say the JC120 is a good amp for the same reason myself. Ever heard me say that about any other SS amp?

The distortion probably sounds really good.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The distortion probably sounds really good.

I don't even think you could like JC distortion. It truly is dreadful, but that's not why you buy a JC.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Zoot Allures
Turn it all the way up, play a tele into it, i bet it could get a big sound :3

Try it one day, then come back and admit defeat. I'll concede that there are some useful tones in your H&H (well there's one but it can be useful) but the distortion on a JC? Nah man, it's really really bad. Not even you could like it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Try it one day, then come back and admit defeat. I'll concede that there are some useful tones in your H&H (well there's one but it can be useful) but the distortion on a JC? Nah man, it's really really bad. Not even you could like it.

I'll have to try it at some point then.
Why has no one mentioned the Ampeg VH140? Great amp for cleans and ridiculous OD
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
that amp is so 2 years ago.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
zt lunchbox very accurate with pedals, but not so tubey, so pedal would have to sound good on its own.
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Wow you're all really great, thanks a ton for the recommendations.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
The JC120 is pretty much the authority on solid state cleans. Randall makes decent solid state amps for distortion, and you could also look out for a Sunn Beta Lead.
I know people here will KILL me for this but how about the Fender FM212?

I believe there's a head version.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Page 1 of 2