for christmas ive been told that in total ive been promised £500, and i would like a new amp to try and get a sound close to my main insperations tones (dimebag darrell, zakk wylde) but i have one small problem, i have no clue what to get, i was hoping a peavey as i like the distortion sounds ive heard (machine head, black stone cherry) but i hear the cleans are terrible and i enjoy playing clean so i thought about a marshall but i need more aggression and gain. i would prefer a tube amp if possible and for it to be a stack, even a micro stack or combo (twin prefered due to a single having too much bass for my tastes)
Check out the DIME amps,they are built around Dimebag Darrells tone.I don't know alot about them,but the demo sounds good.Look at the D100 head with cab.
Blackstar HT-5 series. They have the ISF feature so you can get pretty close to both british and american voicings
Peavy's provide some decent cleans, it's just a matter of how you EQ your amp really.

Dimebag was mainly using Randall's but he did jump around from amp to amp.
Zakk used Marshall

You can pull out some great metal tones from both amp's it really depends on your EQ and what effects you have in your loop but if you where after a amp more voiced for metal then Peavy isn't bad at all.

I would also suggest Blackstar (most of them worked for Marshall but then started there own company) and those are generally aimed more towards metal and are pretty sweet sounding. I've been at 2 concerts where Blackstars have been used, Opeth(last week) and Ozzy last year in November and they in no way disappoint.
Check out the Peavey XXX. It sounds like what you're describing, it's kind of a balance between those tones, and it also has good cleans. And they're cheap, so you can afford a half stack in your budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i would suggest a windsor or a valveking from peavey (with the windsor swap out a couple of the preamp tubes to 12au7s so the amp runs clean and use a dirt pedal for your drive)
your kinda asking for two completely different tones/amps. dime bag used solid states with weird pedal assortments to achieve his tone (you can get that using an mxr dime distortion, pretty much nails his tone). zakk uses marshall jcm 800 lives but uses pretty much everything under the sun in the studio. i would suggest looking for a used marshall. jcm or jam series. if the gain isn't quite cutting it for you drop an OCD or tubescreamer in front of it

dime's tone is gonna be pretty tough to nail down but that mxr pedal does a pretty good job
That's what I was thinking. Could you get two more different metal tones if you tried?
Pick one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's what I was thinking. Could you get two more different metal tones if you tried?
Pick one.

i'm bored so i may as well comment again. but they truly are completely different metal tones. dime basically scoops out ALL of his mids and the majority of his tone comes from running 2 distortion pedals at once (i don't know what they are off the top of my head). zakk wylde actually understands the fact that you need mids in your tone to help you cut through. he uses mostly an overdriven jcm 800 and then an over drive (he has a signature mxr pedal but it is more designed to be used as a boost). zakk also uses all active pickups. dime is just really high output, muddy passives (dime bucker by seymour duncan sounds like shit in my opinion.)

if i were you i would shoot more for zakk's tone. its easier and it sounds a thousand times better. its going to be more versatile for you as well. crisp cleans, balls to the wall distortion. his tone is just great
peavey cleans suck?

news to me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
peavey cleans suck?

news to me.

i think by that he is probably referring more so to something along the lines of a 5150 or 6505. absolutely nothing special about the cleans on them
^ bah that's an internet myth.

Quote by Offworld92
Check out the Peavey XXX. It sounds like what you're describing, it's kind of a balance between those tones, and it also has good cleans. And they're cheap, so you can afford a half stack in your budget.

+1

didn't see that post on the first run through.
Quote by andrerist
i'm bored so i may as well comment again. but they truly are completely different metal tones. dime basically scoops out ALL of his mids and the majority of his tone comes from running 2 distortion pedals at once (i don't know what they are off the top of my head). zakk wylde actually understands the fact that you need mids in your tone to help you cut through. he uses mostly an overdriven jcm 800 and then an over drive (he has a signature mxr pedal but it is more designed to be used as a boost). zakk also uses all active pickups. dime is just really high output, muddy passives (dime bucker by seymour duncan sounds like shit in my opinion.)

if i were you i would shoot more for zakk's tone. its easier and it sounds a thousand times better. its going to be more versatile for you as well. crisp cleans, balls to the wall distortion. his tone is just great

The dime HB from Seymour is a crude replica of his actual pickup which was a Bill Lawrence L500XL (don't think they are in production anymore) I wish people didn't compare it to his actual pickups.

As for Dimebag using 2 distortion pedals this is news to me, he did love his pedals but as far as I know he mainly used a MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal, everything else was flanger, reverb, eq ect.

