Ok so im learning a song and one of the chords is Am 69. The original artist plays it as
x 0 1 2 0 0. So the chord would be 1 #4 5 9.

How is it a 69 chord if there is no 6th? And is it still Amin without the defining b3? Was the author of the songbook sloppy or is this theoretically acceptable? If he is wrong, what would be the more accurate term to use when describing this chord? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your time!

edit: i messed up! it was supposed to be x04500. my bad!
Last edited by xdankxnugzxcore at Oct 16, 2011,
I think a minor chord should have the b3,otherwise the minor property is missing.

As for the chord,can it be called an augmented 4th Am9?
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Quote by fireaxx789
simba1312 it'd be Aadd9(#11)

Oh yeah,thanks.I'd forgotten about the 11th!!!
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Quote by fireaxx789
simba1312 it'd be Aadd9(#11)

thanks fireaxe! are you 100 percent certain that is right? not to be a nag, but im planning to go to college for composition and i just need to make sure im not learning anything incorrectly. thanks again
not a 6/9 chord from A. Its like an Asus#11 maybe? Not really a functional voicing though.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by xdankxnugzxcore
Ok so im learning a song and one of the chords is Am 69. The original artist plays it as
x 0 1 2 0 0. So the chord would be 1 #4 5 9.

How is it a 69 chord if there is no 6th? And is it still Amin without the defining b3? Was the author of the songbook sloppy or is this theoretically acceptable? If he is wrong, what would be the more accurate term to use when describing this chord? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your time!

edit: i messed up! it was supposed to be x04500. my bad!

You have a Root 6, b7, 9 and E is the 5th

There is no 3rd, to call that a minor chord. In fact, that b7 could suggest a minor or dominant 7th, absent of any context.

Best,

Sean