I'm considering getting an electro acoustic soon however I know very little about them. I currently have an acoustic Elevation guitar which I got when I first started to learn and an electric guitar however I prefer playing the acoustic, as this one was fairly cheap its starting to wear away on the fret board and I'm looking to improve. Will the electro acoustic work with my electric guitar amp? What strings does it use is there an electro acoustic string pack? Does it sound like an acoustic unplugged and as loud as one? Any recommendations?

Charlie
i dont have anysuggestionston righ tnow but i can answer those questions

yes the electric acoustic will work on you electric guitar amp...not sure if it will osund good just saying
and electric acoutsituse regular acoustic strings
and most electrc acoustis are just an acoustic with a pick up hiddne under the saddle so for the most part they will sound the same
it will sound the same plugged in but you may experience some feedback other than that its still just an acoustic guitar you can plug in it will sound the same
Quote by CharlieeeBeee
....[ ]....Will the electro acoustic work with my electric guitar amp? What strings does it use is there an electro acoustic string pack? Does it sound like an acoustic unplugged and as loud as one? Any recommendations?

Charlie
You can use an acoustic with an electric amp. However, you must use the amps clean channel, and keep the volume at reasonable levels. If the amp starts to distort at all, you lose the acoustic sound. If your amp is a "Krankenstein", you're shit out of luck.

As to feedback, many Ibanez preamps have a feature called, "Shape Shifter" which helps to dial out feedback. That said, it only goes so far. On stage, working with monitors and a PA, you'd likely need a sound hole cover as well.

Most A-E guitars have a "piezoelectric" under saddle "transducer". They work by turning vibration into electrical signals. Electric guitar pickups work by magnetic induction. You use the same bronze wound acoustic string sets on acoustic electric guitars, and NOT nickel wound electric strings.

Many acoustic electric guitars have cutaways and internal electronics boxes, this makes them not quite as loud as would be the identical model, acoustic only, with no cutaway.

However, they're still plenty loud enough, and sound like acoustic guitars, plugged or unplugged. Not to worry.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 16, 2011,
Sorry for the thread invading but if I used an electro acoustic on the "acoustic" simulator on my amp, would the sound be better or would I rather use the clean channel?
Depends what you want. If you're looking for a "clean" acoustic sound, a sound that's as close as possible to what the guitar sounds like unamplified, then that's the way to go.
However, feel free to experiment. Lots of artists find a bit of some effect or other punches up the sound of an acoustic in a way they like.
Remember, the electronics in a typical acoustic/electric add about 100-150 dollars to the cost. So, a very cheap instrument is going to cut a lot of corners.
Better to go up a grade or two and get a guitar that sounds nice acoustically and also has a pickup.
Some tone purists would argue that it is better to put an after-market pickup into a regular acoustic guitar. That way, if you upgrade your guitar in the future you can use the pickup on the new guitar. If you are purchasing a very inexpensive guitar, you may get more tone for your dollar that way.

I bought a new guitar recently (Larrivee's "entry level" LV-03re) and did not take this advice. Mind you, Larrivee's notion of "entry level" is still pretty darn good, so I'm happy with the quality of electronics and tone. This was my first electric acoustic, and I must say that having a built-in tuner on the guitar is much handier than I ever realized it would be -- particularly since I change tunings a lot.

You will receive much more useful recommendations on a guitar once you tell us your budget and the kind of music you like to play.

Happy guitar hunting!
Quote by mielieHobo
Sorry for the thread invading but if I used an electro acoustic on the "acoustic" simulator on my amp, would the sound be better or would I rather use the clean channel?
My best guess is that "acoustic simulator", is a digital mdeling effect, to make an electric sound like an acoustic guitar. This effect is also available in several stomp boxes. Here's a couple of pedals at zZoounds: http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Acoustic-Guitar-Simulators--2609

To obtain the best traditional sound out of your acoustic, you should use the clean amp channel, and if your amp has pre and post gain settings, pre gain should be kept fairly well down.

Then, obtain the volume desired with post gain. This avoids distortion by not overdriving the pre amp section. Keep in mind, with onboard preamps, AE guitars can have at least as much output as guitars with passive magnetic pickups.

But by all means, feel free to experiment. Interesting actually, would an acoustic modeling pedal make an acoustic guitar twice as acoustic sounding? You'll have to get back to us on that