My bass is now in standard tuning, but with a band I'm going to have to tune down a full step because of the singer's vocal range limit.

Now I wonder, before I do something stupid that might mess up the neck or whatever, will something bad/negative happen if I'd tune it down without adjusting the truss rod or something else? Would I have to do something with the bass if I'll tune it down?

How long can I have it tuned down before something happens? I know these could be seen as "beginner"-questions, but I'm not used to tunings other than standard.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Last edited by Low Man's Lyric at Oct 15, 2011,
you'll be fine. just get thicker strings
you might want to invest in a better nut to compensate for thicker strings, but i wouldn't worry about it
Thanks, don't think I'll be needing thicker strings though

It's my only bass, and most of what I play is in standard, so I'd like it to be flexible in tuning between standard and a step down.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Quote by supersac
...but just trying it for a while won't do any damage

You sure? Our band rehearsals can last 2-5 hours, so tuning down at practice and tuning back up afterwards would work?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You could also consider thinking "musically" and not re-tuning, just play up the octave. What sort of style music is it?
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Either get thicker strings, or tune down and then adjust the truss rod. Maybe consider a capo? Any electric guitar capo should work fine with a 4 string.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Pretty much nothing, I have my bass set up for standard tuning with light strings, and I've tuned it to drop B and left it like that for a month and it was just fine.

If you drop a full step, just change your gauge up by one size and you should be fine without having adjust the truss rod.
You should be fine with drop tuning a whole step with a standard string gauge (something like .105-.45 or .100-.40) without worrying. I've had my six string in constant Drop A#-C Standard (2 whole steps down) with a relatively light string gauge (.125-.30) with no adjustments needed.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by rageahol
For some reason I thought you were going to be tuning to E0.

wat

An E0 is almost in the infrasonic range. ._.
Professional lurker since 2009.
I was tuning down a whole step with standard strings and I had no problems whatsoever. I put thicker strings on, and I actually kind of regret it, as the bottom string doesn't actually fit in the bridge saddle or the nut slot on my bass. And it's a lot harder to bend (obviously), which I do a lot.
ya man, i tuned down a step and nothing bad haoppened, i did get thicker strings after a while just because i liked the sounds and the feel but you should be fine.
i sometimes would also adjust the truss rod ever so slightly just because i liked to have it really fine tuned to how i liked it, but thats just me being picky i dont think it should have any bad consequences, might go out of tune a bit easier depending how hard you play.
unless your bass is like really weak lol

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....