How many of you are self taught and do you find it hard to play with people who took lessons ?
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
I am self taught. I actually developed very bad habits doing it that way but over the last 10 years I have corrected most of them and have no problem jamming with professional taught guitarists.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
mmm im self taught, 7 years playing and i play with a professional guitarist on one of my bands, im nearly as good as him and hes been playing for 16 years, and i dont find any kind of problem playing with him.
I'm self taught as well and also have some bad habits, the problem I run into is terminology
my husband is self taught, and one of the best players i have ever played with. i took lessons, and we play together fine. i've played with lots of both self taught and lesson taught players, and for the most part it's not an issue at all. i've played with some awesome self taught players.

the thing that can be an issue is that some people aren't great at spontaneous jamming, but that applies to both lesson and self taught players. also less experienced players are often harder to play with than more experienced players as they're not as flexible, don't know normal changes and have trouble transposing from one key to another.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
been playing for nearly 7 years and im a mix of self taught and lessons. i took lessons for about 18 months, then stopped for about 2 years, than took them again for another 18months or so with a different teacher. however i could also play sax before i started guitar, so i learnt most of my music theory that way.

i have no problem playing with properly taught guitarists, but i do have problems playing with some self taught ones. i think its down to the guitarist, not how they learnt guitar. the biggest problem i find with the self taught guitarists i know is that they dont know basic chord names, and its hard to explain things to them. in saying that, i think its alot to do with the musician as well, whether theyre eager to learn or not.
I was self taught for about the first 2 years I played, but then I got a teacher and have had lessons for the past 3 1/2 years.

I have a friend who has only ever had lessons for like a month and I find it a bit difficult to play with him because he doesn't really know what I'm talking about if I'm ever talking about theory or scales or staying in key.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
im self thaught and it varies from person to person ive had some self taught guys who were easier to play with than some properly taught guys

but for the most part most other self taught guys dont know the theory behind what they are playing...i dont want to be thta guys so i studied theory and stuff pretty well
I had a good teacher when I was much younger, learning how to read music, (tab wasn't that prevalent then, I don't think), forming scales and chords, and a bunch of pop music of the times.

I understand common chord change patterns, and I suppose, how to cheat at transposing with a capo.

99.9% of the time I play by myself, or along with recorded music.

It makes me a bit apathetic about timing, perhaps adding and extra beat or two if it's convenient. As to the stereo well, when you get tired or bored, you can just put the guitar down and go get a coke. Regardless, the song will finish without you, and no one will be the wiser.....

I suppose I don't play well with others, but that trait isn't just limited to music...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 15, 2011,
I'm self thaugt and I got some problems playing with others.
I've been playing for nearly 5 years now and I got this bad habbit.
I always plays in the same strumming pattern. ALWAYS!!
Even if it don't fit the song.
I'm self taught. Apart from having to discover what you're doing is a bad habit, there aren't many problems that I have faced. It's easier to focus on styles, genres and techniques that you want to know when you're self-taught. I still believe that having a proper teacher is better overall though. It's also a bit difficult to learn music theory on your own in the beginning.
i've always played with myself.... oh crap, we're talking about guitars! i mean...yes.. yes , i'm self taught...brb...gotta go self teach again... ok ok where were we? oh yes... learned to play with...err...by myself years ago and by doing so, i have problems playing with others..i mean professionally taught players( or any other human being for that matter). mom always told me that if i didnt stop self-teaching, i'd go blind.
Quote by stepchildusmc
...[ ]... mom always told me that if i didnt stop self-teaching, i'd go blind.
Don't give it a second thought! You'll get fair warning as to when to ease up, when you fail your first eye exam......

The first one you fail hits you hard! You'll find yourself saying things like,"I don't understand what happened, I studied to pass my eye exam all night".

Quote by HanneSH
I'm self thaugt and I got some problems playing with others.
I've been playing for nearly 5 years now and I got this bad habbit.
I always plays in the same strumming pattern. ALWAYS!!
Even if it don't fit the song.
Oh well, you've gone and taught yourself wrong. Find some old rock from the early 70's. A lot of that stuff is rhythm based, (The Stones, The Who), so you should be able to pick up some different patterns.

If that doesn't help, you can always justify it as being, "your style".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 23, 2011,
don't worry cranky... mom bought me another inflatable....umm...uhh... guitar. try not to pop this one on me.
Oh well, you've gone and taught yourself wrong. Find some old rock from the early 70's. A lot of that stuff is rhythm based, (The Stones, The Who), so you should be able to pick up some different patterns.

If that doesn't help, you can always justify it as being, "your style".

Thank you. I guess I've too many songs that fit with that strumming-pattern.
It is not that hard anymore
Im self taught, apart from a couple of bad habits, I play just as well as professional, baring the habits mind you .
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?