It's expensive because of the guitar's specs, the relic is a cosmetic prosedure to make the guitar look as if you actually played it since '56.
Sonically, it won't affect your tone. But it was made the way they were made in the 50s, so that's the sounds you can expect, more or less
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
You don't need an expensive guitar

You need a good guitar, which would be expensive. But clearly not as outrageous what you posted.
well it's probably not only expensive because it's a relic. that's a custom shop model as far as i'm aware.

but yeah the relicing will bump the price up a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Samhuinn
It's expensive because of the guitar's specs, the relic is a cosmetic prosedure to make the guitar look as if you actually played it since '56.
Sonically, it won't affect your tone. But it was made the way they were made in the 50s, so that's the sounds you can expect, more or less

Is relic a procedure that could be understood as "aging" the guitar?

I don't want to do it, and i'm not obsessed. But would Fender or some place do relics? How much would one cost?
plus it's a NAMM guitar and those tend to get a bit of attention in the build process.

so it's a master built guitar.
They don't make the guitar older, if that's what you're asking. As far as I know they make it look older and that's all.

I don't think Fender will do custom shops for you if you're not a very well known guitarist or have an unbelievable amount of money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
well it's probably not only expensive because it's a relic. that's a custom shop model as far as i'm aware.

but yeah the relicing will bump the price up a bit.

I've been sigged?? What is this nonsense!?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
Is relic a procedure that could be understood as "aging" the guitar?

I don't want to do it, and i'm not obsessed. But would Fender or some place do relics? How much would one cost?

fender won't just take any guitar and do that. there are guitar builders that will however as mentioned it would be very expensive to have it done right.

waste of money in my book. you want a guitar that looks like it's seen a lot of action well buy a guitar and use it regularly in a bar band for a few years and lw and behold you will have a reliced guitar. more importantly you will have the war stories to go with every scratch and ding. SRV's main axe or Rory Gallagher's guitars are beat to shit but have so much history behind them. this is what makes them cool not because some tech artificially beat them up
Quote by GibsonMan321
I've been sigged?? What is this nonsense!?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender Custom Shop: the guys who charge you to make your guitar look old.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by gregs1020

WhErEz tEh ab4l0n3???

Oh god, did schecter and esp deplete the worlds supply of abalone yet?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Fender's Custom Shop is pretty reasonable as far as major companies go. For a Custom Strat you'd be talking £2k-ish, pretty reasonable when you consider a bare bones ESP will normally be about double that
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by monwobobbo

waste of money in my book. you want a guitar that looks like it's seen a lot of action well buy a guitar and use it regularly in a bar band for a few years and lw and behold you will have a reliced guitar. more importantly you will have the war stories to go with every scratch and ding. SRV's main axe or Rory Gallagher's guitars are beat to shit but have so much history behind them. this is what makes them cool not because some tech artificially beat them up

Agree.
Quote by gregs1020
UG has so much relic hate.

WhErEz tEh ab4l0n3???

Where's your spellcheck?
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by gregs1020
UG has so much relic hate.

WhErEz tEh ab4l0n3???

Well, since abalone does not contribute to a guitar's feel or tone at all, relics make a bit more sense to me (although the relicing having an effect on the tone is highly debatable).
But hey, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to a guitar's aesthetics anyway.
Relics just feel so nicely worn-in and I like how they look too.

One day I'm going to buy a nice Custom Shop heavy relic HSS Strat.