Hello, I was planning on purchasing a bigsby tremolo for my Epiphone g400, and was wondering if it would fit. I've heard that Epiphones and gibsons are different, so I'm just making sure it will fit before I go and waste money. Here is the link to the bigsby I plan on buying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bigsby-B50-Guitar-Vibrato-SG-Tele-Chrome-/110751202612?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19c9493d34

Also, When putting strings on a guitar with a bigsby, how does that work? It's not through body, obviously, and it's not a stop piece. I don't know, just curious.

If any of this information helps, I have 2 dimarzio super distortion humbucking pickups, .54 strings and a stop piece. Thanks in advance
NO, gibson parts like bridges etc dont fit on epis.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
it should fit. It's not really designed for gibson imo, it's just a generic tremolo that you can fit on any guitar (with exception for some weird shapes)

string-wise....this particular one has like a thingie on the cylinder in the back, that you hook the strings on, then you wrap it around the back cylinder, run underneath the front cylinder and then over you bridge to the tuners. Just type bigsby B50 into google images and you'll see ^^ There are also guides on youtube how to restring a bigsby
Quote by Tom 1.0
NO, gibson parts like bridges etc dont fit on epis.

Damn....where can I get a bigsby tremolo that would fit an epi?
Yes you can, but it will require some pretty extensive work.

1.Youll have to pull out all the bushings in the body from the stop bar and TOM bridge.
2. fill the holes with wood dowels
3. Re-drill new holes at the apropriate spacing.
4. ect.
5. ect.

Or you can look for one of the licensed Bigsby units, I'm pretty sure they make one that is metric spaced. But don't quote me on that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Well I was planning on having my local guitar shop do it for me! ha! their service is absolutely awful though. it took them about a MONTH just to put new pickups in my sg!!! is that ridiculous or what???!! and i was there once and I asked for a speaker cable to connect my cab to my head. he says "yeah, they are right behind the counter". customers aren't allowed behind there obviously. Right before he grabs it, he starts talking to thus guy and he doesnt stop for like 20 minutes, no lie. Now my bassist in my band is getting his tube amp repaired and its already been over a week and its not done yet.

So if I give them my guitar to put the tremolo on it, I should have it back, oh about next year! haha
Quote by Robbgnarly

1.Youll have to pull out all the bushings in the body from the stop bar and TOM bridge.
2. fill the holes with wood dowels
3. Re-drill new holes at the apropriate spacing.
4. ect.
5. ect.

Or you can look for one of the licensed Bigsby units, I'm pretty sure they make one that is metric spaced. But don't quote me on that.

not necessarily, you can get vibramate for SG (check here http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-model-chart.php to see if you model is supported) and then you just replace the stopbar, no re-drilling of holes needed.
guitarcenter, amazon, ebay...they seem to have them pretty much everywhere i looked ^^
actualy I just googled it, and they have made epi's with bigsby's. So I'm sure they make one that will fit with no modifications to the body besides the actual bigsby.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KorYi
guitarcenter, amazon, ebay...they seem to have them pretty much everywhere i looked ^^

So buy this then buy the bigsby? Im not exactly sure what to do
edit: ^yes, that one should work (unless you have some weird non-standard tail-piece installed). Just check how far behind your bridge reaches you pick-guard. The V5 takes quite a lot of space and it might be in way. In that case you might need V5-ST which is little bit smaller.

well it depends...the best solution imo is to buy bigsby and have a professional install it on you guitar directly.

other possibility is to buy vibramate. Advantage of this is that you can just change it yourself and if you don't like the bigsby, you can easily change it back to the stopbar. The downside of this solutions is that the position of the bigsby relative to the bridge is bit different with vibramate than when it's mounted directly. I don't know to what extent this affect the experience as i don't have bigsby/vibramate myself.
Last edited by KorYi at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by KorYi
well it depends...the best solution imo is to buy bigsby and have a professional install it on you guitar directly.

other possibility is to buy vibramate. Advantage of this is that you can just change it yourself and if you don't like the bigsby, you can easily change it back to the stopbar. The downside of this solutions is that the position of the bigsby relative to the bridge is bit different with vibramate than when it's mounted directly. I don't know to what extent this affect the experience as i don't have bigsby/vibramate myself.

Okay thanks, I'm gonna end up paying pretty much the same amount no matter which option I go with. I might as well just buy the actual b5 made by bigsby and have the professionals install it for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-USA-Made-Bigsby-B5-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-/390349944778?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ae2ab77ca

I'll probably just buy this. You are absoloutely certain they can get this to fit right?
well, it's their job to make it fit ^^ And yea, it should fit, there's plenty of space on SG and as long as the surface of the SG is flat, there shouldn't be any problems.

edit: typo
Last edited by KorYi at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by KorYi
well, it's their job to make it fit ^^ And yea, it should fit, there's plenty of space on SG and as long as the surface of the SG is flat, there should be any problems.

Ok, thanks for all of your help! I'll buy the polished aluminum one. I really don't like giving my local guitar shop my money though. and going so long without my guitar can't be healthy haha!