What to choose:
1) Peavey Predator (1994). I have the money to completely modify it. New pickups, tuners, tremolo, etc...
2) Ibanez RG570 (1990).
Uhh.. you sure you don't use more money on the predator than RG? Because I think that the RG would be really good, if you find the neck suitable to your hand.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I heard that Predator used a very good wood (poplar), and with good pickups and electronics it will be verry good.

And how about Peavey Patriot (1985)?
^With better pickups upgraded to the RG than what the RG has stock, it will pretty much be better than the RGs of same price category today.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Oct 15, 2011,
The RG will blow the Peavey away. Japanese Ibanez are very good guitars with amazing tremolos(except for the 470s). Peaveys are made in the USA, but I've always found them to be on par with other budget instruments made in cheaper countries, like China and Korea. Whether poplar is better than basswood is a different discussion, but basswood is tried and true and poplar is hardly used anymore. Poplar is more expensive than basswood, but the cost of the wood has less to do with it's tonal propertied and more to do with it's rarity and cost to cut down and mill.

I'd personally try to find a newer RG though, one with the AANJ, because it's has superior high fret access. Also, I believe somewhere around 1998 Ibanez started to use a bubinga strip in their necks to reinforce them, though I'd suspect the 3 piece maple necks were strong enough.

One thing to take into consideration is that Ibanez necks with the 2 screws under the locking nut tend to crack at the screw holes. This is true with all models and years.

The 570 likely has V pickups, which are decent stock pickups, but you may want to upgrade them. If it comes with Dimarzios, even better.

I'd get the RG because I believe Peavey can't touch Ibanez in terms of quality.
I've had both a Tracer (not a Predator, but in that area.) and a RG560.

The RG560 is superior in every way. Better quality woods for sure, the Peavey sounded dead while the RG has that basswood midrange growl. The Edge trem is great, I tune mine once every few weeks and I play a lot. Frets are still alright after 24 years. Stock pickups were even alright, but I changed the humbucker out for a better low end. Ibanez guitars from the late 80's and early 90's are great instruments when you can find them. Having owned both, I'd say your money will be better spent on that Ibanez.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by WTYD27
Unfortunatly, those Ibanez has damaged neck.

Is it very bad?

Thats not a crack i would leave. Either fix it or find one without a crack.

I actually just fixed one like that but a bit smaller a few days ago. Those nut screws are one of the worst ideas ibanez has ever had.
Are you guys all gone mad? Peavey makes splendid guitars that are at least on par with Ibanez Prestiges regarding quality.
I bet 90% of all people responding in this topic never ever touched a USA made Peavey guitar.
After seeing that crack: DEFINATLY take the peavey.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Are you guys all gone mad? Peavey makes splendid guitars that are at least on par with Ibanez Prestiges regarding quality.
I bet 90% of all people responding in this topic never ever touched a USA made Peavey guitar.
After seeing that crack: DEFINATLY take the peavey.

I have, it was a letdown. There's a reason USA Peaveys are around $200 on eBay and still don't sell.

But yes, that crack is bad.
I've played 5 different EVH Peaveys, and they were all top notch. Not as good as the EBMM Axis, but still fine instruments. Maybe Peaveys are hit or miss.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I've played 5 different EVH Peaveys, and they were all top notch. Not as good as the EBMM Axis, but still fine instruments. Maybe Peaveys are hit or miss.

The EVH Wolfgangs are a different animal though. They definitely reflect the higher price point.
Quote by LP_CL

I am pretty disappointed with my peavey too. The thing is obviously built solid as a rock and with high quality wood, but it sounds dead as well. I'm sure a pickup change would help as it plays great (Peavey T-25).

But their custom shop and signature guitars look amazing.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I am pretty disappointed with my peavey too. The thing is obviously built solid as a rock and with high quality wood, but it sounds dead as well. I'm sure a pickup change would help as it plays great (Peavey T-25).

But their custom shop and signature guitars look amazing.

I take that back, it sounds really good.