Page 1 of 2
This is a question thats been sitting in my head all day so i decided to ask, and who better than a music forum right?

Anyway, to me if someone refers to a band and calls them "mainstream" in my mind it means their played on the radio heaps, not because they might have predictable song structures or the lyrics are kinda bland

So how about you?
Anything that gets/has had regular radio play or is in the Top 40.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
More than 1 fan
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Depends how you look at the word mainstream. Some people see mainstream as a word meaning to opposite of underground.

Where as I see mainstream as a definition of type of popular music. So today's mainstream is Love Songs and simple Dance Beats. If some one (great example being Ed Sheeran) stops playing the music that people know them for and change it for something more popular, that would be them becoming mainstream.
Quote by seniormeld
Anything that is, or made to be on the top 40.

I'd pretty much go with this. Anything that classifies itself as "metalcore" and sounds like Three Days Grace and Avenged Sevenfold is still mainstream to me even if they've played 2 gigs, have 1 original song and have maybe 50 fans.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Music that is played or talked about on the radio and MuchMusic.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Top 40 I think pretty much sums it up
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Pop/Rap/Hip Hop

AKA anything that doesn't need actual talent to produce. All it needs are some sound effects and half naked chicks spamming the screen.

(not that i have a problem with the last part)
ggg1 ggg3

Anything that is broadcasted on radio, and maybe music TV channels regularly.
Professional lurker since 2009.
I guess any band in a particular genre that has or has had an excessive amount of fans or record sales.

Bob Dylan is very "mainstream" in the folk genre, John Coltrane is very "mainstream" in the jazz genre, etc.

That's how I classify it anyway.
It may sound circular, but I'd say mainstream is music is, well, music that's in the "mainstream" of pop culture.
Quote by behind_you
Pop/Rap/Hip Hop

AKA anything that doesn't need actual talent to produce. All it needs are some sound effects and half naked chicks spamming the screen.

*sigh*

For me, I thinks it's kind of influenced by how popular they are amongst my niche. Say if more than 40% of people in my immediate surroundings are really into a particular band at the same point in time I would probably consider that band mainstream. I tend not to think of things globally.

Props to NZ by the way! I hope we win the game tonight!
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
Music that the average, non-musician listens to.
Check out my band Disturbed
Mainstreem is the popular bands of a certain genre, like mainstreem rock atm is foo fighters and chili peppers, metal is all the stuff played at uproar, a7x bullet sevendust, mainstreem pop is easy, practucally top 20. Just whatevers well known.
Anything which follows the archetype of it's style.

The stream is the flow of music in all directions, the mainstream is the forefront of that. Cookie cutter structure, fitting in it's niche. Doesn't have to be radio played popular music. Just within it's style.

Though I try to avoid using terms like "mainstream" and "sell out", because nothing is guaranteed to get 80% of the population more butthurt.
everything, music that is underground can't be listened to....clearly
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by SkepsisMetal

The stream is the flow of music in all directions, the mainstream is the forefront of that. Cookie cutter structure, fitting in it's niche. Doesn't have to be radio played popular music. Just within it's style.

Though I try to avoid using terms like "mainstream" and "sell out", because nothing is guaranteed to get 80% of the population more butthurt.

Nicely said.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Picklelerner
anything the people that I hate listen to

this!
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by StewieSwan
Music that the average, non-musician listens to.

Because us musicians are a far superior lifeform and have much more discerning musical taste?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Sounds good lol.

I have to say BFMV is probably one of my most listened to band's of all time, and i have the longish straightened hair and alot of black clothes, but i try and stray as far away from the "emo, scene" clique as possible.

To me their not mainstream, because i rarely hear anyone else talk about them or listening to them.
Quote by Trowzaa
*sigh*
Sigh at this, bro

Yes, pop music is basically cranial crack, to the point that scientists have actually been able to predict which songs would become big sellers by hooking kids up to an MRI scanner and playing previously unheard pop tunes for them. When a future hit came on, the pleasure center of the brain lit up like a Christmas tree.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you

That doesn't mean it doesn't take talent, that just means it is highly pleasurable... Which takes a lot of talent to do.

Quote by Trowzaa
That doesn't mean it doesn't take talent, that just means it is highly pleasurable... Which takes a lot of talent to do.

You're a big fan of pop, aren't you?
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by BeefWellington
Because us musicians are a far superior lifeform and have much more discerning musical taste?

No, because musicians tend to be drawn to different kinds of music than non-musicians. Ever heard the term 'a musician's band'?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by behind_you
You're a big fan of pop, aren't you?

It's a guilty pleasure

Quote by behind_you
Pop/Rap/Hip Hop

There's lots of good pop and hip hop.
Page 1 of 2