I was browsing through a flea market today and came across a Sunn Sceptre. I've heard of the brand and know there's a few models that are worth getting, but I don't know anything about this haha. It had two KT88's so I'm guessing it's 50-60W and 4 GE 12AX7's, 2 with covers. It had an extra switch next to the Power and Standby labeled "Polarity"? He only wanted $100 for it but I have no way of testing it there.. thoughts or info on the amp? I'm guessing it's a really clean amp and doesn't have much grit to speak of.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I'd probably pick it up. Even if it doesn't work, $100 for a vintage tube amp? you could get it into working order pretty easily/cheaply I would think.

Here's what a little googling found me.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/sunn-sceptre-200373/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RereaNPpk0

Try messaging that guy on youtube, I'm sure he can provide more insight. It's starting to look like a pretty good deal.
Last edited by whatadrag at Oct 15, 2011,
Well hopefully, providing either tranny isn't shot. Finding a replacement would cost a little bit.. I'm thinking of trying to talk the guy down, he's an old hillbilly in overalls with long white hair and a scraggly white beard to match. Plus I doubt he knows anything about it, he has another old amp that's a tall and narrow combo for $200, there isn't a name on it and it looks to be SS..

I would watch the video but my internet would take FOREVER to load anything on Youtube

EDIT: Holy balls, that's the meanest Strat tone I've ever heard. I'm definitely interested in this thing... I couldn't imagine what a modern humbucker would do.

EDITx2: He's using a boss distortion pedal
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 15, 2011,
Awesome amp at a great price. Do it
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
HAmmond makes transformers for cheap. Polarity might be for the phase, nice setting to have!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Do it. Now.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Flux'D
I was browsing through a flea market today and came across a Sunn Sceptre.

that is a cool one. they were made during the early 70's and late 60's.

Quote by Flux'D
I've heard of the brand and know there's a few models that are worth getting, but I don't know anything about this haha.

bass player from the kingsmen started the company with a relative (conrad), made a 1x15 JBL cab with dynaco hi-fi amp kits. conrad was credited for most of the cabinet designs (which are pretty unique even today). during the late 60's they made THE professional bass rig and were trying to gain as much legitimacy in the guitar amp realm (they even provided the backline for woodstock and had a brief promotion deal with jimi hendrix).

the sunn line was considered professional, top of the line gear. the were synonymous with huge power tubes, enormous transformers and large power output. looking at some of their old catalogs you can see their full-sized rigs could cost more than a new car from that era.

Quote by Flux'D
It had an extra switch next to the Power and Standby labeled "Polarity"?

back in the day the polarity of the electrical network in the US wasn't standardized and some sections of the grid were setup different. sometimes unwanted noise was picked up (like a buzz), switching polarity could correct the buzz. this was important for gigging musicians who played on different power grids across the country.

Quote by Flux'D
He only wanted $100 for it but I have no way of testing it there.. thoughts or info on the amp? I'm guessing it's a really clean amp and doesn't have much grit to speak of.

good deal. yeah, it is a fairly good clean machine. my sunn ('69 1200S) has tons of headroom, loves pedals and has the killer low end response.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae