Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. Thanks for having me. Need some advice. Alway been a guns and roses fan so decided afte years of wanting to, i decided to take up guitar. I'm still very very much at beginner stage and need some advice. I was silly and bought the Gibson version of the slash appetite model for 5 grand. Now do I keep learning on this or should I learn on somthing much much much chesper so when I get good I will notice the change in sound???

Cheers from Australia
If you have the gibson, then use it. A lot of people only dream of having one of those....
Quote by slashfan226
If you have the gibson, then use it. A lot of people only dream of having one of those....

so true +1000000
You're a beginner and you've got a 5,000 dollar guitar? Are you that Nigerian prince that keeps e-mailing me?

But, in all seriousness, I would, (since you're apparently loaded as ****) get an (American) Standard Stratocaster. Their much easier for beginners to learn on due to their simplicity yet wide range of tone.

Also, Nirvana. Easy riffs, beginner's dream.
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412
Quote by mps59
so true +1000000

+10000000000

I dream of the Epiphone appetite........

TS, you're far better off starting on the Gibson. Chances are you won't encounter any problems in playability (unless of course if you don't take care of it). Plus no need to change tuners/pickups like many beginners do after awhile.

Did I mention I dream of the SD Slash alnico iis......

Seriously, use it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
It's never too late to start, and learning on shit guitars sucks!

I find the better equipment I have, the more I want to play.
Get used to yours for a while, then go to a guitar store and pick up a low end fender/epiphone and you will be very glad you got yours
Synyster Special
Schecter PT 30th Anniversary
Schecter Damien-6

Sold:
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Schecter C-1 Custom
Schecter Synyster Custom (finish defect)
Schecter C-1+
Keep what you have, I mean no sense in reselling if you like it. Play some ACDC. Rocking out like Angus really kept me motivated to learn more. You only need to learn to play a few chords to play a lot of their songs. You'll find it's not as hard to play a lot of the songs you like.
Last edited by griffin888 at Oct 15, 2011,
No harm in learning on a nice guitar. Your ear will develop whether or not you play a crappy guitar first. I do firmly believe that beginners should start off with a modeling amp, though. If you haven't gotten an amp yet, that's where I would start. A modeling amp will let you figure out which effects and types of amps you like, so that when you're ready for a higher end unit you'll have more of an idea of what to look for.
Quote by Roc8995
No harm in learning on a nice guitar. Your ear will develop whether or not you play a crappy guitar first. I do firmly believe that beginners should start off with a modeling amp, though. If you haven't gotten an amp yet, that's where I would start. A modeling amp will let you figure out which effects and types of amps you like, so that when you're ready for a higher end unit you'll have more of an idea of what to look for.

This 100%. Although I have a tube amp, I use my mustang iii more because its alot easier to get whatever sound you want without spending 1k+ on pedals. Its also alot more convenient...sure you sacrifice some tone but its worth it in the end.

I'm pretty used to my modeller and hardly ever use a tube amp. Unless you're gigging, why be OCD about tone (and overdrive...get it.....OCD? )
That wasn't funny, was it?

EDIT: But you could always have both! No sense playing a 5k guitar into a $100 amp. Honestly, get a modeling amp first and after a few months when you know what sound you're aiming for then get a good tube amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Oct 16, 2011,
If you can afford it why not I've sold plenty of $2,000+ guitars to rich kids wanting to play. If anything it'll only benefit and compliment your playing.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Use the Gibson. This way you can focus on playing and not be distracted by crap parts or wanting better guitars.
Yep, use what you've got.

The reason it's suggested you buy a cheapie to learn on is only because it won't be a massive waste of money if you give up. Most of my friends in high school played guitar and they never spent more than $300 on a guitar + amp together. I'm one of the few who still play.
Keep the Gibby, enjoy it! Since you spent that much money on it I'll assume you're very serious about learning to play, so you should have a quality instrument. If you can afford a Gibson, why the hell not? You're not gonna want to keep playing on some cheapo guitar that won't hold tuning, sounds like ass, and needs constant repairs on the hardware.

Worst case scenario, you decide you're not passionate about it, you got something much cooler than a Guns N Roses poster to hang on your wall
I love how the fact that he said he was 32 made nobody question his buying of a $5,000 guitar without knowing how to play it.

