Hi all
I use a vox tonelab (which I'm very happy with) and someone told me a few days ago that it doesn't matter what amp I run it through, as long as i'm happy with the cleans it has.
What are your thoughts on this?
Would it be better to run it through a solid state on clean, or a tube amp on clean?
Thanks in advance

EDIT:
I should have mentioned, I'm using the distortion/amp models on the tonelab all the time, so the amp would just be used for amplifying the sound. Not sure if that makes a difference or not though...
Last edited by slashfan226 at Oct 15, 2011,
Well, seeing as how it's an effects unit, you should run it through an amp that you would still use without the Tonelab. Just like you would with other effects units.
well a tube amp is likely to produce a superior tone and show off your guitar better and since the tonelab has a power tube in it it wouldnt be clever to run it through a solid state and therefore take away the advantage that it has over most mfx pedals.

think of it like stereo and mono headphones or surround sound and singular speakers. the stereo/surround sound is going to show of the music in a much fuller way and the way it was mastered to be listened to giving you the sound from every side, whilst the mono/singujlar speaker will just give you what is sent through it in one straight line. the stereo obviously wins.

this wasnt a great example but its the best i could think of. im obviously not saying that tube is stereo and solid state is mono but i am saying the if, like most guitar players, you have the ears for tone, then the tube is a better choice and will show off the sound better.
The Tonelab is a preamp modeller. Therefor, you need something that doesnt color its tone too much. Doesnt matter if its tube or SS. What you need to do is run it into an amps poweramp.
If you want zero coloration of your tone, then you need an FRFR setup like a keyboard amp, a PA (budget options) or a an FRFR poweramp and cab setup (ie Atomic 50:50 and atomic powered cabs/wedges) or good studio monitors. A cheap solution is to run your pedal into a PA.

Since its no Axe Fx, running it into a tube poweramp is bound to warm up the tone.
Most pre amps have a significant impact on tone. Running a modeller into the front of an amp is like running a preamp into another preamp. Not ideal. You can get away with in with a flat and very clean sounding amp like an Evans or a Jazz Chorus, but those cost like a grand and up.

Basically, if you cant afford an FRFR setu-p, running into your amps FX loop return (thereby bypassing the preamp and using the modellers preamp) and switching off the modellers cab modelling (running a cab model into another cab model is also usualyl a bad idea) is best.

That said and done, do experiment. If you like the tone you get going directly into an amp and if it fits what you play, go ahead. cnotact the guys in the DSP thread (see sig) if you have any more questions

@itamar: Wong. Th reason why tube is concieved to be superior to SS is because-
a) Most SS amps these days are cheap and badly made.
b) Tube amps give off a lot of even harmonics from the OT. SS amps have no OT. Plus the nature of SS means more odd harmonics. Odd harmonics sound harsh, while even ones sound pleasant
c) At high volume, SS amps clip squarely. The top and bottmo of the sound wave is sliced off. Whereas tube amps clip in a soft rounded manner. In laymans terms, the tube amp sounds better when distorting, while SS sounds harsh to your ears.
d) Tube and SS are just different. A good SS amp will sound good, just like a poor tube amp will sound poor. And vice versa. An SS will never sound like tube, and tube will never sound like SS. Use whatever sounds better for your needs. Neither is better- just different and better suited for your needs.

Good gear will sound good. Regardless of whether it is SS or tube.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by itamar100
well a tube amp is likely to produce a superior tone and show off your guitar better and since the tonelab has a power tube in it it wouldnt be clever to run it through a solid state and therefore take away the advantage that it has over most mfx pedals.

no. it has a PREamp tube in it and it doesnt have THAT much bearing on the tone itself. if im not mistaken its also being lit up by a LED.

ultimately thats a tough choice.
for this situation i suggest a power amp and using the Vox as your preamp. look for a crate power block its 150w solid state and get a cab. you will have a pretty good rig. if you wanted to you could go for a tube power amp as well and have a better rig.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
^i was trying my best not to just put THAT out there lol.
a 16 dollar buffer
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
It's all about the tone you want. I like my Marshall Valvestate for garage punk type stuff. The wylde overdrive really brings it to life though....but even though I can get some decent tones out of it...I feel somewhat limited when I compare it to my Mesa.

I used to be a tone snob thinking its only about tubes, but not every player is doing Lamb of God Covers. Now I say as long as you are within your clipping range..you can do just fine with Solid State...but a good tube amp will definitely be more expressive though.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
i would get some type of tube amp, whatever suits your tastes, and run the pedal straight into the fx loop return which would bypass the amp's preamp.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
How could the amp not make a difference? The FX unit doesn't detect what's following and compensate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification