Basically I've had the 81/85 in my les paul for years now, but the pots are broken and the guy who did the wiring for me kind of messed a lot of things up. So, I've not been able to find the answer to this question: Can you use the solderless wiring kit on the pre-x series emgs? If so, can anyone point to the direction where one could find a wiring kit for both pickups. I found one earlier but it only comes with short shaft pots. Going to give the company a call and see if that's exchangeable.

Thanks, and sorry if this topic has been covered before, I searched but couldn't find it. =/
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Ummm? I know mine uses the same 3 prongs as the solderless does. Is that what you mean?
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
are there 3 prongs on the back of your pickups dude? if theyre soldered on then u gotta solder shit.

its a better connection anyway...
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Yeah, there's 3 prongs. Well, either way, whether I can use em or not, I need a wiring kit. =/ my 85 isn't even hooked up anymore.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by EspTro
are there 3 prongs on the back of your pickups dude? if theyre soldered on then u gotta solder shit.

its a better connection anyway...

If I may ask, how's it a better connection? It's still metal on metal, adding solder in there seems like it would actually just be more for the signal to go through/
Quote by Rune Playaz
Yeah, there's 3 prongs. Well, either way, whether I can use em or not, I need a wiring kit. =/ my 85 isn't even hooked up anymore.

there is 3 prongs. thats your answer.

what do you mean "not hooked up"?

if its the solderless then you just disconnect it...
It's not originally solderless. i want to convert to solderless. I orignally took the guitar to get wired at a local guitar shop. (I don't own a soldering gun) Anyway, after playing it i realized the neck pickup was cutting out, and that the pot was grinding. Found a pea sized bead of solder on the pot. So the 85 pots are f***'d. I was wanting to convert to solderless connects for these reasons. I dont have to go buy a soldering gun and I don't have to worry about someone else messing up my investment. The pickup is fine, just the other components for the 85 are SCREWED. just want to get a whole new harness and do it right. also an 18v mod.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Solderless in the Eng world only refer to the connections to the pickup. All the pots and other wiring should stay soldered
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Post a picture. Where did you find the solder on the pot? (If it is on the back of the pot this is normal)

You can get soldering irons for 10bucks.

Much cheaper then buying the solder-less kit.
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 17, 2011,
Quote by R45VT
Post a picture. Where did you find the solder on the pot? (If it is on the back of the pot this is normal)

You can get soldering irons for 10bucks.

Much cheaper then buying the solder-less kit.

not to mention (and i cant stress this enough) the reliability of solder vs solderless is unmatched.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
It's not that theres solder on the back of the pot, it's that the pot would grind when it is turned. I'm just going to get a soldering gun and a new wiring harness. For now, I'm not going to opt for the solderless for the fact that everyone seems to find it sketchy for some reason. To me, the solderless connection can't be that unreliable. It uses the same fundamentals as computers and surround sound. But either way, I couldn't find a kit with long shafts.
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Quote by Rune Playaz
It's not originally solderless. i want to convert to solderless. I orignally took the guitar to get wired at a local guitar shop. (I don't own a soldering gun) Anyway, after playing it i realized the neck pickup was cutting out, and that the pot was grinding. Found a pea sized bead of solder on the pot. So the 85 pots are f***'d. I was wanting to convert to solderless connects for these reasons. I dont have to go buy a soldering gun and I don't have to worry about someone else messing up my investment. The pickup is fine, just the other components for the 85 are SCREWED. just want to get a whole new harness and do it right. also an 18v mod.

would you please post me pictures? no offense at all sir, but i cannot understand you very well.
Esptro. Solderless refers to all connections in the context that I'm refering to. Anyway, I'll try to post pics soon for you, 00_hns_00
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
maybe the guy used lead and its got hot one day and melted? lol
any ways make sure you buy good soldering wire doesnt contain lead. it melts fast and is flexible even in if the size of the wire is like a drum stick.
oh and get a soldering pen not the gun. you a soldering tool like pencil size not a fat gun witch is to big to get around inside a guitar. and for wire get rosin core solder its recommended for guitars.
oh oh btw dont apply heat to the cable a lot you will melt it fast and waste it and make a huge mess. apply heat to the area you want to solder not the soldering wire. just a reminder i learned the hard way haha.
good luck with your project.
Last edited by skywalker0G at Oct 20, 2011,
Thanks skywalker. I will be getting a new harness on tuesday more than likely. Pretty excited; my guitar has been busted for a few weeks now and im having withdrawls. =(
My Gear:
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El