the problem: what do you do if you found a cool guitar mod that you like so much you want to do it to all your guitars but you have 14 guitars?
the answer:part 1: get a stomp box, but they no longer make one or have a diy box available or even a diagram. so..
the answer : part 2: modify the mod and make your own, ever so simple, stompbox guitar mod.
presenting the VARIATONE 12 or capacitors on a rotary switch in a box.
I came across this guitar mod in an older post about a mod called a varitone where with a rotary switch and 3 to 6 capacitorss you make a varible frequency tone mod that filters out different values of high frequencies so you can make a single coil guitar sound like humbuckers and on the higher values it will sound like a hollowbody jazz box. I took it to the extreme and went for the 11 cap modded rotary switch with the 12th pole open for bypass, see the picture below, I stuck that whole mess into an empty A/B box with 2 output jacks. connected the hot lead from the caps to the tip connection and the 100k resistor to the ground or sleeve connection..this way the vol and tone on the guitar will add even more tonal choices...what a simple but great mod/pedal..there used to be one of these called a variobooster I believe, check out how simple it is please excuse the wiring this is a quick prototype, I am gonna order more caps and a switch and a box to make a nice professional looking box..
Attachments:
11varitonea.jpg
This is my guitar
There are many like it but this one is mine
My guitar is my best friend it is my life
I must master it as I master my life
My guitar without me is useless
Without my guitar I am useless
here are pics of my variatone pedal from the post above and another project to display all my guitars
Attachments:
vtone 001a.jpg
gitarampcenter2a.jpg
This is my guitar
Last edited by camara53 at Oct 19, 2011,
....this may be stupid and backward, but I'd just mod all 14 guitars........ But I'm boring like that.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I had a Gibson L6S years ago with a five way switch that did the same thing as your design. Each setting made a real difference in the sound of the guitar. Making it into a stomp box is a cool idea. I might have to borrow this idea....

I have the same love for 'spin-o-splits', Want them in every guitar I have. Not possible in every guitar I own. Just don't have the heart to pull out 1970 humbuckers.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this, Was wondering something. If you change the value of the cap going to ground would it change the sound of every selection on the dial?
thats not a cap thats a 100ohm resistor and changing the value wouldnt make any sonic changes in the tone all this does is smmoth out the surge when you switch the dial to a different cap
This is my guitar
Last edited by camara53 at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Do you reckon you could make the image in your original post larger? I'm quite interested in doing something like this.

I posted a better picture in my profile under the my pictures folder if thats not good enough or u cant find it send me your email and I will send it to u that way
bill
This is my guitar
I built the variatone with on a rotary switch with a "chicken head" knob. This one has 11 capacitors (the 12th position being the bypass). Details can be found below.
To build your own, below are a few recipes. Capacitor values are expressed in both microfarads (uF) and picofarads (pF) since many of these components are found with value expressed in either unit.

6- position varitone (Griblin model)
100,000 pF= 0.1 µF
50,000 pF = 0.047 µF
39,000 pF = 0.039 µF
10,000 pF = 0.01 µF
2,200 pF = 0.0022 µF
0 pF = 0 µF (bypass)

6-position varitone (Gibson's "Lucille" and Blueshawk models*)
220,000 pF= 0.22 µF
30,000 pF = 0.03 µF
10,000 pF = 0.01 µF
3,000 pF = 0.003 µF
1,000 pF = 0.001 µF
0 pF = 0 µF (bypass)

*This is according to a couple schematics I found on the web. Supposedly there are also resistors included in the circuit to balance the output level of the signal, but I don't believe they are required.
Incidentally, I tried the B.B. King model in the store on a couple occasions and did not find the effect to be as dramatic (or as useful) as with the Griblin version. Of course, as with everything else in the search for the perfect tone, this all depends on the type of the pickups, your amp, effects, and the alignment of the planets!

12-position varitone (my own recipe)

220,000 pF= 0.22 µF
100,000 pF= 0.1 µF
47,000 pF = 0.047 µF
22,000 pF = 0.022 µF
15,000 pF = 0.015 µF
10,000 pF = 0.01 µF
4,700 pF = 0.0047 µF
1,500 pF = 0.0015 µF
1000 pF = 0.001 µF
330 pF = 0.00033 µF
100 pF = 0.0001 µF
0 pF = 0 µF (bypass)
This is my guitar
Last edited by camara53 at Oct 18, 2011,
Im not good with this kind of stuff. All this is is a 12 position switch that routes the signal through a different capacitor at each position? And that gives you all kinds of different tones?

I can do this!
Quote by W4RP1G
Im not good with this kind of stuff. All this is is a 12 position switch that routes the signal through a different capacitor at each position? And that gives you all kinds of different tones?

I can do this!

yes u can its easy
This is my guitar
Can anyone recommend a good online electronic parts store that won't charge an arm and leg to ship? I'm in the US.
try small bear electric ...google them for the webpage
also try mouser.com
they are the best 2 I found
This is my guitar
Last edited by camara53 at Oct 18, 2011,
Quote by camara53
thats not a cap thats a 100ohm resistor and changing the value wouldnt make any sonic changes in the tone all this does is smmoth out the surge when you switch the dial to a different cap

Thanks! Just wondering.
:O can you say awesomesauce????? Because tho I the first time I see this and it's just a plain awesome idea to make, us its not hard an takes little time to build.

Saved to phone!!! I might try building this later on hahahahahah.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Heilz
:O can you say awesomesauce????? Because tho I the first time I see this and it's just a plain awesome idea to make, us its not hard an takes little time to build.

Saved to phone!!! I might try building this later on hahahahahah.

yes it was the 1st ti,e I saw this too and I love it so easy simple cheap and does so much sonically to your tone by filtering out highs or lows you can make single coils sound like a humbucker jazz box I just love this one if you live around the new york area use small bear electronics for parts they are in brooklyn I believe
the electronic parts switch,knob,resistor and caps only cost $12.00 or so
This is my guitar