Page 1 of 2
I never really took the saying "Be grateful for what you have" seriously before. And luckily it didn't take a traumatic or near death experience to realize it. I am grateful that I am in a position where I can always be in a much worse situation. But we don't think about that do we? We always fixate on what we don't have, or what we think will make us happy.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

You don't know fuckall about being grateful for anything until you've backpacked three or four days without salt...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
^This, though there are exceptions.

I'm grateful for what I have and I am aware things could be much worse. I have never had that point hammered home to me in a near death experience, but I am aware of what's going on in the world. I do think about it regularly, actually: I try not to avoid these things as I feel if I keep myself open to them I can understand life easier and know how things really work in the world.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by behind_you
You only know what you have when you lost it.

Actually I haven't lost anything and know that I have everything I need to live.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

its another way of saying 'i'm making sure you know there's worse off people in the world so you can think about it for a fraction of a second and carry on with your day to make me look more observant and generally a better person than you even though i too take advantage of the things i own, as should everybody'.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by darkstar2466
You don't know fuckall about being grateful for anything until you've backpacked three or four days without salt...

My last backpack trip, the first day back to civilization was a friends birthday. I got a steak with sea salt on it.

SO.

GOOD.
Quote by shakin'cakes
Actually I haven't lost anything and know that I have everything I need to live.

I wasn't questioning whether you lost anything.

Think about it like this. You have a favourite _____. You never used the ____ and don't even remember having the _____. One day your mother throws your _____ in the trash and you feel like shit when you realize your _____ is gone. You suddenly really want your _____ back and you feel bad.

You never know what you have until it's gone.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by laid-to-waste
its another way of saying 'i'm making sure you know there's worse off people in the world so you can think about it for a fraction of a second and carry on with your day to make me look more observant and generally a better person than you even though i too take advantage of the things i own, as should everybody'.

Yeah maybe if you have the ego the size of a bus. That's not at all what I was saying.
Quote by buddha

I always tell myself, "at least im not living in Africa." It does wonders for my optimism.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by shakin'cakes
Yeah maybe if you have the ego the size of a bus. That's not at all what I was saying.

or the self esteem the size of a pinkie, i wasn't referring to you bro
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I take a lot of things for granted, and continuously would like to achieve more.

The day we sit back and realise "what we have" and are happy with just that, society just grinds to a halt.

I mean, I do agree that there are spoiled shits in the world that don't appreciate a single thing they have...but it's always nice to have more when you have the potential to gain it.
Quote by kaptkegan
My last backpack trip, the first day back to civilization was a friends birthday. I got a steak with sea salt on it.

SO.

GOOD.

See, you know what I'm talking about. My last 10-day trip was the first time I forgot to take salt. Luckily, the fourth day's hike ended on a beach with civilization next to it (no chance otherwise). I ran to the first house that looked like it had people in it and asked for salt lol. My meal that night, spiced rice and lentils, tasted like a million bucks with salt.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I'm as grateful as I am ungrateful. Sure I have it better than a starving orphan in Africa, but I also have it worse than a lot of people. What's the good of comparing?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I take a lot of things for granted, and continuously would like to achieve more.

The day we sit back and realise "what we have" and are happy with just that, society just grinds to a halt.

I mean, I do agree that there are spoiled shits in the world that don't appreciate a single thing they have...but it's always nice to have more when you have the potential to gain it.

There's nothing wrong with setting goals and achieving them. In fact I'm advocating that. What I don't advocate is being miserable when we don't. There's no need for it. How much longer is the world going to keep going for better gadgets and being depressed the whole time they're doing it? The gadgets are useless when you have lost your capacity to live with nothing and still be happy.
Quote by buddha

Quote by fail
I'm as grateful as I am ungrateful. Sure I have it better than a starving orphan in Africa, but I also have it worse than a lot of people. What's the good of comparing?

Finally someone fucking gets it. Just because your life is better than a starving orphan in Africa doesn't mean your life is good.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
Finally someone fucking gets it. Just because your life is better than a starving orphan in Africa doesn't mean your life is good.
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
I find the concept wholly unsavory because "grateful" implies there is someone to be grateful to.

EDIT: Furthermore, dissatisfaction might make you unhappy, but if it's part of a proactive strategy it can drive you to great things. Sitting around saying "Oh golly gee, look how much shittier my life could be!" is a complete waste of time.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
I find the concept wholly unsavory because "grateful" implies there is someone to be grateful to.

God, of course. Not Allah, not Veeeshnu, not Boooda. God.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
God, of course. Not Allah, not Veeeshnu, not Boooda. God.

You should check my edit too, if you would?

And to add to my previous post, being "grateful" all the time means you have a lesser capacity for it when it is actually called for. Like being grateful to your mother for working hard to raise you, or being grateful to a friend for helping you move into a new place. I always hate it when people post things like "I'm so grateful that I live in the blah blah" when they should be grateful to actual people for actual things they did for you.
Quote by captaincrunk
You should check my edit too, if you would?

And to add to my previous post, being "grateful" all the time means you have a lesser capacity for it when it is actually called for. Like being grateful to your mother for working hard to raise you, or being grateful to a friend for helping you move into a new place. I always hate it when people post things like "I'm so grateful that I live in the blah blah" when they should be grateful to actual people for actual things they did for you.

