When I first had to change my strings I came on here to make sure I was doing it right and someone had mentioned that you should wrap it around the peg with your fingers and then put it through the peg-hole afterwards, instead of just putting it through the peg-hole and then turning the tuning-key to wind it, because this kept it in tune better or something. I could imagine it coming unwound if you did it the second way so I took the advice and I've restrung my guitar the same way ever since then. It takes ages and I get pricked ridiculously by trying to manually bend the strings around the pegs, but it beats having to tune up every time I play.

Anyway, I'm changing them again now, and wondering if there's any point in keeping this up? Can someone explain to me exactly what the difference is between the two ways of stringing it? Do they come unwound if you thread first and loop around the peg second? I've got a regular non-locking strat style if that helps
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That is great Cathbard. Never seen it diagramed like that
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
I line the hole with the fretboard and put the string straight through with 1 1/2" of slack or so. Then bend the string around the peg and wind it like the picture above shows.
Quote by Picksqueal72
That is great Cathbard. Never seen it diagramed like that

I knicked it out of Jenny's setup thread over at EG.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The twist trick is how I've strung mine for a decade or so, save for the guitar I have fitted with Grover locking heads.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Alot of guys that gig often use the "wind three times around then through the peg method", when you break a string on stage and you need to do it as quick as possible between songs. With a little practice you can be ready to go under a minute.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Alot of guys that gig often use the "wind three times around then through the peg method", when you break a string on stage and you need to do it as quick as possible between songs. With a little practice you can be ready to go under a minute.

Or do it properly and use a string winder. And anyway, stringing a guitar during a gig is the roady's job.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Or do it properly and use a string winder. And anyway, stringing a guitar during a gig is the roady's job.

Too funny, man! I wish.....
I keep a spare guitar right next to me when I play, so if anything goes awry on stage, I'm only down for maybe 15 seconds. It happens.
I run the string through the winder hole, wrap it around itself 3X, then just tighten up the tuner. It ain't the prettiest way but it's f#@king fast, & never goes out of tune if you pre-stretch it first. Tune it 3 octaves sharp, then back it off. It'll be so pre-stretched that it won't go out of tune. USUALLY....

No, really. I'm not joking. I actually DO THIS. And it works...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I keep a spare guitar right next to me when I play, so if anything goes awry on stage, I'm only down for maybe 15 seconds. It happens.

+1. Restringing during a gig? Lol. You're crazy. Always have a backup. That's precious time you're wasting.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

Roadie? Roadie!?

The chances of me ever having a roadie is about the same as me having hoards of blue eyed teenaged groupies. So I guess I'll just have to settle for improperly strung guitars.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by Offworld92
+1. Restringing during a gig? Lol. You're crazy. Always have a backup. That's precious time you're wasting.

There was a time when I always brought a backup, but then I read a book where the author said "simplify" and I took that to mean "quit taking so much unneeded stuff dummy", so now it's just one guitar, one amp, and on duffle bag of cables and stuff, works for me.
Quote by riffhog
I run the string through the winder hole, wrap it around itself 3X, then just tighten up the tuner. It ain't the prettiest way but it's f#@king fast, & never goes out of tune if you pre-stretch it first. Tune it 3 octaves sharp, then back it off. It'll be so pre-stretched that it won't go out of tune. USUALLY....

3 octaves sharp??? that doesn't pop them?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I always have at least three guitars on stage all with different tunings. If I break a string I hand it to the roady I know knows how to string a guitar (if none of them can, teach one of them to do it) and I grab another guitar, retune it and continue.
Tuning up three octaves? What wrong with grabbing the string and giving it a good stretch?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by riffhog

word? I hope you actually mean 3 steps, or half steps up... because I would have to imagine that a string can't be tuned THREE FULL OCTAVES above what it's supposed to be tuned to.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
word? I hope you actually mean 3 steps, or half steps up... because I would have to imagine that a string can't be tuned THREE FULL OCTAVES above what it's supposed to be tuned to.

Yeah, I was drinking somewhat heavily when I typed that
3 full steps or so, yank it tight a few times & tune down then back up to pitch. Sorry about that. Yeah, I'd think 3 full octaves would probably break some strings
My bad.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011