So if i have my mesa boogie f-50 (i bought it used yesterday) at clean, and play whit my guitar with passive dimarzios, i get a complete clean sound. If i plug in my other guitar at the same settings with emg81+85, i get overdrive, or distortion.
How do i clear this, and why do it happen?
Also if i use my guitar with passive dimarzios, and turn the volume and gain up i also get overdrive/distortion, how do i clean this up? I like to have my clean channel completely clean, and the distorted channel very distorted.
How do pepole play loud and completely clean?

This is probably some very stupid questions, but i hope you will answer them. Also this is my first tube amp.
turn down the volume on your guitar humbuckers will distort unless you turn them down
Last edited by moosejr at Oct 15, 2011,
might be because of the higher output of the EMG's
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
might be because of the higher output of the EMG's

Yeah, EMGs (and other active pickups) have an active preamp built in. Imagine playing passive pickups with a 20dB gain boost in front of them. Thats an EMG.

to get more headroom, all you really have to do is turn the volume down on the guitar or use a volume pedal.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
roll down guitar's volume knob (a treble bleed cap will help retain treble)

pick more gently

on the amp, i forget the exact layout of the f-series, but if the clean channel has a preamp gain knob, keep that low and compensate by turning the master and/or channel volumes up

try those and see if they work

EDIT: EMGs have massive output, they're not helping matters.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
on the amp, i forget the exact layout of the f-series, but if the clean channel has a preamp gain knob, keep that low and compensate by turning the master and/or channel volumes up

This. I imagine that the OP's other guitar has pretty high output pickups. I experience the same thing sometimes with my Ibanez Jem (you can't get a true clean sound on a clean channel of an amp, especially if the amp is lower wattage), and the problem is only solved (short of volume knobbing it) if the amp lets you control pre-gain. Otherwise, the only things I can think of are little tweaks like lowering your pickups.
ah yeah lowering your pickups a bit would help too, good call.

but try the preamp gain/master volume thing first, as that's the easiest and might accomplish what you want on its own.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want cleans that will not break up, you unfortunately need to go Solid State. It's simply a property of tubes that they start to distort as they're driven harder, even on a clean channel (Some of my favorite overdriven tones come from disregarding the "dirty" channel, and just cranking the clean channel as high as it goes). You need to lower the pre-amp volume("gain") and you wont be able to crank the power-amp section all the way, either("volume").
As for keeping your active pickups from driving the amp unnecessarily, your only real option is to turn the volume down, either on the guitar, or with a pedal.
Quote by Grif22
If you want cleans that will not break up, you unfortunately need to go Solid State. It's simply a property of tubes that they start to distort as they're driven harder, even on a clean channel (Some of my favorite overdriven tones come from disregarding the "dirty" channel, and just cranking the clean channel as high as it goes). You need to lower the pre-amp volume("gain") and you wont be able to crank the power-amp section all the way, either("volume").
As for keeping your active pickups from driving the amp unnecessarily, your only real option is to turn the volume down, either on the guitar, or with a pedal.

Uhhhhh, not really...unless you're talking over 500 SS watts. If you have a 120 watt tube amp biased cold, it wont have much power tube distortion at high volumes...A 120 watt SS amp at the same volume would prolly distort much sooner, and sound like crap depending on the design.
This is the case with a lot of Mesa amps. You basically have to set your master high and then the channel gain AND the volume quite low.

Experiment with the mids and the bass as well as the higher they are the earlier you'll get breakup. Also the more you jack the treble up the more gain that will introduce as well.
Yeah well, as pretty many guys said above, your guitar with the active EMGs will make the drive the amp more...

I have personal experience of this since a friend of mine has an ENGL e530 preamp and he has a J-50BC with a JE-1000 Boost in his guitar. His sound was quite distorted with his settings but when I plugged in my guitar, which is a stock Gibson LP Studio (passive Gibson 490r/498t pickups), the sound was little more than just overdriven, but not really high-gain metal sound.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I had a mesa f50, and I never distorted the clean channel. I have blackout, and those are much hotter then EMG. You just have to play with the settings. make sure the clean channel gain is almost all the way down, and turn up the master. That should clean it up
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Jaredmkl
I had a mesa f50, and I never distorted the clean channel. I have blackout, and those are much hotter then EMG. You just have to play with the settings. make sure the clean channel gain is almost all the way down, and turn up the master. That should clean it up

Hey cool dude. I have a problem that the distortion channel sonds to muddy. I can turn the treble and gain almost all the way up and bass and mids almost all the way down, and it still fells muddy and not tight. Therefore i use a metal mudf pedal instead. Did you face this problem? Shuld i change the tubes?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by Grif22

If you can't get a loud clean sound out of a Fender Twin you are doing it wrong. If you have a tube amp (with a few notable exceptions) 50W or more there should be no problem getting a loud clean sound out of it. If using EMG's you may have to back off the guitar's volume a bit so the preamp isn't being overdriven but you should still be able to get loud and clean. Saying you need a SS amp just displays user error.

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Usernames sucks
Hey cool dude. I have a problem that the distortion channel sonds to muddy. I can turn the treble and gain almost all the way up and bass and mids almost all the way down, and it still fells muddy and not tight. Therefore i use a metal mudf pedal instead. Did you face this problem? Shuld i change the tubes?

Change the tubes and run a tube screamer. Alot less gain. Like I'd say 1 oclock max on the gain (with a tube screamer) and try eqing the amp again.

