I just got thicker strings for my Epiphone LP Special II. (Was .009, now .011) All of the sudden I have massive fret buzz. I tried slightly sanding my first and second fret, adjusting the action, even making the cut in the nut a little thicker, but none worked.

I may take it to a guitar technician, but I was looking for some opinions and advice.
where is the fret buzz?

and are you sure its the frets and not the bridge or something going from 9 TO 11s is a bit much so youll probabaly need a set up to go with it
Quote by gateway01
It's on the low E string around the 1st fret and the nut.

it might be the tring not iftting into the slot too well either way go get a set up if you dont know whats wrong
Apologies in advance if i'm misjudging your experience with guitar setup!

You've switched to a higher gauge so it's likely that your action is a little too low to accommodate them. When you change string gauge it's usually recommended to do a quick truss rod, action and intonation adjustment.

If you're not sure what these are all about, you should probably take your guitar to your local shop/guitar tech or even a friend who's dealt with this stuff before.

Action is a pretty easy adjustment to do yourself. I don't have any experience with tune-o-matic/stop tails myself so I won't go into detail. But 2 seconds with the searchbar will give you any answers you need. Or google.

You'll find the truss Rod at the base of the headstock. it sounds like you'll need to loosen it with the appropriate sized allen key. The tiniest of anti-clockwise turns (like under 1/8th of a turn, maybe even less) should give it enough relief.

I'll stress that you should take this to someone competent If you're in anyway unsure.

Hope I helped!
Quote by shmeegle
Apologies in advance if i'm misjudging your experience with guitar setup!

You've switched to a higher gauge so it's likely that your action is a little too low to accommodate them. When you change string gauge it's usually recommended to do a quick truss rod, action and intonation adjustment.

If you're not sure what these are all about, you should probably take your guitar to your local shop/guitar tech or even a friend who's dealt with this stuff before.

Action is a pretty easy adjustment to do yourself. I don't have any experience with tune-o-matic/stop tails myself so I won't go into detail. But 2 seconds with the searchbar will give you any answers you need. Or google.

You'll find the truss Rod at the base of the headstock. it sounds like you'll need to loosen it with the appropriate sized allen key. The tiniest of anti-clockwise turns (like under 1/8th of a turn, maybe even less) should give it enough relief.

I'll stress that you should take this to someone competent If you're in anyway unsure.

Hope I helped!

After I posted, I tried all of that, except taking it to a guitar tech, which is my next step.
Ah. Sorry!

Probably could have spent more time reading your first post!

Your guitar tech will surely sort it out then. Good luck!
your gonna have to raise your bridge some.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate