Hello UG, around 3:50 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bztv9BcGeVc Phil is showing his SG. It has a Maestro and a wrap around bridge on it so you can choose between the two when stringing the guitar. I thought that was pretty cool, and it just so happens I am planning out my first guitar build and I would love to include that on it, but would it be difficult to do for a beginner? also, I would like to do a neck thru but would that be too tough as well? I have some experience using wood working machines (if that helps at all).

Help is much appreciated, Thanks
not really neccesary to build your own guitar if you can afford a finished one...
Especially not if you're a beginner.
Wood working machines aren't necessarily helpful if you're a beginner in guitar playing. I would strongy advice you against this idea. Your comments about a Maestro guitar make me think you know nothing about wood, guitar shape, pickups, bridges, and the relationship between them. You better learn to buy a guitar first (and the first step would be to recognize a crappy axe, like all Maestros!), then you might think of playing it for a few years, then you can start modding an existing one, and only after these compulsory experiences you might start thinking about how to build a guitar.
Quote by rv_phoenix
Wood working machines aren't necessarily helpful if you're a beginner in guitar playing. I would strongy advice you against this idea. Your comments about a Maestro guitar make me think you know nothing about wood, guitar shape, pickups, bridges, and the relationship between them. You better learn to buy a guitar first (and the first step would be to recognize a crappy axe, like all Maestros!), then you might think of playing it for a few years, then you can start modding an existing one, and only after these compulsory experiences you might start thinking about how to build a guitar.

I have been playing for 5 years and a bit, and you are right, I don't know much about a guitars components. I am looking to learn about it a bit by trying mods and stuff. So this is probably to big of a step for me?
Jeez, guys. Real supportive.
This particular guitar you mention (a GIBSON with a MAETSRO tailpiece not a MAESTRO guitar, rv) is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Everyone is a beginner at some point. Other than your usual technical things you should know that when you build with any kind of tune-o-matic bridge you need to angle the neck so that you can properly set the action. Look at any Gibson or similar from the side and you'll see that if the body were laying flat the headstock drops lower. This is not so tricky that it should dissuade you but it does make for a harder first build especially if you want a neck through.
Your experience as a player should have no effect on your ability to build.
Good luck!