Poll: Should I take a year off?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I take a year off?
Yeah
15 41%
Nah
22 59%
Voters: 37.
I just had my end of year performances at uni tonight, and the guitarist I was playing with completely blew me away. This is not a irregular occurrence, I'm pretty much the worst guitarist in the degree I'm doing. So, I'm considering taking the next year off, now when I say taking the year off, I don't mean in the sense of taking a break, but I'm just really going to try and lay the practice on thick, and work to get some money, and ergo some new/better gear.

Now it's not an option for me to just practice, my parents have specified that if I'm not studying full time, I should be working (earning money) which I think is fair enough.

On the upside, hopefully when I get back to uni, I'd have really made some decent progress. This next year has the potential to be really hard, because it's getting close to the end of my degree, and I'd have some better gear, I've got a fairly nice jazzbox, but my solid body could use an upgrade, and some pedals, I have none.

On the downside, I'd end up being a bit older than my peers.

What would you guys do in my position? Worth it?
If you haven't taken a gap year previously, you may find people your own age.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
If you feel it is in your best interests, do it.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
how are those deegres?
i'm curious, cause i want to study music as well, would like to hear about someone who's in one about the classes, what they study, etc
Quote by MyS3lF
how are those deegres?
i'm curious, cause i want to study music as well, would like to hear about someone who's in one about the classes, what they study, etc

I have a theory class, which also includes aural skills.

Music history (four history subjects are offered; Popular Culture and Music going from the music hall times and operetta to Bob Dylan, Rock Revolution going from the Beatles to current times, Spirituals to Swing starting in the development of the work and spiritual songs to ragtime and eventually to guys like Bix Biederbecke and Louis Armstrong and Bebop to Contemporary starting and the development of bebop some Parker, Gillespie, Monk and Kenny Klarke and going through the free jazz and fusion periods).

Audio classes where you can go over either recording or live sound and audio.

Private instrumental lessons and two ensembles; one jazz ensemble (though stylistically that labels very lose, it's more about improvisation than material of a jazz styling) and are a large ensemble (which is more structured musically with less (but still some) freedom for improvisation) which are split up stylistically, blues band, soul band, fusion band, guitar ensembe, latin band, jump 'n' jive band.
If your degree is music than that sounds liek a good idea.
If you just want to take a year off doing a non-music subject just because you want to become a better player you must be out of your mind!

If playing guitar is a hobby, don't take a year off. If your doing a music related subject then I would seriously consider it. But remember, you probably won't became a guitar god in 12 months
Quote by nathan:-)
If your degree is music than that sounds liek a good idea.
If you just want to take a year off doing a non-music subject just because you want to become a better player you must be out of your mind!

If playing guitar is a hobby, don't take a year off. If your doing a music related subject then I would seriously consider it. But remember, you probably won't became a guitar god in 12 months

I'm not trying to become a guitar god, just improve. If I take a break, I won't be doing a non-music related subject, I'll just be practising as much as possible and working (hopefully teaching guitar but that's no locked in yet)
I wouldnt. I speak from experience when I say you'll never practice as much as when you study guitar. Make sure you put in the hours and you'll get more out of it than if you put it off for a year.
If I was in your position I'd probably see if a fellow student would be willing to help me improve my skills. That way you not only improve your skills but you also network & make some friends (not implying that you don't have any). I wouldn't take a year off because you could lose interest in school if you don't improve as much as you thought you would.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
doesn't sound too bad, hopefully the theory isn't as boring as in normal history classes x )
Quote by jesse music
On the downside, I'd end up being a bit older than my peers.

Just make sure you don't f*ck them and then post it on UG.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
It should be motivation to practice more efficiently if your studying music, at least it is for me.

The key is to practice efficiently, sitting down and blazing along with your favorite band on itunes isn't practicing at all (although since you are doing a music course, i don't think this is you), I try to split my practice up into a one/two hour session in the morning and a one/two hour session in the evening.

Anyway i would say first and foremost is to get a teacher or if you already have one have a talk to him about it, he'll have better insight than me or anyone else on this forum.
If you think you need a year out to improve, do it, although being around better guitarists than yourself would probably give you more incentive to improve.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I don't understand why you wouldn't just finish your degree? You'll practice more by being around similarly motivated individuals and taking relevant classes. Even though it may be humiliating to be 'the worst guitarist in the course'.

You'll have your whole life to practice guitar once you graduate man i don't really see the point in taking a year off.
If your tutors are concerned that you're lagging behind, and your studies are suffering from it... then maybe it could help if you properly go about practising, ie. getting a great tutor.

If it's just an ego thing and you just felt disheartened that others are better than you... I wouldn't worry about it. You know... if it doesn't actually matter, it doesn't matter. You will probably improve quicker at college anyway.