Page 1 of 2
If you ALWAYS play with your guitar unplugged, does it develop genuinely bad playing habits for the future?
Yeah, after a while you can't plug it back in since the electronics haven't been used for so long. That's why old guitars aren't as valuable as they was when they were first released, you'd have to change all the electronics which costs more than the guitar is worth.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
At least your mistakes aren't masked by a shitload of distortion or other effects.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Kensai
Yeah, after a while you can't plug it back in since the electronics haven't been used for so long. That's why old guitars aren't as valuable as they was when they were first released, you'd have to change all the electronics which costs more than the guitar is worth.

This. It cost a lot of money to refurbish old guitars. I had a 66' Les Paul but had to throw it away because it hadn't been played in like 10 years.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
i think there can be a problem if you always practice unplugged then play out somewhere you will sound a lot different through an amp. If you plan on playing out i would put some time in plugged in.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I reckon you'll also be a bit sloppier when you plug it in if you always play unplugged.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I use to play unplugged late at night before I got a decent set of headphones, you end up picking way too hard in an attempt to sound later and when you plug in you really how sloppy you've become.
I assume it would be hard to tell if you are actually playing cleanly and accurately, so you probably arent developing great habits there. Its better to be able to hear yourself properly so you know where you are going wrong...
"If people only did everything they wanted, everyone would just spend all day sitting on the carpet, watching the poker channel, wanking and eating those expensive German biscuits. Probably."
I was just going to troll when I came in here, but the genuine answer that have been given are just terrible.

No, playing unplugged is not detrimental to your technique.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I was just going to troll when I came in here, but the genuine answer that have been given are just terrible.

No, playing unplugged is not detrimental to your technique.

It can be.

You might be trying too hard to achieve some electric guitar technique unplugged.
Last edited by Zeletros at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by Neo Evil11
At least your mistakes aren't masked by a shitload of distortion or other effects.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you pick too hard (which I think I do) cant you just get used to picking lighter really quickly? If anything you'd find it easier to play
Quote by Lugnaz987
This. It cost a lot of money to refurbish old guitars. I had a 66' Les Paul but had to throw it away because it hadn't been played in like 10 years.

Oh man, at least it wasn't a 59'... Supposedly there are thousands that have gone under the radar, and they're gonna need to be put to sleep. Shame, really, such a piece of history.
plug it in,play real loud and see where you make mistakes unable to see when you are unplugged. . I think thats the best way for anyone that plays anything. Not just guitar lol
Possibly. as stated before, you could develop some bad picking methods. Also, you might be making mistakes you can't hear because a lack of distortion.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by son_of_bodom
Possibly. as stated before, you could develop some bad picking methods. Also, you might be making mistakes you can't hear because a lack of distortion.

What distortion points out mistakes?!?!?! Wouldnt it hide them?
Quote by Jannickz
What distortion points out mistakes?!?!?! Wouldnt it hide them?

It can go either way. Distortion while highlight things such as extra string noise from bad muting, but lots of gain can also hide things like sloppy sweeping.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by HammerBro
I assume it would be hard to tell if you are actually playing cleanly and accurately, so you probably arent developing great habits there. Its better to be able to hear yourself properly so you know where you are going wrong...

This
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
We're talking electric guitar? People keep saying you'll pick too hard. Not sure what that means, seeing as everything is compressed by distortion. Someone explain that one to me.

I don't think so. Distortion will cover up your mistakes more than highlight them. Though it's not as good as playing clean, and provided you can hear yourself, I think playing unplugged could help you with your accuracy.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Quote by bry0n
We're talking electric guitar? People keep saying you'll pick too hard. Not sure what that means, seeing as everything is compressed by distortion. Someone explain that one to me.

He'll be picking harder to produce a louder sound so he can hear himself better. Picking harder means putting more force into your hand and that's bad technique. Gotta be relaxed, breh.
Check out my band Disturbed
It depends on the technique you're practicing. If you're doing sweeps, then you should probably plug in to hear if you are actually hitting the notes correctly or not.
Only con i see is that: youll have a harder time muting strings while on high gain if you learn stuff while unpluged.
Absolutley not.
Actually, in my opinion, it's quite the opposite: disortion covers mistakes, unplugged you can hear them better and thus correct them.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Distortion helps perfect your muting (palm and extra noise)
Unplugged helps you nail the accuracy you need with finger and pick synchronization which means it should help with your sweeping as well; distortion covers up the synchronization problems you have. Also if you practice your pinch harmonics unplugged you will be surprised when you plug in and realize you have mastered them like hell. Because they are only slightly audible unplugged so if you can nail them unplugged you can rape them with distortion.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
the input jack on your guitar will become too tight so it'll be almost impossible to plug it back in. Your guitar will also produce some screaming noises if you do.
Plug in and play with no effects. That´s the best way to practice.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by ComradSputnik
Your guitar will also produce some screaming noises if you do.

That is only a good thing.
Quote by Kensai

I did not know this, mainly because of my first electric guitar which wasn't played for about 10 years and still worked.
Quote by Lugnaz987

I hope you didn't literally throw it away.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
I've never understood why people always say distortion hides mistakes, it always makes my mistakes more noticeable

If you play unplugged you might have a hard time with distortion at first because muting doesn't matter much on an unplugged electric, but it's needed for distortion.
Why is everyone asuming plugged = distorted?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Hmm, they say ''functioning iron never oxidize'', so yeah, but that's not the question I guess. Always play plugged, cause headphones and playing unplugged makes you lose your tone, and you become vulnerable against noise. So eah play plugged.
Quote by Silveroon009
Why is everyone asuming plugged = distorted?

This is what I've been wondering the whole time!
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Quote by Neo Evil11

Distortion can actually bring up some lack of technique. For example if I practise sweep picking or some soloing stuff unplugged, and then do the same plugged, you might notice a lot of noise from open strings ringing, which weren't audible unplugged.
Quote by Kensai

That's not true...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
It helps to rest your chin on the guitar while you're playing unplugged. It makes everything louder and clearer for you.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Page 1 of 2