Most definitely. The only thing we have going for us are the people that make our lives better. Any acknowledgement of gratefulness, if and any, should only go out to people. Like you said, I am grateful to my ma for being such a kickass mom, and I'm grateful to a good friend of mine for always offering the truthful, correct, and objective perspective on everything. Shit like that. If you're grateful because you have a smartphone, car, and nice threads to wear, as compared to the poverty stricken, you are just being a selfish asshole.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

Most definitely. The only thing we have going for us are the people that make our lives better. Any acknowledgement of gratefulness, if and any, should only go out to people. Like you said, I am grateful to my ma for being such a kickass mom, and I'm grateful to a good friend of mine for always offering the truthful, correct, and objective perspective on everything. Shit like that. If you're grateful because you have a smartphone, car, and nice threads to wear, as compared to the poverty stricken, you are just being a selfish asshole.

+1, I've got to agree. People who tell you to "be grateful" are usually just trying to shame you somehow for feeling good and using the tools life has given you to achieve happiness.
Quote by behind_you
Just because your life is better than a starving orphan in Africa doesn't mean your life is good.

+infinity

Thinking comparatively in this way just makes no sense in this case, and like someone else said it's pretty damn selfish as well.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Of course it's easy to think like that for a while but days pass by and you still seem to be stuck in the same situations and you just simply forget about the starving orphans in Africa.

Also, in my opinion, being grateful because you're not a starving orphan in Africa seems to imply you are happy for someone else's misfortunes.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Oct 15, 2011,
I don't like the saying. Yeah, I'm grateful I'm in a position of inherent privilege, but that saying is generally used to trivialize someone's desires. I understand I'm not a starving sweatshop worker, but that's thanks to the culture and place I live in. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to be dissatisfied with things in my life.

Here's a quote by Karl Marx that demonstrates what I mean.

A house may be large or small; as long as the neighboring houses are likewise small, it satisfies all social requirement for a residence. But let there arise next to the little house a palace, and the little house shrinks to a hut. The little house now makes it clear that its inmate has no social position at all to maintain.

Relative to Yemeni children, I have life fucking sweet. But that doesn't nullify my opinions or desires, right?
Last edited by due 07 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by behind_you

I agree with this statement.
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412
I have become much more "grateful for what I have", as it were, over the past 3 or 4 years or so, for various reasons, and I think that I am much better for it. I am no longer a cynical, self-righteous, falsely-omniscient product of the advantaged middle class of a country whose average citizenship's biggest burdens are laughable.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by Dreadnought
I have become much more "grateful for what I have", as it were, over the past 3 or 4 years or so, for various reasons, and I think that I am much better for it. I am no longer a cynical, self-righteous, falsely-omniscient product of the advantaged middle class of a country who's average citizenship's biggest burdens are laughable.

Thank you. This is what I'm trying to get across. See my last post
Quote by buddha

You can be grateful while also thirsting for further improvements.

The day I stop being grateful for things is the day that I should probably just kill myself. If i'm feeling selfish and shit I think of all of the material objects I have and break it down until I get to the fact that i'm alive. I look at the sky and my surroundings and the earth: that is the essence of gratitude, IMO. I don't know how anybody can be void of gratitude when looking at the world.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

The day I stop being grateful for things is the day that I should probably just kill myself. If i'm feeling selfish and shit I think of all of the material objects I have and break it down until I get to the fact that i'm alive. I look at the sky and my surroundings and the earth: that is the essence of gratitude, IMO. I don't know how anybody can be void of gratitude when looking at the world.

So much this.
cat
Quote by Dreadnought
I am no longer a cynical, self-righteous, falsely-omniscient product of the advantaged middle class of a country whose average citizenship's biggest burdens are laughable.

I'm ready to assume the role, cap'n.
I enjoy what I have, but I don't like overuse of the phrase. It's like saying we're not allowed to ever be sad over anything because we aren't starving African orphans.

"My grandma has cancer,I really wish we could pay for chemo as well as the mortgage but we just can't."

"Get over it, be grateful you even have a grandma and a house, and you aren't some starving orphan in Africa."

The above would greatly piss me off. There is no connection between real problems and being sad that your 'life sux' because your parents won't buy you designer jeans.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
I enjoy what I have, but I don't like overuse of the phrase. It's like saying we're not allowed to ever be sad over anything because we aren't starving African orphans.

"My grandma has cancer,I really wish we could pay for chemo as well as the mortgage but we just can't."

"Get over it, be grateful you even have a grandma and a house, and you aren't some starving orphan in Africa."

The above would greatly piss me off. There is no connection between real problems and being sad that your 'life sux' because your parents won't buy you designer jeans.

And what are we to tell the starving orphan?

GET OVER YOURSELF FA66OT AT LEAST YOU HAVE LEGS AND A PIECE OF CLOTH DON'T YOU KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WITHOUT LEGS OR RAGS TO DRESS IN
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by bradulator

Who are you grateful to?
Quote by captaincrunk
Who are you grateful to?

I guess to the earth, or to life. I'm really not grateful to anything, i'm grateful for things.
Quote by bradulator
I guess to the earth, or to life. I'm really not grateful to anything, i'm grateful for things.

That's like saying I didn't have sex with someone, I had sex at someone.

You can't just exchange prepositions and expect your words to mean something. Then again I already drilled this argument half a page ago, if you didn't like it then you won't be any more amenable to it now.
Quote by captaincrunk
That's like saying I didn't have sex with someone, I had sex at someone.

You can't just exchange prepositions and expect your words to mean something. Then again I already drilled this argument half a page ago, if you didn't like it then you won't be any more amenable to it now.

Would it please you to say i'm grateful to the world then? That would be fairly accurate I suppose.

But I am grateful to people for the material things they give me, not because of the thing but because it most definitely is the thought that counts. In the same way i'm grateful to the earth for looking beautiful and being able to hold oxygen for me to breathe and all that hippie shit. I just tend to not think of it that way, cause the earth is not a person. I think the same process in being grateful to the person would also apply to the earth, though not a person.
Page 1 of 2