Well, my previous venture into the guitar forum was a success, so thought I'd push my luck and try again.

I'm almost-kinda-maybe in the market for a new guitar. (As in, I know I want one, but current lack of funds mean it's either a long way off, or a family member dies/heart grows four sizes at christmas...) I've got a few big guitar shops near me, and so I'm not looking for a 'YOU MUST BUY THIS' kind of suggestion, moreover I'd like to build a list of possible choices that I can try out for myself.

I know you need more info to go on, so here we go:

-First things first, I'm not a pro/l33t/etc guitarist. I play bass, and bass is all I'll play live. Guitar is just there for me to mess about with, which I've been doing quite a lot. So no Ibanez prestige suggestions, please.

-I'm currently using a Harley Benton 'eBay special', that I got for about £140 over five years ago. Power tele (I think that's the word you guys use ) with two humbuckers in a tele body shape. It's ok, but has many niggles that are adding up over the years.

-I play mainly metal, with some occasional punk/pop punk, but a decent clean tone is always nice to have.

-Budget would be at the most, £350 - preferably well below that. I don't mind second hand, If that's suggested. Ideally I'm looking at £200-£250.

-My amp is crap atm. It's a cheap, own brand bass amp, so bear that in mind. I play through a marshall Guv'nor GV2.

-I'm undecided as to whether I want a tremolo or not. persuade me either way.

If I get a lot of responses, I'll update this post with various suggestions in their respective price ranges. (Easy for me to refer to, and perhaps useful for others in the same position).

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
In that pricerange the Yamaha 112v is a good guitar to buy. I got it myself and i don't regret buying it.
Quote by gman128
very open ended, which brands/ shapes do u like?

I love me an ibanez, and could do worse than an rg-ish shape. Really, I'll try anything, except hollow bodies, and maybe telecasters. Not a fan of the overtly 'metal' shapes with all the spikes etc either.

Quote by <<I>>
In that pricerange the Yamaha 112v is a good guitar to buy. I got it myself and i don't regret buying it.

Awesome, I'll have a look at it when i get my laptop back off my wife..! (on my phone ATM.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Last edited by ToolBass_dude at Oct 16, 2011,
Quote by ToolBass_dude
I love me an ibanez, and could do worse than an rg-ish shape. Really, I'll try anything, except hollow bodies, and maybe telecasters. Not a fan of the overtly 'metal' shapes with all the spikes etc either.

RG321? Given that they are 300 dollars here they should be less than 300 quid over there.

A solid guitar, although I could see a really thin neck like the wizard being an issue for a bass player...
Quote by hawk5211
RG321? Given that they are 300 dollars here they should be less than 300 quid over there.

A solid guitar, although I could see a really thin neck like the wizard being an issue for a bass player...

Hence why I'll try before I buy

They seem to be sub-£200, although most on eBay are shipped from America. Pretty much exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
yamaha pacifica would be a good buy. I learnt on them and they are very nice to play for the price
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Hence why I'll try before I buy

They seem to be sub-£200, although most on eBay are shipped from America. Pretty much exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though

I love mine! I will say that the stock pickups are a bit weak, but on a cheaper amp you wont notice the difference.