Also if you can get rid of the EMG's. I used to be an only active pick up guy, and I've used them all 81, 60, 85, 81x, Blackouts. All of them, and they're just to much with most hi gain amps.. Like I understand active's into an Orange or a Marshall cause they aren't really gainy amps, but with amps like Rectifiers, and the F series ect, Passive Pick ups and a Tube screamer is the way to go for Hi-gain and keeping a tight clear sound.
GEAR
Quote by Usernames sucks
So if i have my mesa boogie f-50 (i bought it used yesterday) at clean, and play whit my guitar with passive dimarzios, i get a complete clean sound. If i plug in my other guitar at the same settings with emg81+85, i get overdrive, or distortion.
How do i clear this, and why do it happen?
Also if i use my guitar with passive dimarzios, and turn the volume and gain up i also get overdrive/distortion, how do i clean this up? I like to have my clean channel completely clean, and the distorted channel very distorted.
How do pepole play loud and completely clean?

This is probably some very stupid questions, but i hope you will answer them. Also this is my first tube amp.

You found out the point of a gain knob! That's what it's there for, the clean channel plus gain won't be clean.
Quote by Usernames sucks

why did you turn the mids all the way down?

and the treble all the way up.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
why did you turn the mids all the way down?

and the treble all the way up.

This, missed the whole mids thing.

There is never a good reason for scooped mids on hi gain. I'd never turn them lower then 10:30.

mids help tighten the amp
GEAR
Quote by Jaredmkl
This, missed the whole mids thing.

There is never a good reason for scooped mids on hi gain. I'd never turn them lower then 10:30.

I tried having alot of mids too, it still sounds muddy. It may be because i have a very low volume.

What would a tube screamer do? Is it like a distortion pedal?

Also problem with the emg guitar might as well be the guitar. When i changed battery, i was getting distortion. The signaal is always turning on and off.

But yeah, can the low volume on my amp be the reason the distortion channel sounds muddy?
Quote by Jaredmkl

wat.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
set all your EQ knobs at noon (pointing straight up, not actually adjusting them at 12:00 pm) and play a few riffs. Tweak each knob a little at a time to see how it changes your sound. A lot of mesa amps have VERY sensitive EQ. Meaning that a minor change will have a big impact on your sound, and may even require you to change the other knobs to compensate. But once you find the sweet spot, they sound great.

The tubescreamer is an overdrive pedal. It gives a little boost ahead of the preamp, and is generally used to tighten the amp, and lose a lot of muddyness in some amps. If you get one, keep the gain pretty much at 0, the volume (or level... can't remember how it's labeled) maxed, and tone where you like. Start out with that and play around. You'll want it off when on the clean channel though. It'll add a little grit to your cleans.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
set all your EQ knobs at noon (pointing straight up, not actually adjusting them at 12:00 pm) and play a few riffs. Tweak each knob a little at a time to see how it changes your sound. A lot of mesa amps have VERY sensitive EQ. Meaning that a minor change will have a big impact on your sound, and may even require you to change the other knobs to compensate. But once you find the sweet spot, they sound great.

The tubescreamer is an overdrive pedal. It gives a little boost ahead of the preamp, and is generally used to tighten the amp, and lose a lot of muddyness in some amps. If you get one, keep the gain pretty much at 0, the volume (or level... can't remember how it's labeled) maxed, and tone where you like. Start out with that and play around. You'll want it off when on the clean channel though. It'll add a little grit to your cleans.

But can the muddyness come from that the amp has very low volume?
a) Lower the gain no the clean channel, increase channel volume
b) lower bass, boost mids, boost treble
c) use the dang bright switch

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/F-Series/F-50/F-50.html

Download the manual from here, Mesa manuals have instructions on how to dial in the amp.
Y'all are getting trolled
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Usernames sucks
I tried having alot of mids too, it still sounds muddy. It may be because i have a very low volume.

Also problem with the emg guitar might as well be the guitar. When i changed battery, i was getting distortion. The signaal is always turning on and off.

But yeah, can the low volume on my amp be the reason the distortion channel sounds muddy?

It can be part of the problem, moar volume always helps, but thats not all it. Tubescreamers are an overdrive pedal, you put it in front of the gain channel to get more distortion without cranking the gain, to much amp gain makes mud. Set the tubescreamer to the gain all the ways off, all the pedal volume, and the tone just past 12 oclock
GEAR
How hard can it be to get a clean sound from.a 50 watt amp? I have a 4w and it be as clean as possible with my active pups at a good volume.

Am I the only one thinking TS is a troll?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Usernames sucks
Also if i use my guitar with passive dimarzios, and turn the volume and gain up i also get overdrive/distortion, how do i clean this up?.

There's your problem. I have an f30, I keep the gain down to about 9 o'clock on the clean channel
Quote by icronic
This is the case with a lot of Mesa amps. You basically have to set your master high and then the channel gain AND the volume quite low.

The f series only have a gain and a volume for each channel. There is no channel volume / master volume.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Usernames sucks

Do you have the contour on? But that kind of amp setting sounds pretty bad. EXPERIMENT: mesa's eq'ing is difficult to master.
Quote by Usernames sucks

Tube screamer tightens the sound be cutting bass, bumping up mids.
I also found my f30 came to life with the volume at about 10 o'clock or higher.
A tube change made my amp sound a lot better too.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by JKHC
How hard can it be to get a clean sound from.a 50 watt amp? I have a 4w and it be as clean as possible with my active pups at a good volume.

Am I the only one thinking TS is a troll?

He says he has the preamp volume/gain up. So, either troll, or really unable to work an amp.
Quote by Offworld92
wat.

The more mids you have, the bass frequencies are less audible, thus bringing a tighter sound. Try it on your amp, slowly bring the mids down, you'll hear more bass as you do so and you'll get more mud.
GEAR