So, a couple weeks ago I noticed this beautiful guitar at a local guitar shop. I played it and it played really well, then I plugged it in and like the sound quite a bit. I had been thinking of getting a low range hardtail Ibanez, but this seemed like it would be worth the extra money.

It's an ESP LTD H-401FM. I noticed after I got home that this was a discontinued model, but it was advertised as new (refurbished?) at the store for $500. The specs on it were:

Mahogany body with flamed maple top
Seymour Duncan Custom-5, and Jazz pickups
Maple set neck, Grover tuners
TOM bridge, string through body
5-way switch, volume/tone knobs.

Seemed pretty good for $500, and I couldn't find it used anywhere on the internet. If was really interested in this guitar should I just buy it at the shop for $500?
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Came in expecting ESP content
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
[quote="'[Azrael"]']Came in expecting ESP content
this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
If you like it, go for it! I think the headstock is an abomination, but that's neither here nor there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Okay sorry its LTD. well i basically want to know how this would compare (for the price dif) to a low end ibanez rg(2ex?) (for tone/build quality/playability)

Like I could get an Ibanez RG2EX for $200. Thers a $300 difference, from a scale of 1 to 10, counting every aspect of the guitar, (besides cosmetics) what would say the rate of the difference in quality is?
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Oct 15, 2011,
It can still be new if it's discontinued. It doesn't necessarily mean they refurbished it. They would probably list it as a factory second or something if that was the case.

Maybe they shop ordered it before it was discontinued and just haven't sold it yet.
New old stock is the term for something like this.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Can't you get an MH-1000 for about the same price?

EDIT:
Quote by oneblackened
They're $800 last time I checked.

Go for it man! That there is a nice guitar.

I meant used. Whoops. I herped.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Can't you get an MH-1000 for about the same price?

They're $800 last time I checked.

Go for it man! That there is a nice guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
save 4 a cheap PRS

Go buy it. LTD Makes solid guitars, and thats one of ones with Duncans, too .

Also, really wanted ESP content. I'm tired of ESP and LTD being listed as ESP...
Where's Waldo?
I've been impressed with the ESP LTD line. Being left handed, I haven't played many but those I have tried were pretty nice. Good build quality and it felt good, which to me covers the two important bases. They make some good mid priced instruments, but a lot of people kind of look them over.

I'm even looking at something like a Horizon or a KH-2 because I liked the LTDs. I figure a real ESP would be awesome.
Quote by Fenderexpx50
Basically LTD is to ESP what Squier is to Fender and what Epiphone is to Gibson.

Not really. Squier and Epiphone are brands while LTD is a series/line. The different between "real" ESP and LTD is closer to between Schecter Diamond series and the "real" Schecter.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

no floyd rose...boring!
nah if you like it just buy it!
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by hminh87
Not really. Squier and Epiphone are brands while LTD is a series/line. The different between "real" ESP and LTD is closer to between Schecter Diamond series and the "real" Schecter.

LTD is much more of a brand than a series. It really is like Epiphone or Squire, except that LTD's range extends higher than either. Within LTD you have Standard and Deluxe - those are lines. And by "real" Schecters, I really hope you mean the MIJ ones

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i dont need a trem. really. and it looks like you all think this is definately worth the $... ill give it more thought and if i get it, ill have a sexy NGD up. :P

PS : does anyone think I could get this for cheaper used? Or is $500 basically impossible to beat due to it being discontinued?
You can absolutely get it cheaper. Just camp out ebay. There are a LOT of really cool, discontinued LTD models, You'll probably even find one you like better. typically, 300's go for $300-350, and 400's go for $350-450. It all depends on the specific model, how sought after it is, etc etc. Basically anything with Korea on the back is going to be a massive bang for buck though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by hminh87

A better analogy would be PRS SE line. Same idea and almost the exact same execution. But enough of that, it's a topic that has been beaten to a fine dust.

The upper end of the LTD line are great for their price bracket. They sound good and play good and they're a good base to upgrade. The lower end of the LTD line is pretty much no better or worse than the vast majority of what is offered by other manufacturers but I'd suggest sticking with the 350's and up. $500 is a pretty standard price for the 400 and later 401's. So if you like it then it's a good buy but if it doesn't jump out at you then you're not really passing up an amazing deal or anything, so just hold out for something that does.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by Fenderexpx50
Basically LTD is to ESP what Squier is to Fender and what Epiphone is to Gibson.

I was thinking more like PRS SE to PRS.
Lo! For ESP LTD models be'ith of high workmanship, elegant beauty and tone most tasty.
This knight doth feel ESPs hath necks most slender, moreso than Jackson, Ibanez or even ye Gibson!
However ye necks girth be'ith a matter of personal preference and not inherent quality.
If ye neck suits thee then acquire'th this most formidable axe and let us hear thee make'th it scream!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Okay. Well. cool. And about finding it cheaper on eBay, I think I'll wait for that.