Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Im looking for a amp that can give me the closest evh type sound possible for underr about $1000.

Thanks
Used 5150 combo.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Used 5150 combo.

man those things cost like $3000
What? No they don't.

Where do you live?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by lt mittens
marshall mg seriously

Yeah that was hilarious.

No really. F*ck off.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
He's thought of the closest tone to EVH for under 1000 dollars. The 6505 is a reissue of 5150, with some newly added features. Not my favorite, but close EVH's sound.
Quote by stykerwolf
he's thinking about the new one, the EVHIII.
Peavey 5150, you should be able to score one for under 600usd

I just looked for one on ebay and no one sells them any more.
I just reminded my self that once a friend of mine told me that a vox valvetronix is good for evh.
what do you guys think of this? and wich one cuz they have a whole series and BTW im from england i just say dollars so that it would be easier
Quote by stykerwolf
evh tone in england.
How loud can you play your amp?

quite loud haha,
i have an lintier wood to my self in my back yard so i usually take my gear there and crank evrything up lol
Last edited by GV8 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Also TS say your budget in £s it does not make life easier to say it in dollars. The pricing around here is so different that you'll get some mad suggestions from americans if you give us dollars because the market is totally different there and there is a lot of members that are from the uk that can help you out anyway.
Quote by Eppicurt
Used 5150 combo.

But seriously NO
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420

But seriously NO

The 5150 is Eddie's design...how much closer do you wanna get?

TS that's what I always originally meant, when Eddie left Peavey he took the 5150 with him and Peavey just rebranded it 6505. Should be good with that
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
The 5150 does do a good later van halen tone. It doesnt do the earlier stuff but then again you need a plexi and variac for that... haha
Marshall's MA 50 could take you close to EVH sound, too, for some 500 quid when new.
MA is a pile of poo-poo that should never have been made.

Newer Van Halen stuff is better anyway lolz.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
That mg15 used in the video posted earlier in the thread could probably get a better evh sound then those shit stain mas.

And gotta say some of the van hagar stuff does have damn good tone.
Quote by rv_phoenix
The brand-new Peavey 6505 combo, at about 800 dollars.

This.

The distortion's wicked. The cleans could be better, if you want to use the clean channel just turn the pre on the amp down, and turn the volume on your guitar down. Then it will sound great.
My gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX
Homemade B.C Rich Mockingbird Copy
Peavey 6505+112
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Ibanez Digital Delay
Cry Baby Wah Wah Pedal
Quote by stykerwolf
boosted marshall class 5 gets my vote. Or the blackheart hothead.

The hot head would definitely do it with a boost. Are you looking at £1000? Or the equivelant of $1000, so about £700 ish?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Shameless plug.

I have a Laney that does a brutal pissed off marshall for sale....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
get a good clean amp that takes pedals well (eg. fender blues junior/hot rod deluxe etc) and get a Wampler Pinncale distortion pedal. EVH tone in a pedal.

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/distortions/pinnacle.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zba5dByUvWU
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Idk what the prices are like in the UK. But many of the carvin amps nails that classic EVH. I would look at the M3200 (or something liek that), x100b, legacy, and maybe even v3 if its in your price range. Their all slightly differently voiced but each one can do EVH pretty well.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Jet City JCA22H, tubescreamer infront, get a nice delay and reverb and you're sorted. Obviously gonna need a cab too.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

You want the EVH sound? Kinda hard to bet against the amps he was using for 10+ years, right? 5150/6505!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Eppicurt

Now come on. Everyone stop shamelessly jumping on the mg hate bandwagon.

That was a solid EVH impersonation. It was SS sounding, but the guy made the amp sound bearable at the very least.

IMO the best tone ever recorded was on the unlawful carnal knowledge album. Crystal clear and not grainy like in the roth douchebag era. He used a SLO. I would suggest trying a jca50h, it will at least sound in the same ballpark.
Nobodys hating on the playing.
The tone was shit
The playing almost made the shit tone bearable but it doesnt change the fact the tone sucked.
Quote by patriotplayer90
That was a solid EVH impersonation. It was SS sounding, but the guy made the amp sound bearable at the very least.

Agreed. It was bearable. Barely. The playing was excellent, the tone was severely lacking. You think that we say that MGs are bad for shits and giggles? They truly do suck. I had an MG15 for three years. I can personally attend to its suckability.
Page 1 of 2