Anyway, I say what the rest have said, use it. Its nice.
Where's Waldo?
Its fine... I wish i learned on that nice of a guitar, would have made me more motivated early on, yet I think i was just so happy to go from a nylon sting acoustic to an electric, it didn't matter what kind. I would definitely get a modeling amp to learn with though. My first two amps were Line 6. They were fine, though people seem to like the Peavy better. At the end of the day, i think most modeling amps are pretty similar. But definitely keep the guitar
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

You may have ruined cheaper guitars for yourself, but there's nothing wrong with learning on an expensive Gibson. But I don't know, I learned on a guitar that I would consider to be easily comparable to Gibson custom, but I feel great beauty and enjoyment in cheaper(but still good quality) guitars.

Enjoy your Gibson, there's many people out there that wish it was theirs.
*Looks at Epiphone Les Paul Custom he's had for nearly 6 years*

Bastard.
I started out with an expensive guitar. It was a good decision. There's absolutely no reason at all to play a bad guitar if you can afford a Gibson like that.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Any guitar with good wood, electronics, craftsmanship, and setup is what matters. I just bought a couple Chinese guitars for 125 each that are better than my 700 Jacksons in every way. (The brand starts with an X).
This makes me feel better. I felt bad for having a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Supreme and a Marshall Vintage Modern after four years of playing!

Nothing wrong with having a good guitar when you start out. You worked for the guitar. It's not like the money was handed to you (I hope). Getting a good sound from the off with make playing a lot more enjoyable.
Quote by Flibo
I started out with an expensive guitar. It was a good decision. There's absolutely no reason at all to play a bad guitar if you can afford a Gibson like that.

I beg to differ. Learning to play guitar is ****ing hard. I can't imagine how furious my parents would be if, 5-7 (can't remember) years ago when I started out they bought me a $5000 guitar and then I just gave up. Heaps of people give up after less than a year of playing.

I wouldn't ever tell somebody what to do with their own money, but I'd give advice.

But you bought it, so you might as well play it. No sense in buying a shit guitar when you've already got a great one. Good luck, and I hope you stick with it (otherwise you just wasted a lot of money)
Quote by chadreed32
I love how the fact that he said he was 32 made nobody question his buying of a $5,000 guitar without knowing how to play it.

Anyway, I say what the rest have said, use it. Its nice.

Spending 5k as a kid is not the same as paying 5k when you're an adult. One most likely points to the guitar he wanted and got his daddy to buy it. The other most likely paid for it himself. As am adult the guy knew the risk he got himself in, so who are we to take digs at that?

OT: TS, you don't need to downgrade, if anything the price tag can be a motivator. Like others said, buy a modeller and figure out what your tone is. Then in 1-2 years start looking for your amp. Make sure you do tons of research, otherwise you could end up with buyer's remorse.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Nice Guitar to learn on.
Like said above, a Modeling amp is the place to start. It will give you many options from the start. I'd suggest looking at a Line 6 Spider Valve 1x12 or a Peavey Vyper tube 1x12. Both are extreamly versitile, and the fact they have tube power section really improves the tone out of them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
good luck with starting, and don't let anyone tell you you're too old

i'd just use the gibson- you've already bought it, selling it will incur a loss, and keeping it but not using it just seems silly.

Now get a nice amp As colin says, modelling might be the way to go at the start so you can figure out what you like.

Quote by chadreed32

i never complain when younger people have nice gear, either.

if you don't like that some people can afford stuff that you can't, or that people get stuff that they don't deserve, your argument is with capitalism, not beginner guitarists with nice gear
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i never complain when younger people have nice gear, either.

if you don't like that some people can afford stuff that you can't, or that people get stuff that they don't deserve, your argument is with capitalism, not beginner guitarists with nice gear

I think its just fine that he has a nice guitar, and I'm glad he has it.

