Hey Pit. I just bought a NES from the local Goodwill. The tag said $5, it came with a decent amount of games, two controllers, the power cord (the original one) and the RF adapter. It said it was working. So, I bought it.

For those of you too young to know, this is a NES.

Anyhow... When I got it home, I was very excited. I plugged it in, put in Zelda (one of the included games) and hit the power button.

Then...

Nothing. The power light flashes on and off. I was so mad.

Does anyone know hot to fix this? Or if there's something I can do? I tried it with all the other games that were included, and still no response!

Thanks, Pit.

-Skittles

EDIT: I fixed it. Followed this! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aOYHhn478

Dysania:
The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Want that on a shirt? Check out my DistrictLines online store, Asixex

For that exact shirt, click here

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Last edited by SkittlesR at Oct 15, 2011,
Just blow into it or something.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
my nes at my cottage still tanks a long, those games are so ****ing fun

same with my snes

they are awesome.

google it champ.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by lushacrous
Just blow into it or something.

As a 90's kid, that was the first thing I tried. I've blown the whole system and every game.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Quote by SkittlesR
As a 90's kid, that was the first thing I tried. I've blown the whole system and every game.

Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
You should call Nintendo support. I called the number on the back of my 64 when it kept freezing, two months ago.
Quote by SkittlesR

There's few situations in life when you can say that with a straight face
Make sure your Video RCA Cables are plugged into the NES good?

IIRC (I haven't used my NES in a while), My NES blinks when I don't have the video cable plugged in.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by SkittlesR

I love how you can fix old electronics with janky-ass procedures.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
^I mis the days when a videogame console could be fixed that way. They are much sturdier than current consoles.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Blow into it, tap the game inside a bit, or even just put the game in without pushing it in.

Always worked for my NES.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Clean all of the games & replace the 72 pin connector.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by Way Cool JR.
That trick in that vid I had to do sometimes when the NES first came out in the 80's.

... blahblah stuff.

Didn't wanna quote the whole thing. I'll definitely tune it up this weekend if I get the time. Thanks, man.

Also, where could I get a replacement 72-pin connector??? It seems like that's something only a retro store would have.

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

Option 1: Blow really hard into the cartridge and the console where you insert the cartridge.

Option 2: When you insert the cartridge try inserting it at different depths. As in, first try putting it in as far as it will go, then try putting it in so it just barely clears the lip of the machine when you close it.

At least that's what we used to do back in the stone age.
Old shit like that has dust all in it dude.

Blow in anything that is a port for a connector/plug. Including the game.

It would be ideal to use canned air because it's not as moist as your breath. But I never ruined any of my games doing it the cheap way.
Problems with Nes:

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
I'm so happy I have 2 working NES systems AND a fully working SNES. With like 50 games.

Now I just need a tv to plug in to..
the old NES and SNES are basically indestructible. You just have to clean them. As stated early swab each cartridge with alcohol and a q-tip. Clean the system and maybe open it up and blast it with some canned air. the worst case you will need to replace the 72-pin on the inside which costs a few bucks but is very cheap and easy to get an NES working like new.
Would also suggest scrubbing the controller with alcohol and a toothbrush, it gets the action back to very good performance just don't use too much alcohol on the brush. Great score, some of the old games are worth a few bucks.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
If cleaning it with a qtip doesnt work then you'll probably need to replace the pin connectors (the part the cartridge plugs into) you can order them online but i think they're more than $5
Quote by SkittlesR
Didn't wanna quote the whole thing. I'll definitely tune it up this weekend if I get the time. Thanks, man.

Also, where could I get a replacement 72-pin connector??? It seems like that's something only a retro store would have.

You can get a replacement 72-pin connector from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4110.m570.l1311&_nkw=nes+72+pin+connector&_sacat=1249
Order & Justice
This seems like the right place to ask.
One of the controlers of my NES isn't working properly, it kinda stops responding sometimes, is there something I can do? Should I just get a replacement altogether?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Ostinattos
One of the controlers of my NES isn't working properly, it kinda stops responding sometimes, is there something I can do? Should I just get a replacement altogether?

Does it work when the chord is at a certain angle but not at others? If so it could be a wiring issue. Just get a new one because they're not that expensive.
Order & Justice
Quote by Ostinattos

Blow it.
Quote by UntilISleep
Blow it.

You, sir... Have earned my respect. =D ... And a tee shirt*!

*Tee shirt may or may not be physical and may not be able to be worn at any time. If, in fact, you do receive a tee shirt it will be of my choosing and of whichever size I deem fit to fit your fitness. Do not complain if you do receive a tee shirt and it does not fit, because, hey, you just got a free tee shirt!

Dysania:

ESP/LTD H-51
CRATE G-40-C
DIGITECH DF-7

NES was my life when I was a kid. I loved that bloody thing. We still have it and it still works somehow.
The main problem with old consoles is that nowadays, they're like 25 years old (in the NES's case). Depending on how much they've been used over the years, they can be rather finicky.

The games are supposed to be much worse in this regard, though. I've heard a lot of NES games have damaged pins.

The SNES, on the other hand, is completely indestructible unless you do something stupid when you're trying to mod it to play Super Famicom games (you just have to snap off two tabs in the back of the cartridge slot, but you have to be careful not to break something else, as I did), which I learned the hard way.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Oct 17, 2011,
i just picked up a super famicon (japanse SNES with some games) when i was in japan 2 months ago. it still work perfectly. i did the cleaning ritual but it pretty much worked right from the shop. I love the old SNES stuff - they are bulletproof. I have a lot of the old consoles and games. I do a lot of trading and buying and selling constantly upgrading the stock i have while making a buck or two on them.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.