ok so i have always wondered, why does ibanez design their own bridges? i know tehy are floyd styles but modified.

Are they better than OFR bridges? do tehy do it to cut cost or are these new styles of Floyd really better?

ive heard mostly has stuff about edge bridges and it appears that OFR bridges are the holy grail and can do no wrong. if thats teh case, if i was buying a shredder i would take my butt over to the charvel rack (if i wanted to drop a grand or so).

so basically, as a whole whats the deal with ibanex guitars? not just their bridges, but i notice they have huge plastc covers for their 5 way switches, etc. they do a lot of stuff that catches my eye and i cant tell if it is for the better or worse.
not better, not worse
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
The bridges on the Ibanez prestige models are very good. Just as good or better than the OFR. But it really depends on what you're looking for. There's a reason why whammy bar masters like Satriani and Vai have the edge bridge on their sig guitars. The lopro edge (low profile edge) on my 18 year old s540 still stays in tune perfectly and has a very reactive 'feel' to it.

Where you get into trouble with Ibanez floating bridges is the lower end guitars that have the universally disliked Edge III. Not too sure what the new edge 2 zero bridges in the newer low end RGs are like tho, so it's possible that any 2010 year or newer might not have that Achilles heel. Then again, you buy a $350 guitar with a floating trem, you're asking for trouble IMO.

The ZR bridges on the S series are very good. Specially on guitars that start @ $500.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
While the features many not be for everyone, the Ibanez Edge fixed some of the common complaints with the Floyd, and the LoPro went even further than the Edge by making it more ergonomical. They took a great design, and fixed the gripes, which is always a good thing. I know Floyd makes a Low Profile trem, but that was after the LoPro, and still isn't the standard issue Floyd(and costs more).

Ibanez continues to make the Edge series more revolutionary, though some people don't mind the attributes of the previous models so it doesn't matter to them.

Me, I pefer the pop in trem arm to the collar design, and the intonation tool of the Edge Zero(though I admit I've only used it on the ZR). And the ZPS offers greater stability that the Floyd never offered.
The upper-end Ibanez guitars come with the ZPS system which makes the bridge more stable and it allows you to change tunings more easily. Ibanez also has the ZR bridges which have ball bearing joints. Floyd Rose, as far as I know, doesn't have anything like them.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
The upper-end Ibanez guitars come with the ZPS system which makes the bridge more stable and it allows you to change tunings more easily. Ibanez also has the ZR bridges which have ball bearing joints. Floyd Rose, as far as I know, doesn't have anything like them.

Almost all Ibanezes with trems come with the ZPS now. The Edge III is being phased out IIRC.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Personally I like the trem. on my Prestiges better than ANY OFR I've seen. Especially with the ZPS3 and ZR additions. The Edge Zero trem. is easier to set intonation on as well. When changing string sizes, the ZPS3 thingy (yes, another techie term) makes balancing the bridge a matter of 60 seconds if you're slow and eating lunch at the same time. Mine hold a tune for months sometimes. As for the trem on the lower end Ibeys., their not as good as those on the Prestiges, but still work well for me. And about the plastic cover on the switch, that's just on the Indonesia/Korea models I believe. I've never seen it on a MIJ. For that matter, it's not even on my RG5 (MII).
Because Floyds are ugly.

Have you seen an Edge in profile? Oh my god, so ****ing sexy. My fixed Edge III-8 is like a damn star cruiser.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by IbanezBossShred
Personally I like the trem. on my Prestiges better than ANY OFR I've seen. Especially with the ZPS3 and ZR additions. The Edge Zero trem. is easier to set intonation on as well. When changing string sizes, the ZPS3 thingy (yes, another techie term) makes balancing the bridge a matter of 60 seconds if you're slow and eating lunch at the same time. Mine hold a tune for months sometimes. As for the trem on the lower end Ibeys., their not as good as those on the Prestiges, but still work well for me. And about the plastic cover on the switch, that's just on the Indonesia/Korea models I believe. I've never seen it on a MIJ. For that matter, it's not even on my RG5 (MII).

On the plastic cover on the switching it is actually not about where it is ,made but the series i havent seen any RG's witht hat but all S ones do.
Ibanez do it because it's cheaper than making a licensed Floyd or buying Floyds in. Ibanez are big on using as many of their own parts as possible, same as Carvin and Gibson.
Quote by Dayn
Because Floyds are ugly.

Have you seen an Edge in profile? Oh my god, so ****ing sexy. My fixed Edge III-8 is like a damn star cruiser.

It's like an F-18 bro
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Something Ive noticed thats better about the Ibanez bridges is the whammy bar socket. It doesnt rattle when loose like the OFR.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1