'Evenin all. I don't regularly come into the guitar forum, but I'm in need of some advice regarding strings.

Recently I've been playing a lot more guitar, mainly because my practice bass amp sounds far better with guitar than bass, but that's beside the point.

I need some new strings.

Here's the deal: I usually go for EB regular slinky, but on occasion have used D'addario. I like both, but haven't got anywhere near the level of experience to make a fully informed decision. Add to this that I've been changing tunings a lot recently, and I'm really not too sure what to do. I spend a lot of time in standard, but also every few days like to go down to C standard, or sometimes drop C.

The strings I've got at the moment, (reg slinky) seem to cope, but I feel I could get some that would be better suited to the lower tunings, without sacrificing too much on the standard tuning front. I've looked at power slinky, but methinks they may not do too well in standard.

Anyone got any ideas? Obviously, in an ideal world, I'd get another guitar (currently on my £140 Harley Benton eBay special) and use different tunings/strings on each, but that's not an option at the moment. So what strings would you recommend?

(for the record, the neck doesn't seem to mind the detuning/retuning - In fact, the neck is one of the few things that actually does it's job well...)

Cheers
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
D'addario EXL140 is probably your best bet. Those are probably the thickest strings you can comfortably throw on your guitar and play in standard tuning with.
I have two guitars for this.
My BC rich plays Standard. My Dean plays drop-tune. Since they are both tremelo-fitted it's impractical changing the tuning.

My Strat can play drop D or Drop halfstep etc.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I use EB regular slinkys, super slinky's, D'addario 9-42, And Dean Markley Jimi Hendrix 9-42/10-46.

I cant really tell a diffrence in their construction.

I use all these strings in E standard, Drop D, D Standard, Drop C. They work fine with out issue. That being said I did have to learn to play with much more control in my pick attack, which takes time.

I laugh when people say light strings can't do drop tunings. When I explain that I use 9-42 on my guitars they look at me in amazement and ask why it doesn't fart out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There really aren't strings that you can just downtune without losing any benefits.

The simple thing of guitar is this:

- downtuning needs heavier strings.

- standard tuning needs lighter strings.
Quote by xicetraex
D'addario EXL140 is probably your best bet. Those are probably the thickest strings you can comfortably throw on your guitar and play in standard tuning with.

Awesome, they seem cheap on amazon, too. Thanks.

Quote by Guitar Sushi
There really aren't strings that you can just downtune without losing any benefits.

The simple thing of guitar is this:

- downtuning needs heavier strings.

- standard tuning needs lighter strings.

I know. That's why I said in the original post that I wanted strings that would work without sacrificing too much if I wanted to go back to standard. I know that you can't have the best of both worlds, just wanted a happy-medium.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
go with a set of 11's. they're 1 gauge heavier than regular strings and they should be able to pull off both tunings quite well (heavy enough to to be super sloppy, light enough to still bend and whatnot).
I also own a Harley Benton strat. I use(or used to) 10's or 11's and they were okay. But seriously,throw this piece of crap guitar away soon. I cannot stress how much a Cort for 200 bucks pwns the HB.
Quote by chargerbandit
I also own a Harley Benton strat. I use(or used to) 10's or 11's and they were okay. But seriously,throw this piece of crap guitar away soon. I cannot stress how much a Cort for 200 bucks pwns the HB.

Yeah, I've got another thread up asking for suggestions

It's not that bad for the price, but now I play more, I do want to upgrade.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by Robbgnarly
I laugh when people say light strings can't do drop tunings. When I explain that I use 9-42 on my guitars they look at me in amazement and ask why it doesn't fart out.

It's not that they can't do it, it's just that the lack of tension is unbearable for many people. I hate the amount of slack a set of 9s has when dropped a step. I have 12s in drop B and I'd prefer them to be tighter..
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex