Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,
In class I had to create a song, I chose to make it on GP.
But there are some questions that I have to answer like "What is the genre?" and "How is this style created?".
Its kind of hard to place a genre on it because the violin in the song is the vocal melody.
If anyone could help me identify that would be awesome!
I've uploaded the file on this post.
Attachments:
Year 11 U3 Composition.mid
Okay thanks for the answers guys, yeah I guess there's somewhat something "core" about it.
I'll try pass it off as Melodic Hardcore, unless anyone changes my opinion in the next week or so. Haha thanks
Well it just sounds like computer game music to us - only you can interpret it in the way you hear it.

Alternatively if you can't figure it out I'll just vote j-pop.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well it just sounds like computer game music to us - only you can interpret it in the way you hear it.

Alternatively if you can't figure it out I'll just vote j-pop.

You could help define what genre it is by looking at the theory.
It has 2 Guitars, Drums, Low 5 string bass and vocals. So it's not pop...
Just by looking at the instruments you can see that, although it obviously does sound like music from a game but that's because it's written with Guitar Pro.
Quote by Grimwade
Just by looking at the instruments you can see that, although it obviously does sound like music from a game but that's because it's written with Guitar Pro.

Just because a song has two guitars, drums, vocals and a 5 string bass does not mean that it's in some sort of special genre. You could literally make any genre of music with those instruments. I could hear pop in that file. You could hear metal.

The only difference in weight of our opinions is that you know what it's "supposed" to sound like, whilst I'm just hearing a midi file, which has a really bright sound to it, with no dynamics by virtue of the nature of a midi file.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Just because a song has two guitars, drums, vocals and a 5 string bass does not mean that it's in some sort of special genre. You could literally make any genre of music with those instruments. I could hear pop in that file. You could hear metal.

The only difference in weight of our opinions is that you know what it's "supposed" to sound like, whilst I'm just hearing a midi file, which has a really bright sound to it, with no dynamics by virtue of the nature of a midi file.

No I hear a midi file as well, I created a midi, I hear a midi. But if I were to record each individual track, would you say it would be J-Pop? You can hear the timbre of each track and suggest it's a distorted guitar unless you are unfamiliar with GP.
Quote by Grimwade
No I hear a midi file as well, I created a midi, I hear a midi. But if I were to record each individual track, would you say it would be J-Pop? You can hear the timbre of each track and suggest it's a distorted guitar unless you are unfamiliar with GP.

I can only hear what it is mate. I'm not going to try to read your mind.
Soundcloud
I was misled by a viola being labeled as a violin. This is unacceptable
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Grimwade

KSM was very much a tweener girl-pop group and that's precisely the setup they had, with the possible exception of the Low 5 bass. In fact, they even recorded a song called "Two Guitars, Bass and a Drum".

In other words, I agree with Alan.
Quote by Grimwade

why is that instrumentation not pop??????
Quote by Hail
I was misled by a viola being labeled as a violin. This is unacceptable

Haha sorry man, I hate it when people do that too.
I was in a rush :P
Lol you guys are you dudes fried?, I DARE you to find a J-Pop song with two distorted guitars, 5 string bass ( or 4 doesn't matter cause your wrong), drums and an emphasized melodic line for said guitar(s). Btw KSM is like power pop/ pop rock.
Make me proud.
Quote by Grimwade
Lol you guys are you dudes fried?, I DARE you to find a J-Pop song with two distorted guitars, 5 string bass ( or 4 doesn't matter cause your wrong), drums and an emphasized melodic line for said guitar(s). Btw KSM is like power pop/ pop rock.
Make me proud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQCjaKZFHIU

You're pretty limited in thinking what sounds those instruments can make.

Edit: Here's another video of the same band with 2 bassists http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tLtK6Re4S4
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQCjaKZFHIU

You're pretty limited in thinking what sounds those instruments can make.

Edit: Here's another video of the same band with 2 bassists http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tLtK6Re4S4

Bro not limited thinking, but selective.
Imma link in this post that J-Pop song as a midi.
And then seriously tell me if you can't distinguish a genre between the two.
Attachments:
maria_chiisana_uta.mid
Quote by Grimwade
Bro not limited thinking, but selective.
Imma link in this post that J-Pop song as a midi.
And then seriously tell me if you can't distinguish a genre between the two.

Not really, although I'd say the j-pop song is arguably "heavier" than yours.

You obviously have some genre in mind and you're going to disagree with anyone who deviates fro your vision.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Not really, although I'd say the j-pop song is arguably "heavier" than yours.

You obviously have some genre in mind and you're going to disagree with anyone who deviates fro your vision.

You really didn't think that answer out, Why am I make a post asking what genre this is if I already know the answer in my mind.
Have you taken music theory before?
Do you download Guitar Pro tabs?
I think the problem here is that TS has a vision for this song that Alan doesn't have. All he has is the midi file.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Grimwade
You really didn't think that answer out, Why am I make a post asking what genre this is if I already know the answer in my mind.
Have you taken music theory before?
Do you download Guitar Pro tabs?

I'm not going to entertain this any further.
Soundcloud
And the problem that midi programs aren't always the best about representing how something sounds with real instrumentation. So even if you set out to write a cool jazz tune, it'll probably give people the "video game music" vibe anyways because of the midi sounds and overall fake feel.
Ayumi Hamasaki - Talkin' 2 Myself
Koda Kumi - Ningyo Hime

It's heavy, but it's still jpop. I could probably find better examples if I could be bothered.

