So ever since I started playing the guitar (a year ago) I've always done down-strums with the thumb and then up-strums with the index finger contrary to my pick strumming friends.

Strumming with just the fingers just seemed more appealing and gave out in my opinion a more mellowly tone to it, rather than that "clanky" feeling.
Am I missing out on something by not using a pick? Or am I just strumming the wrong way with the pick?

Sidenote: Oyeah, about downstrumming with the thumb and upstrums with the index finger, is that even normal? It feels like I'm the only one who does that?
thats how i strum on an accoustic and then when needed finger pick, i prefer this because i think picks sound way to harsh on an accoustic so do that for a more mellow feel, but if your using electric then i'd say pick up a pick i favour the Dunlop Jazz 3
Please can you describe how you do the upstrum with your index?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
Please can you describe how you do the upstrum with your index?

By just strumming across the string with the flesh underneath the nail.
I sometimes use all my fingers to strum up and down in a rapid motion.
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
I've done that too until I got my electric guitar. It's impossible at high speeds.