I recently bought an HSS Mexcian Strat which is pretty good I must say. But as usual, the Strat lacks distortion power like a Gibson. I was thinking about a compressor (but I'm not sure what they do). I want to know ways so that I can give my Strat a heavier sound (something like Malmsteen's I am a Viking).

Not a permanent metal sound, but rather something to make it more versatile than it already is.
I think that if you think a HSS strat is not versatile enough, the issue might be your other gear. What else have you got?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
get louder pickups?

Maybe Malmsteen's signature Single coils or just a med-high output humbucker for the bridge.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I think that if you think a HSS strat is not versatile enough, the issue might be your other gear. What else have you got?

I got a 15w Marshall. I'M NOT BUYING ANY EXPENSIVE MALMSTEEN SIGNATURE GEAR, I'M NOT INTERESTED ONLY IN MALMSTEEN.

The Humbucker sounds great, yes, but I'm looking for a kind of more, heavier and smoother sound. When I play some songs, you can "hear the strings" as if it was a normal Strat unlike on a Gibson. That's kind of what I want.

As I said, something like a heavier sound for EAD and a smoother and more fluid sound for GBe
Chill dude...

If you can hear the strings then turn the amp up?

Buy an overdrive pedal for more gain. Try a heavier gauge strings like 9-46 or 10-52
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Tricky one, maybe look at different strings like the skinny top heavy bottom ones. A pedal would probably help for your heavier sound. What is your budget?
Quote by Eppicurt

If you can hear the strings then turn the amp up?

Buy an overdrive pedal for more gain. Try a heavier gauge strings like 9-46 or 10-52

I mean you can hear the strings through the amp, instead of only the sound or distortion you can also hear the strings, it's a bit strange xD.

Which overdrive pedal brand is good?
Umm...what? Do you mean it's twangy? 'Cause that'd be the single coils you're hearing...or is it just sharp? Maybe need to mess with the EQ.

Really what you should get is a new amp, do you have a budget at all? Or can you make one for a new amp? Because really chucking a pedals in front of an MG (which is what i'm assuming you have) doesn't sound very good.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Umm...what? Do you mean it's twangy? 'Cause that'd be the single coils you're hearing...or is it just sharp? Maybe need to mess with the EQ.

Really what you should get is a new amp, do you have a budget at all? Or can you make one for a new amp? Because really chucking a pedals in front of an MG (which is what i'm assuming you have) doesn't sound very good.

I don't have much money now. But I'm a Marshall guy. Which range of Marshall is economic and good? (and watts as well)
With an MG I wouldn't bother at all with pedals until you've upgraded. You'll just get an extremely bad representation of what that pedal could sound like and have spent money that could have gone into a new amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Just because it's Marshall doesn't mean it's going to be good. Do you have a source of income like a job? If so save what you can and buy yourself a nice little valve combo for home. It'll sound much nicer and you'll be able to use pedals to their full potential.

They seriously aren't that expensive for a decent one, especially if you go used. Maybe use Christmas to your advantage?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Marshall Haze is pretty good.
Don't only look at Marshall though.

Jet City 22 (or 20 if you don't need 2 channels), Blackstar HT-5 or HT-20 or an Egnater Tweaker 15 might be other good affordable options for Marshall-ish tones.
^Pretty much that. VHT Classic 18 is good for your Marshall Bluesbreaker tones as well.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^+infinity

You need a new amp. The words 15W Marshall are the problem here.

What are the best amp brands? A list would be of help. Thanks!
JesusCrisp just said a bunch, go nuts.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Real Marshall guys don't use MG's. All you have there that is like a real Marshall is the logo on the grill.

You need a new amp which means you need to answer the questions here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

If I were you, I'd save all the money you were planning to spend on stuff to make what you have sound good and put it into an amp fund.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
at the risk of sounding like a dick i think you just plain need to learn to play. yngwie uses a fairly clean sound with a lot of volume and you can "hear the strings" very clearly as that is the sound of notes not overly distorted mush. sounds to me like you are crying about the lack of distortion that covers up sloppy technique. granted you do need a better amp but that isn't the only problem i see. this is coming from a strat player that uses single coils and manages to get a reasonably heavy sound just fine.
Mod the guitar so that the bridge has a tone control. This takes about fifteen minutes with a soldering iron during string changes, there are diagrams on the Seymour Duncan site. Now you can crank the gain on the bridge pickup without it sounding like an icepick trying to rape your eardrums. Add in a touch of warm analog delay and a stereo reverb so that it sounds like you have a couple big amps playing off of each other.
Quote by monwobobbo
at the risk of sounding like a dick i think you just plain need to learn to play. yngwie uses a fairly clean sound with a lot of volume and you can "hear the strings" very clearly as that is the sound of notes not overly distorted mush. sounds to me like you are crying about the lack of distortion that covers up sloppy technique. granted you do need a better amp but that isn't the only problem i see. this is coming from a strat player that uses single coils and manages to get a reasonably heavy sound just fine.

it's definitively an amp problem, i can get a heavy sound out of another non-strat guitar I have.

I'm not saying I'm the best guitarist here, I'm just saying that it's a non-playing-related problem
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
it's definitively an amp problem, i can get a heavy sound out of another non-strat guitar I have.

I'm not saying I'm the best guitarist here, I'm just saying that it's a non-playing-related problem

not a matter of being the best guitarist at all. even an HSS fender isn't really the ideal metal machine. the humbucker is designed more for rock than metal. from your description it sounds like you are using the distortion more as a crutch but perhaps that is just how i read what you are saying. bottom line is though that your guitar really isn't meant for crushing metal sounds and your amp certainly isn't. wrong tools for the job. a better humbucker will help and a real amp will be better. as you mentioned yngwie though i'll say again that crushing distortion isn't the way to get his sound. turn off the distortion and try to play his lines if you can't make the notes sound clearly then it's technique not an amp problem.
Marshall Class 5 if you want great Marshall tone in a small pack and for a low price.

Edit: but it's not a metal amp, you can put an OD in front of it but still is a small amp. If you are playing home, recording, jamming or gigging small venues you will be okay with it though.
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Oct 17, 2011,