Couldn't find a thread for this amazing band.

I find, that for me at least, they are the epitome of music as an art. Their music is intricate and brilliant, it builds you up and throws you around like a rollercoaster. And then you read Maynard's lyrics and it just throws you on a whole new level of awe.

Some of their masterpieces:

Lateralus - This is truly a piece of art. The time signature is in the Fibonacci sequence. The lyrics are in the Fibonacci sequence. The song uses the spiral of the Fibonacci sequence as a metaphor for life. And yet somehow it still manages to be an amazing song musically.

Schism - One of the best bass lines ever.

Ticks and Leeches - Awesome drumming, one of the best rock drum solos ever - and my favourite implementation of screaming that I've heard.

Right In Two - Personally my favourite lyrics.

'Angels on the sideline, puzzled and amused. Why did Father give these humans free will? Now they're all confused. Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around? Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys, give them thumbs they forge a club and beat their brother down."

Wings for Marie pt. 1 + 2 (10 000 days) - So emotional. A true epic, opera style rock song about his mum's paralysis and eventual death. Comes straight from Maynard's angry, despairing heart.
Modern rock forum

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
How the hell is a time signature in a Fibonacci sequence?

Quote by wiki
The time signatures of the chorus of the song change from 9/8 to 8/8 to 7/8; as drummer Danny Carey says, "It was originally titled 9-8-7. For the time signatures. Then it turned out that 987 was the 17th number of the Fibonacci sequence. So that was cool."

Seriously?
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
How the hell is a time signature in a Fibonacci sequence?

Seriously?

Do you mean, as in, I'm wrong - or you can't believe they did it?

Also, does anyone have a link of the thread in Modern Rock?
If they wrote a song that was two bars of 1/4, then a bar of 2/4, then 3/4, then 5/8, then 8/8, then 13/8, and it was definitely noticeably in those time signatures and never went into half time or double time, then they'd get to say they wrote a song in the fibonacci sequence.

Having time signatures that are a bit like one of the numbers that happen to be in it doesn't count.

Of course that would mean that by the 17th bar, they'd be in 987/32. That's their fault for having a stupid fucking idea.

EDIT: I used wikipedia to find out that 5 plus 3 is 8.
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 16, 2011,
Of course there whole song isn't the Fibonacci sequence strictly, but its based off it. Theres the 987 time signature. The lyrics of the verses go in terms of syllables per line goes: 1-1-2-3-5-8-13. And then the lyrics are based around living your life like a Fibonacci spiral. As you said, they weren't going to be stupid and actually write a song completely down the Fibonacci pattern.
its only coincidence. Tool has a way of making a big deal out of dumb shit

btw threadstarter... you know there are several search bars all over this site... just look around and you might find something...

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Last edited by rg_metal at Oct 16, 2011,