Brought on by watching Xmen and realising the special effects in it are terrible for todays standards.

So what other old films had special effects that were great at the time but look terrible now? And conversely, what old films still hold up pretty well?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Look at Jason and the Argonauts.

Ray Harryhausen is a legend, but it looks abysmal by todays standards
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by jambi_mantra
Brought on by watching Xmen and realising the special effects in it are terrible for todays standards.

So what other old films had special effects that were great at the time but look terrible now? And conversely, what old films still hold up pretty well?

Have you watched the bluray version of them?

The special effects have been messedwith a little bit and looks even worse

In fact it's not even the older Xmen, I watched Origins the other day and anytime there was CGI on the screen it looked like it was cartoonly drawn in.
star wars was awesome for its time and still is up there with the best....
Quote by rworsl
Look at Jason and the Argonauts.

Ray Harryhausen is a legend, but it looks abysmal by todays standards

Does that have the similar style to the original Clash of the Titans? If so I know exactly what you mean.

Quote by SG_dave
Have you watched the bluray version of them?

The special effects have been messedwith a little bit and looks even worse

In fact it's not even the older Xmen, I watched Origins the other day and anytime there was CGI on the screen it looked like it was cartoonly drawn in.

I haven't, does it ruin them? Because I was thinking of upgrading to Blu Ray soon.

Agree with original Star Wars and Jurassic Park.

Oh there are CGI moments of Legolas in LOTR that looked terrible at the time and look worse now
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Does that have the similar style to the original Clash of the Titans? If so I know exactly what you mean.

I haven't, does it ruin them? Because I was thinking of upgrading to Blu Ray soon.

Oh there are CGI moments of Legolas in LOTR that looked terrible at the time and look worse now

Well I've only watched Origins on bluray from the 4 Xmen film. The effects on it were noticeable but doesn't kill it. You just notice the first time he shows you his metal claws and you're like "looks like shit", completely forget about it the rest of the film.

All my other Blurays with CGI seem to be alright.
Quote by jambi_mantra

Yeah it looks similar, both of them were done by Ray, although clash was done almost 20 years later, so probably stands up a little bit better
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by SG_dave
Well I've only watched Origins on bluray from the 4 Xmen film. The effects on it were noticeable but doesn't kill it. You just notice the first time he shows you his metal claws and you're like "looks like shit", completely forget about it the rest of the film.

All my other Blurays with CGI seem to be alright.

Awesome, I'll still probably get them then.

Quote by rworsl
Yeah it looks similar, both of them were done by Ray, although clash was done almost 20 years later, so probably stands up a little bit better

Yea, I've got a feeling I've seen some of Jason, but can't remember too much of it.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
the original planet of the apes and jaws both of them must have been amazing at the time but now there just funny XD both great films though
Quote by dazdel
star wars was awesome for its time and still is up there with the best....

+1 Star Wars is pretty much timeless.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Vitor_vdp
I find Jurassic Park to have great special effects even by today's standards.

this.

tron, i can't tell if it looks cool or cheesy.
All the old stop motion dinosaur and monster movies are incredible imo, obviously it doesnt look realistic at all but i think the way they move is terrifying
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Horror movies in the past had more terryfing blood effects than the ones we see today.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Agreed. The Blurays of the originals don't look dated at all.

Didn't they change things in the Blurays that outraged everyone? I refuse to buy any of the new releases since they replaced the original Anakin with the new one at the end of VI.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Didn't they change things in the Blurays that outraged everyone? I refuse to buy any of the new releases since they replaced the original Anakin with the new one at the end of VI.

All DVD and Bluray version of the originals have Hayden Christensen as the ghost of Anakin at the end instead of Dave Prowse as Vader.

It sucks.
I watched Batman forever which I liked as a kid, but the CGI was quite horrid to look at so many years later.

Some old movies that still have great special effects like Blade Runner, Aliens and Saving private ryan are still better than "modern" CGI which still looks pretty artificial.

Quote by jambi_mantra

If you think that's bad... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

If you think that's bad... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I

THAT was it. I knew I read something they'd changed in the blu rays that had pissed everyone off.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
THAT was it. I knew I read something they'd changed in the blu rays that had pissed everyone off.

Yes... YEEESSSSSSS
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
As amazing as the LOTR trilogy a few bits of CGI look a bit aged. Feels strange saying it, but it was 10 years ago after all.

Then again some of it has yet to be matched.
Yeah some parts of LOTR, like Legolas on the cave troll in Fellowship look a little fake, but the rest of the LOTR has countless special effects that are yet to be matched.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Yeah some parts of LOTR, like Legolas on the cave troll in Fellowship look a little fake, but the rest of the LOTR has countless special effects that are yet to be matched.

The worst one is in Two Towers, when the Hounds of Isengard are attacking and he gets on the horse from the front and looks like his arm dislocates and becomes about 3 times longer.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
could I just clear up that special effects =/= visual effects

Special effects are on set things like explosions and water splashing. They can be done after, but most of the time it's just easier to do it on set.

visual effects are things that are added in post-production.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Early James Bond films have terrible special effects
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by guitarxo
Nearly any scifi movie from the 50s = lulz

Don't dis the 50's bro!

Yeah, I can recall the "Lightning" effects in X-Men being pretty woeful...another amusing poor quality superhero movie thingy is there's a scene in the original Spider-man film, where Spidey is climbing up a brick wall, and the camera is rotating aruond him...it's clearly CGI. It looks like it's from a video game.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.