I've recently been contemplating about getting into audio engineering. I see it as a potential career, as I would really like to keep music in my life in a hands on way. I've talked to some friends who are in the field and many of them said it's more experience than education with landing a job and suggested I just start small and record some friends.

I've got some pell grant money saved up, and once I get a job so that I can replenish what I spend, I am going to invest in some studio equipment to start out.

I intent to record rap artists to small bands. The first thing I am going to record is my friends acoustic EP, as he was just going to do it with audacity and a radioshack mic, so anything would be an improvement.

I have about $200 to spend on an interface. I have about $300 to spend on mics. My DAW is going to be REAPER, since I see many good things about it and it being only $60. I will buy pro tools as I become more experienced.

Right now I only really need one mic. That means this mic should be okay for micing an acoustic guitar and doing vocals. Oh, and the interface should be USB too please.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advanced!
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Last edited by Funcoot at Oct 15, 2011,
The thing with recording small bands is you are going to want something than can record at least 5 tracks to a DAW at a time. This is just to get the drums down. So $200 is not going to get you an interface. I wouldn't waste money on a smaller interface if you plan on recording small bands any time soon.
Don't know about the interface, but micwise I'd suggest shure SM57, it's not perfect at anything, but it's good on pretty much everything. Also I like Rode NT5's which of you can get a matched pair for like 300€ (probably like 350$ or something like that), so if you find a single one (don't know if their sold independently at all) get it!
Quote by henrihell
Don't know about the interface, but micwise I'd suggest shure SM57, it's not perfect at anything, but it's good on pretty much everything.

Considering he's wanting to do acoustic and vocals, an SM57 would be a pretty bad choice.

Honestly TS - I'd open up your budget on the interface a bit more. $360 will buy you a new B-Stock Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on eBay (less if you submit your own offer), which is fully capable of getting professional results, as long as you know what you're doing. You'll need a FireWire PCI card (or express card if you're on a laptop), but they're not too expensive, just make sure you get one with a TI chipset. Spend $150 on a used Audio-Technica AT4040 and you'll have a pretty sweet setup for recording vocals and acoustic. If you have any money left over, buy a decent SDC to use with the AT4040 for acoustic.

As you get more money, buy some SM57s for instruments (guitar, drums, etc.), and you'll be able to record 8 tracks at once with the Saffire (expandable to 16 via ADAT).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Considering he's wanting to do acoustic and vocals, an SM57 would be a pretty bad choice.

Honestly TS - I'd open up your budget on the interface a bit more. $360 will buy you a new B-Stock Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on eBay (less if you submit your own offer), which is fully capable of getting professional results, as long as you know what you're doing. You'll need a FireWire PCI card (or express card if you're on a laptop), but they're not too expensive, just make sure you get one with a TI chipset. Spend $150 on a used Audio-Technica AT4040 and you'll have a pretty sweet setup for recording vocals and acoustic. If you have any money left over, buy a decent SDC to use with the AT4040 for acoustic.

As you get more money, buy some SM57s for instruments (guitar, drums, etc.), and you'll be able to record 8 tracks at once with the Saffire (expandable to 16 via ADAT).

+1

I got the Saffire pro 40 and its the best you can get for that price. Lots of imput, decent-pre-amps, Good converter. It does the job well.

A mic I find good for both vocal and Acoustic guitar is the AKG perecption 220, i own 1 myself and it truly sounds great on my acoustic and does the job very well on vox.
Either way that or At4040 , it's pretty close, both Large Diaphragm condensers.

Audio Engineering is Great! Im studying it myself right now in college. If you want get into that, be ready to learn , cuz there a lot to learn. It can get a bit overwhelming at times haha, but its all fun in the end
Last edited by ShevanelFlip at Oct 15, 2011,