Kind of had an idea the other day whilst watching someones guitar cover that one of the hardest part of guitaring is knowing what damn pedal 'types' everyone is using. Like is it overdrive or distortion? Chorus or tremelo? Theres so many that its just impossible to know instnatly without seeing that the person is using a 'slight delay combined with medium overdrive, doubling and a phase pedal on full'

So.. i propose a Q&A type thread where people can request set-ups for songs they're having trouble with and those gifted wtih the knowledge can share them. I think it would be especially helpful for those who are still beginners in the world of pedals but want to prgress (like myself) Dunno of its a crap idea. Your thoughts? Am i right in thinking this is the right sub-forum to post in?
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
its a confusing idea i dont understand why this thread exists still?
mojostompboxes.com
Like for instance i have a wah pedal, an overdrive pedal and one of those slightly higher end multi effects boxes but i find it really difficult to get a similar sound to most of the songs im playing. Surely im not the only one with that problem?
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
i understand were your coming from. maybe its just me but i can usually tell what a player is using from how it sounds.

just look up different pedal types and learn how they sound.
yeah its not that hard to figure out what the sound difference is between a chorus and a phase and stuff like that.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Just me then...ill practice more i guess. I just cant figure out stuff with more that say two different effects (save for delay, flange, and wah cos they're easy)
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
Have you tried the settings threads. You could ask what settings/effects you need to use for a particular song/band and people that have experience with said band/song could give you some suggestions if you are having some trouble nailing a particular song's effects until you can train yourself a little better to recognize the effects.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by ajondunnfarmer
Just me then...ill practice more i guess. I just cant figure out stuff with more that say two different effects (save for delay, flange, and wah cos they're easy)

learn the basic fx first. then experiment with combinations. after a while you'll statrt to pick up on things as you hear them. when multiple fx are combined then often the best you will get on a thread here is an educated guess. i helps if you can find out what the player has in his rig which will give you a better idea of what was used.
Sometimes having the rig wont even help.

Univibe was used to make some epic guitar recordings...
I never found a way to incorporate it into my playing style.

Id suggest a good multi effects pedal to get an understanding of what you like and what you dont like. I get the most out of two pedals that a lot of players dont care for: H&K Warp Factor and Ibanez Ds7.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Sometimes having the rig wont even help.

And sometimes it's the key... a Fuzz Face, for example sounds completely different through a Fender amp as it does through a Marshall.. Hell, it sounds completely different depending on where you put it in the chain...

Perhaps knowing the type of effect, Flange, Phase, Chourus...etc is more emportant than knowing whether it's a Fuzz face or an MXR, or a Rockman with a bad transistor in it.

Just sayin...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Nov 14, 2011,
fuzz faces even sound different from unit to unit (well vintage germanium transistor ones) also on recordings you get into roon acoustics and mics/gear used which can contribute to the overall tone. if you can get the type of effect used down (telling chorus from phaser or tremolo ect..), and if you study/listen to demos of as many pedals as you can, you should be able to either tell what pedals artists are using, or how to get close enough to the same sound