Anyway, why are you going to 'try pass it off as melodic hardcore'? Just call it metalcore.

Edit: Wow, am I late to the party. Ignore this post.

Oh, cool song Alan. This thread should now be about Jpop. Any Polysics fans?
Last edited by Jesse Clarkson at Oct 18, 2011,
I can't help but comment on my feeling of being lost about the explosion of subgenres related to metal and punk. It's like a woke up one day and there were 10 new genres that end with "core", and most of them sound mostly the same to me.

For example, what's the difference between hardcore and metalcore? Metalcore just sounds like a hardcore band that's trying to be more metal - and a decent chunk of hardcore bands sound like punk musicians who want to play metal anyways. Is there really significant enough differences to warrant naming a new genre?
Jesus christ, I can't be screwed explaining differnces between why I choose to call it Melodic Hardcore rather than Metalcore. haha maybe just wikipedia those 2 genres.
Also dude it takes time to analyse differences between genres.
Just go have a listen to a bunch of metalcore songs and hardcore punk songs. You'll get it sooner or later.
Quote by Brainpolice2
Is there really significant enough differences to warrant naming a new genre?

It appears to be more important to actually define your music within that genre than what the genre's actual music features are. It's cool to be in that genre so you'd better be in it otherwise you're not cool.

Edit: That Koda Kumi - Ningyo Hime song above is awesome, and the girl makes me feel funny.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It appears to be more important to actually define your music within that genre than what the genre's actual music features are. It's cool to be in that genre so you'd better be in it otherwise you're not cool.

Dude where are you pulling this from. If you want to be "Cool" you would conform with the top 100 playlist and make your music Pop. 90% of people despise any other genre.
Quote by Grimwade
Dude where are you pulling this from. If you want to be "Cool" you would conform with the top 100 playlist and make your music Pop. 90% of people despise any other genre.

That must come from the "90% of statistics on the internet are made up" book.

So what you're saying is that if I wanted to make my band cool, I would make it pop.
Soundcloud
Quote by Grimwade
Jesus christ, I can't be screwed explaining differnces between why I choose to call it Melodic Hardcore rather than Metalcore. haha maybe just wikipedia those 2 genres.
Also dude it takes time to analyse differences between genres.
Just go have a listen to a bunch of metalcore songs and hardcore punk songs. You'll get it sooner or later.
It sounds like you just don't want to class it as metalcore, probably due to negative connotations attached to it. Two others in this thread also stated that it sounds like metalcore.
Quote by AlanHB
That Koda Kumi - Ningyo Hime song above is awesome, and the girl makes me feel funny.
Quote by AlanHB
That must come from the "90% of statistics on the internet are made up" book.

So what you're saying is that if I wanted to make my band cool, I would make it pop.

I making a generalization, I would of quoted a actual site if I had the proper information.
My stats are based on people in my school.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
It sounds like you just don't want to class it as metalcore, probably due to negative connotations attached to it. Two others in this thread also stated that it sounds like metalcore.

I listen to Metalcore... In fact I love it.
All That Remains, Avenged Sevenfold, Dead and Divine.
Now tell me why I don't want to classify it as that, no wait I'll tell you.
Because it doesn't sound like metalcore.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
So, TS, why'd you come here to ask people's opinions when all you're going to do is argue with them after they give them to you and then substitute your own in their place?

If I ask for directions and someone point to a short cut on a traffic gridlocked freeway, why wouldn't I argue.
Quote by Brainpolice2
So is this going to devolve into a discussion or debate about the sociology of musical genres? That's cool with me

People get a surge of dopamine when listening to something they can predict apparently haha
If I'm going to be honest it does sound like J-Pop to me. I wouldn't say metalcore, but definitely a Pop of the J kind.

Keep in mind that J-Pop is tons different from American Pop and K-Pop.

Dir en grey - Yokan

This is a J-Pop song that's in the style of what you wrote. Just accept it for what it is. Right now it just sounds like you have confirmation bias and came in here with a preconceived notion of what you wanted it to be called.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
If I'm going to be honest it does sound like J-Pop to me. I wouldn't say metalcore, but definitely a Pop of the J kind.

Dir en grey - Yokan

This is a J-Pop song that's in the style of what you wrote. Just accept it for what it is. Right now it just sounds like you have confirmation bias and came in here with a preconceived notion of what you wanted it to be called.

Describe the Genre "J-Pop" thanks
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Dir en grey - Yokan

I'd call Dir En Grey J-rock or visual kei. Especially when you get to songs like Obscure, it's hard to throw them under the pop banner. That being said, there's not a lot of difference between the two sometimes. I find male vocalists tend to lead it into the rock/visual kei category.

TS, you decided on a genre without a single one of us suggesting it. It seems like you have already made a decision, so why did you ask? Anyway, I doubt your music teacher will know the difference considering nobody else appears to.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
I'd call Dir En Grey J-rock or visual kei. Especially when you get to songs like Obscure, it's hard to throw them under the pop banner. That being said, there's not a lot of difference between the two sometimes. I find male vocalists tend to lead it into the rock/visual kei category.

TS, you decided on a genre without a single one of us suggesting it. It seems like you have already made a decision, so why did you ask? Anyway, I doubt your music teacher will know the difference considering nobody else appears to.

Haha but I did decide on my genre based on opinion. The first two people in fact.
And it makes a difference if you work with tablature programs.
Page 1 of 2