ill get to it, im starting to learn theroy and already getting a little lost. I wanted to know
what the hell a root note means! maybe put it in laymens terms because i just dont get it.

thanks!
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
A chord consists of multiple notes. One of these are the "root", the others harmonize with the root to create the chord.

In a C major chord, for an example, you would have three notes, C, E and G. C is the root, the main part of the chord, so to say, while the E and the G adds to the sound.

So, in laymans terms: The root note is the one that the chord is named for.
Quote by Nashag
A chord consists of multiple notes. One of these are the "root", the others harmonize with the root to create the chord.

In a C major chord, for an example, you would have three notes, C, E and G. C is the root, the main part of the chord, so to say, while the E and the G adds to the sound.

So, in laymans terms: The root note is the one that the chord is named for.

0o0o0oh got it so would i be able to play that chord on different parts of the neck?
sorry for the dumb questions but "root" keeps coming up and im failing to see the importance other then what you explained to me
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
Quote by dogtags99
so would i be able to play that chord on different parts of the neck?

Absolutely. If you are playing a C major chord, anywhere on the neck that you can find C, E, and G, you can play a C major chord.

For example, you can play:

e|-0-----8----3----12--
B|-1-----8----5----13--
G|-0-----9----5----12--
D|-2----10----5----10--
A|-3----10----3--------
E|-------8-------------

That's 4 different C major chords in different places on the neck. And those are just some of the ones with the root note as the lowest note. There's still a ton of them with the fifth in the base and such. But that's for another lesson.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Theory can be tough, not because it's hard to understand necessarily but because it's so BADLY taught by most people, schools and books. When the info is given to you in the correct way you'll wonder why you ever found it difficult to understand.
In the most basic context;
A root note chord is a chord where the root of the chord is played in the bass, for example, a C major chord consists of the notes CEG, playing it in root position you would play the C in the bass... However when you get inversion you can play it differently for example, ECG this is a still a C major chord just with the E in the bass instead of C
got it makes more sense to me now,thanks for the help boys
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000