Hey guys,

I'm an aspiring producer looking to add live guitar elements in to my production, and I just wanted to get some opinions/advice on what I'm going to purchase.

I'm looking to use a PCI audio interface Delta 1010LT - 10-In/10-Out PCI Virtual Studio) which has 2 built-in mic preamps, with a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster Electric Guitar. I also plan to use software guitar amp plugins such as Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender, and Guitar Rig.

Would you guys consider this a good setup in terms of quality and not having latency issues. Also, am I missing anything in this setup of:
Guitar > PCI Audio Interface (with mic preamps) > PC with software amps > Monitors

I'm a first time guitar buyer and not entirely sure if I have all the pieces to the puzzle.

Thanks in advance.
You need a Hi-Z input (high impedance) on your sound card or a DI box or a pre amp for guitar

Also i advice to try free software with impulse response for example: "lecto" with "God's cab" impulses.

Latency is always an issue, real total latency will be at least about 10ms (if it's stable at 10ms real latency than it's okay) unless you have a high end RME interface
Thanks for your response.

So if I add a Samson S Direct Plus Stereo Direct Box to this chain and purchase a slightly cheaper soundcard (without mic preamps) such as the M-Audiophile 2496 - would that work?

So the chain would be:
Guitar > DI box > PCI Audio interface (without preamps) > PC with software amps > Monitors

Also, for cables would I be using something like this?:
1/4" guitar cable going in to the DI box from the guitar and I'm kind of clueless as to what cable would go from the DI box in to the soundcard.

Also any clarication on whether I no longer need my soundcard to have mic preamps if I'm now using a DI box?

Thanks in advance and if any part of this setup is wrong/bad quality, please let me know how it could be improved.
Last edited by StickmanP at Oct 16, 2011,
what about this soundcard: http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/esi-maya-44-xte-pci-express-audio-interface--89517
It has integrated mic and guitar preamp
so you only need a 1/4 guitar cable and That is all you need.

Also this card can record 4 track simultaneously and also has four outputs ( 2 different set of monitors or a pair of monitor and a pair of hi fi speakers)
Why would you need a new soundcard?

If you've got a spare mixer handy, plug the guitar into one of the line-level inputs, and then hook your Delta 1010's inputs to the mixer's RCA out (or use a TRS-RCA adapter if necessary).

This way, you could have a little modelling amp like a VT15 in the control room for zero-latency monitoring. Just run a jack lead from the mixer to the amp input, problem solved - guitarists can lay down a track in the control room with zero delay.

It'd look kind of like this:

GUITAR
1/4" jack
MIXER1/4" jack CONTROL ROOM AMP
RCA
DELTA 1010
PCI
PC
OP... if i was you, i would steer clear of Guitar Rig. i had used it for years. i think its cool and handy if you have the pedal board, but if you are really concerned with how your guitar sounds in a live scenario, look no further than Mellowhead guitar sims. they aweslomely (if thats a word) simulate everything from crisp cleans to thick metal amps plus cab options all from 1x10 to 4x12. different amp mic/placement options plus you can run each amp with 6L6 tubes or EL34. pretty freakin sweet. you can go to the mellomuse website and check out a free demo. i HIGHLY recommend it.
In order to get a professional guitar sound you need to be moving real air. Multiple mics works wonders too, I like a dynamic (57 or 906) and a ribbon (r121) up close. Maybe a condenser room or another ribbon
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
In order to get a professional guitar sound you need to be moving real air. Multiple mics works wonders too, I like a dynamic (57 or 906) and a ribbon (r121) up close. Maybe a condenser room or another ribbon
Disagree. Revalver, Vandal or Vintage Amp Room will kick the ass of anything less than a really good amp, and the sheer flexibility makes it worthwhile.

I totally agree the the best results come from a well mic'd high quality guitar amp and cab, but for day-to-day tracking where guitar is not the primary focus, I'd go with a good software sim. NOT Guitar Rig though!

Alternatively, if you're serious about tone and have a modest budget, you could get an used Axe-FX. Problem solved.
Thanks for all your responses so far.

Quote by Nemui-Kuma
you can't plug a passive guitar into a line input
it's input impedance is too low so it will decrease audio qulity

With the DI box mentioned in post 3, does that solve that problem? The chain would be:
Guitar > DI box > PCI Audio interface (without preamps) > PC with software amps > Monitors

Quote by westley23j
OP... if i was you, i would steer clear of Guitar Rig. i had used it for years. i think its cool and handy if you have the pedal board, but if you are really concerned with how your guitar sounds in a live scenario, look no further than Mellowhead guitar sims. they aweslomely (if thats a word) simulate everything from crisp cleans to thick metal amps plus cab options all from 1x10 to 4x12. different amp mic/placement options plus you can run each amp with 6L6 tubes or EL34. pretty freakin sweet. you can go to the mellomuse website and check out a free demo. i HIGHLY recommend it.

Thanks, I'll check that one out!
as far as software goes
I would only use guitar rig for the amp heads/distortion and use Lecab2 to simulate cabs using Redwire's cab impulses (since you can use up too 6 impulses with different mic positioning). You will notice a complete change up in sound and quality. (Use the Hi Quality button in guitar rig through ;P)
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Last edited by kcorkcar at Oct 21, 2011,