Its just the number of people on this forum that would say stuff like that is ridiculous, and I was expecting the first post to have something to do with that.
Where's Waldo?
oh i agree.

but it's very rarely regulars who come out with guff like that, normally it's people from other forums who just poke their head in for a bit of trolling
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought my first electric back in '07 with only about two years of playing experience. But, I went and bought exactly what I wanted, price be damned because I was 27 and had 6 years in at a job. I bought a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom. It's a beauty.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with taking a big leap like you did. I've had a few doubts about going as far as I did with so little experience, but those doubts disappear every time I plug that LP in. As you progress, I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

I would definitely take all of that amp advice seriously, if I were you. I can only add that if you don't live in a place where you can be loud, don't go buying a high-wattage tube amp. You may never need something like that at all.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
if you got a job and your a grown ass man, sure. we all want nice stuff. if you were 12 i would say your are an idiot. but that is obviously an investment and a guitar that will hold value even if you quit. so, good choice. you have also eliminated a key part of what we all worry about - our gear negatively affecting our sound. you never have to worry about your guitar dong that.

now...please keep in mind to have the same attitude towards your amp. my philoophy is the amp should be = or 2x as much as the guitar, because it makes the largest difference on tone. if you play your gibson through a spider, it will pretty mich sound the same as a 200 dollar guitar through a spider.

a guitar is a tool like a hammer. some are better some are worse but its a tool. an amp is like a high tech computer - so much stuff going on and it makes such a huge impact on performance, you must take a lot of factors into account. flavors of tube, wattage, voicing, speaker, class of amp, tube/solid state, etc - all do very noticable things and react very differently to your pedals and guitar. its very important.

good luch learning, but if you have the money, i urge you not to overlook quality pedals and amps. they overall have a larger impact on your tone than the guitar. i would rather have a 400 dollar guitar that sounds good and 5000 dollars worth of amps and pedals than the other way around.
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh i agree.

but it's very rarely regulars who come out with guff like that, normally it's people from other forums who just poke their head in for a bit of trolling

Yea, I probably should have clarified that in my first post, huh?
Where's Waldo?
My uncle bought an American Strat without knowing how to play. Let me tell you his ambition to play died within a week or so, so I think it was a midlife crisis thing. I hope he gives it to me though becuase his son doesn't know jack squat about music.
Keep the gibson, and go spend some money on a decent modeling amp. Fender Super Champ XD is super simple, and sounds good, but if you want more versatility, get a Fender mustang.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by chadreed32
Yea, I probably should have clarified that in my first post, huh?

ahaha no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks For the advice guys. Don't go shopping after a Relationship break up! U tend to do stupid stuff. Ohh well, let's get rockin..
If you can not only afford but also justify spending 5 grand on your first guitar then I say go for it!

I reckon a contribution to a lot of new starter who quit is because they can't afford a quality guitar and a good amp and some effects. It can turn some people off playing if their gear sounds crap.

If you start with good gear, you actually hear the results of your improvement over time in the tone you produce and control. Its a motivation to just....keep...playing...
If you think you can't afford the Gibson then sell it of course. Thousands of excellent guitars for MUCH less. But if you're just freakin loaded then go for it dude. Gibsons do keep their price quality, so you could get a good price on it if you tried to sell. (or could you even returns it?)

Just a suggestion
Quote by sammyb11
Thanks For the advice guys. Don't go shopping after a Relationship break up! U tend to do stupid stuff. Ohh well, let's get rockin..

actually that's when alot of people write the best stuff of thier music career

Yeah man, nothing wrong with learning to play on that guitar. I would reccomend a modeler for you're first amp (takes people a while to develope the sound they want, or to figure out what sound they want, lol). It'll allow you to experiment with different tones easily. Then when you found one you like, you can buy the real deal amp (modelers model other amps).

I like the peavy vypyr's, and they are alot less expensive than that guitar a tube 60 would be good, assuming you have a place where you can play loud.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
no no hell, with a $5k guitar, get a Line 6 POD HD500, and a small tube amp to run it through. those miltifx cang et really fun, and have loads of options.
You're lucky starting out now (and I don't mean just because of the nice guitar). There are tons of resources online to learn just about anything if you are motivated enough. When I started 30 years ago you either learned from lessons, books or friends. Now you've got websites up the wazoo and videos and DVDs and GuitarPro and you name it where you can find the tabs of any song or look up any chord or find the proper fingering of the phrygian G# scale in the third position, yadda yadda yadda. So have at it.

And honestly, I think the guitar's a little over the top. You don't buy a Mercedes to learn to drive, though I guess you could. There are plenty of $1000 or $2000 guitars you could learn on that would definitely not hold you back. But the Gibby will hold its value so if it makes you happy then good.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Oct 17, 2011,
Page 1 of 2