I tried a set of these strings. They were brighter than Elixirs, which I normally use, when I first put them on, but the day after, they already started to die. Did I get a bad set, or do they always do this?
Strings do tend to be a little brighter at first. As they stretch, some of that brightness is lost. All strings tend to do this.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I tend to prefer my strings a little more mellow. That's why I use the same strings for a year, if not longer. I just keep them clean and oiled, to prevent them from rusting. Rusty strings sound bad.
That is not a bad set, that is D'Addario. That is why I don't use them, the tone dies the day after and they end up feeling horrible.
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
Quote by j-falafel
That is not a bad set, that is D'Addario. That is why I don't use them, the tone dies the day after and they end up feeling horrible.

bullshit, I've used daddario for 5 years now and Ive never had a bad set, never had rust issues, never needed to oil them either.

They're great strings, probbably the best, in my opinion anyway...
Quote by grimms
bullshit, I've used daddario for 5 years now and Ive never had a bad set, never had rust issues, never needed to oil them either.

They're great strings, probbably the best, in my opinion anyway...

Yeah im with grimms on this one, I(like you) was a die hard user of elixir strings, but the one thing i hated about them was that the were just too bright for me for the first week or so so id play the shit out of them till they mellowed out.

Now, just two weeks ago i got my first set of d'addario strings and holy hell, they are everything i've every wanted. They are, contrary to what you said, warmer than the elixirs(to me anyways) and have kept they're tone without changing or any problems at all for the last two weeks(and trust me, they've had some pretty solid abuse).

So i realise that im not the best person to ask on this topic, but mate, I would go right back to the store you bought those from, take them back and try them again with a new set(i'm pretty sure that if you told them, 'hey you know i got these strings a few days ago and the tone really just died out after a few days and i would really like to get another set, is there anything we can work out?') im sure you could get a free set.

sorry for the blocks but, i'm feeling pretty typative.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
If you really want a bright sound that lasts then try D'Addario 85/15 Hybrid strings.
They lasted me a while and remained bright for a good period.
If your tone died the next day, that's probably a bad set. I use D'Addorios almost exclusively, though I do like the Elixir Nanowebs. I'm using EXP's right now and finding them to have the best of both the Elixir Nanowebs and the D'Addario phosphor bronzes.

For those who like mellow strings, I find that the D'Addario Silk and Steels are very mellow, very LOUD, and easy to play. Hammer-ons really have a big impact with the Silk & Steels. They do lose tone very, very fast IMO, but while they have it they're great. Fortunately, they are also inexpensive.
You know, Ibanez stakes its corporate reputation on D'Addario strings. All their acoustics ship with EXP-16's (Acoustic Light, coated, .12 to .52). Many other manufacturers do as well.

I have an ash body Ibanez AE, (Exotic Wood series). Believe me, it sounds like an acoustic Telecaster, for a good 2 weeks at least after a string change.

Other than that, our OP sounds like an Elixir fanboi, looking for an excuse to hate on D'Addario. Nah, that couldn't be possible, could it....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 16, 2011,
i dont bother oiling my elixers, i just eat nachos first. i wash my hands for my d'addario's...... seriously, i use them both but prefer the d'addarios, they dont have that wierd waxy feel that the elixers do.
Strings sound very different on each guitar. Elixirs and D'Addario sound terrible on my Martin, but DR Rare's are absolutely stunning, as are John Pearse and Martin Eric Claptons. You just need to find what's good for you.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Okay...How bright are Martin Lifespan strings? I've been looking into those as well.