In any case OP it seems you want the ability to have swap between both tones, so I still recommend Blackstar or Peavy. Both have a great range of sound and can pull good metal. But when it comes right down to it, go to a guitar shop and find something that you can fall in love with. Youtube videos can only get you so far, nothing is better then sitting down with an amp and jamming for a bit to see if you like it.
You recommend Peavey or Blackstar? So pick an amp that can do neither?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by andrerist
i think by that he is probably referring more so to something along the lines of a 5150 or 6505. absolutely nothing special about the cleans on them

They aren't exactly advertised as a jazz amp.
Quote by Cathbard
You recommend Peavey or Blackstar? So pick an amp that can do neither?

Yes I recommend those 2 but what every one likes to hear is different, he can say he likes whoever guitarists tone but when it comes down to it he has to decide for himself. And playing a bunch of amps and finding one that you just can't stop coming back to means you will never be disappointed.
He mentioned two completely different tones; a shrill, harsh, SS noise and a JCM800. Until he chooses one or the other it's all just pissing in the wind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He mentioned two completely different tones; a shrill, harsh, SS noise and a JCM800. Until he chooses one or the other it's all just pissing in the wind.

He could get a good amp for ZW's tone and stick a crappy metalzone in front of it for dime's.
Quote by patriotplayer90
He could get a good amp for ZW's tone and stick a crappy metalzone in front of it for dime's.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
one night and i get all this, i think ill go with a second hand jcm800, i already own a wylde overdrive and i know the dime amp settings so ill put them together and see where that goes, also i know its off topic but i can post the dime AMP settings, they wont get you his exact sound but theyll help
Last edited by metalgod47 at Oct 16, 2011,
peavey cleans are fine, just get one if you really like the distortion sounds.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
XXXes are pretty dear here unfortunately.

as said, zakk and dime are pretty different.

something like a traynor ycv50b or laney gh (with od boost) would work for zakk. Use a boost or distortion pedal for dime...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think im going to go with the zakk idea but i cant find any good marshalls in my price range of £400-£600(max) and while its good suggesting heads i also need the cabinet to go with it, i need a cheap marshall but a tube as well so if there is a website with cheap marshalls( not ebay,already checked it ) let me know
far as i'm aware, that traynor is pretty close to a marshall type of tonality.

the laney is (again, as far as i'm aware) a hot-rodded jcm800.

don't worry, i'm not recommending you random kit, at least a little thought goes into my recommendations

Oh that reminds me, those jet cities on ebay (sold by their UK distributor) are good value too- haven't tried them, but they also might be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could look into some second hand Orange amps to see if you could get anything for yer £500.
Quote by RockRolla
Check out the DIME amps,they are built around Dimebag Darrells tone.I don't know alot about them,but the demo sounds good.Look at the D100 head with cab.

If you dont know anything about them, why post?

TS, there are many, many better options for the price that wont make everyone around you want to kill you.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Laney GH50L is a good shout, you can get them pretty cheap too.

Either that a JCM800 or maybe something like a Jet City JCA50
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
to darkwolf: i dont know i play a marshall mg50fx at the moment and when ever i hear pantera i love it but then i listen to the walls of sound of zakk wylde and its a hard choice

ive tryed a laney before and i agree they do sound very "marshall" but my overdrive pedal that i have is the mxr zakk wylde overdrive and it was built for pudhing the signal into a tube amp so thats one of my reasons for wanting a tube/valve amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
far as i'm aware, that traynor is pretty close to a marshall type of tonality.

the laney is (again, as far as i'm aware) a hot-rodded jcm800.

don't worry, i'm not recommending you random kit, at least a little thought goes into my recommendations

Oh that reminds me, those jet cities on ebay (sold by their UK distributor) are good value too- haven't tried them, but they also might be worth a look.

+1 on all this.

especially the part about him putting a little thought into it.

no srsly, he's recommending good stuff here.

though the traynor price seems to have gone up by £100
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well Op if your interested in Traynor my buddy has a Traynor YCV40WR and I'd definitely say that it's a mean little thing, lacks a bit on distortion but really nice cleans and overdrive. He just got a new distortion pedal to go with his 8band EQ last week so I can let you know how it sounds when we jam tomorrow but between his EQ and Pedal he should be able to pull out some impressive tones.

Will see if we can get any Zakk or Dimebag tones out of it for ya.
Quote by RockRolla

lol dimebag had good tone? news to me...

i would go with either a 5150/6505 or xxx the cleans arent that bad on a 6505, just eq it right keep the gain down and throw a light chorus over it!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
if you want dimebag tone stay away from marshall
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Guitar-Amp-/260871397737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd25a169

I'm not trying to beat you over the head with this amp, but I just checked to see if there were any, and there were. Honestly, this amp can give you that shrill high gain on the lead channel, especially with 6L6's in it. If you boost/EQ the crunch channel, you should have no problem getting a Wylde-ish tone. I would honestly recommend it over the other stuff being recommended, for what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X