I'm having a problem with Audacity.

For some reason, every time I record, it picks up the sound in pieces.
So I'll hear for a second, and then I won't, and then again.
This happens whether I record with the band, or by myself with an acoustic in my bedroom.

Another thing, when I manage to record in real time with my band, it always sound really noisy.
Are there any general rules about microphone placement and such?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
The problem is that you're using Audacity.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Are you using an interface or just plugging straight into your PC?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Burgery
The problem is that you're using Audacity.

Freeware..
Is there any better freeware recording software?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Freeware..
Is there any better freeware recording software?

REAPER

EDIT: You can buy it if you want to, but the demo lasts forever and has no restrictions.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
Are you using an interface or just plugging straight into your PC?

Unfortunately, I just have a mic plugged right into the PC for the moment.
The weird thing is, we have one song, recorded like that, which seems recorded almost perfectly, and no matter how much we have tried to emulate it, the other all sound crap..
Quote by Burgery

That's not freeware?
It's free for 60 days (I think)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Krieger91
That's not freeware?

See my edit.
Quote by Killerfridge
It's free for 60 days (I think)

Free forever actually.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by Burgery
See my edit.

Free forever actually.

Ohhh, okay, cool.

Any more advice anyone can give about home recording sans interface?
Using your mic input will never give good quality results. If you want to improve the quality, you're going to have to spend some money either on an interface to get better results with your PC or a multitracker so you don't need your PC.

Upgrading to a better quality software package may help, but you'll still be limited by the way you're connecting.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Using your mic input will never give good quality results. If you want to improve the quality, you're going to have to spend some money either on an interface to get better results with your PC or a multitracker so you don't need your PC.

Upgrading to a better quality software package may help, but you'll still be limited by the way you're connecting.

Ok, so considering I'm using either Audacity or Reaper, the music has voice, two guitars, drums and a bass, and we're basically recordign in a basement, what should I look for in an interface, and what interface would you advise me to get?
Quote by Krieger91
Ok, so considering I'm using either Audacity or Reaper, the music has voice, two guitars, drums and a bass, and we're basically recordign in a basement, what should I look for in an interface, and what interface would you advise me to get?

That basically depends on if you want to record everything at once on separate tracks or not. If you do the simplest of setups with a stereo micing of the drums and then one track per other instrument, you've got 6, which means an interface with at least 6 micpreamps if you want to record everything at once. You could also mic everything and let that go through a mixingconsol and then in stereo out to an interface with only 2 channels, but then you have pretty much no control over the mix. You could also record every instrument at a time.
Bubonic Studio
Turning death & mayhem into audio