Hey guys Im playin guitar a long time and have many fanatically stupid bad habits =) i want to really set my mind to getting down theory and widening my understanding of what im actually doing when I compose.

I have often had attempts at learning theory and scales but it just seems so vast. What I was thinking of doing is maybe starting with a scale say C Ionian and trying to understand everything to do with that scale for instance which chords work with it and how it relates to other scales.

I am using a seven string and want to apply the theory to that from the get go. My problem is that I end up getting distracted and unsure of how I should apply my time.

Does anyone have a good Idea of how to structure a study session, and what way to make everything sort of link up so that it is making sense. I want to try and learn how some chords work over some scales and why but any websites I look at have SO many variations that its a bit daunting.

What techniques did you guys use when beginning theory and *If you knew then what you knew now what would you have done differently???

Danke
Take AP Music Theory.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
I surfed the internet.
Stupid teachers in real life taught me nothing but how to play songs with chords.
I got into theory quite early compared to my other friends, which are way behind me even though they have played for longer than me.
My point is that all you need to know can be found at the internet, and learning it should be one of your higher priorities of your playing.
C Ionian is a mode of C Major, just like A minor (A aeolian).
Countless of lessons can be found at youtube explaining you everything.
C Ionian is not a scale. you are thinking of C major. learn the C major scale and do not even look into "modes" (ionian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian, phygerian, dorian, locrian.) until you know scales.

scales are not as complicated as you think. you need know very limited amount of information to be able to learn and apply scales.

basicly look up what a "root" note is. then just learn the notes of the scale. the root note is the "key" the scale is in. you can move along the low e string. keep the same forms and this will change the key.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
so would you suggest just learningf as many scales as possible before even looking at modes?
i think he saying have a basic understanding of basic scales,not just learning "as many scales as possible", before moving on to modes and stuff which can really be really confusing
check out "the advancing guitarist" if you want to apply theory to the instrument. if your struggling with the basics, once you understand them get some manuscript paper, and practice writing them out (for example, a major scale) in all 12 keys, then start relating them (for example write out the I chord for each major scale, and the key signature in all 12 keys)
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Bryan,

What options are on the table in your situation?

There are many ways to skin that cat, from free lessons (which UG has a lot of them) to approaches where a more personalized, guitar centric approach is followed, specific to your development needs, but which are not free.

Best,

Sean
Quote by JB95
I surfed the internet.
Stupid teachers in real life taught me nothing but how to play songs with chords.
I got into theory quite early compared to my other friends, which are way behind me even though they have played for longer than me.
My point is that all you need to know can be found at the internet, and learning it should be one of your higher priorities of your playing.

lol no
modes are a social construct
Quote by JB95
I surfed the internet.

Yeah, uh...

NO

Best,

Sean